PDA

View Full Version : Ideal truck up-grade(s)

Max_Nani
05-28-2002, 23:53
Newbie...thank you to all forum members.

I've been following this forum the day I got my truck last December, 2001. I have no mechanical experience (except regular maintenance) and/or towing experience. :(

If you have $1,000 to spend, what upgrade will you do first with your truck? (ex. auxiliary tank, EDGE, Kennedy exhaust, etc)

Thank you again.
Nani :mad: :mad:

stretch
05-29-2002, 02:55
Up the anty a few hundred and get both. Kennedy exhaust and the Edge "juice" are both quality products that once you have it, you can't figure out how you lived without it. :D

[ 05-29-2002: Message edited by: stretch ]</p>

pullinpower
05-29-2002, 06:34
I would go with the edge/amp box and a transfer flow fuel tank in the bed. :D

AzKevin
05-29-2002, 12:33
Max_Nani,

Welcome aboard!

As you no doubt already know, by far the best hp/torque bang for the buck is the Edge Juice box. :D

But since you tow a ~30ft (?) trailer I'd say boost/EGT gauges and then the Edge box. Posts have reported the Edge box indeed improves shift business while towing.

All indications are that exhaust mods have negligible hp/torque return for the dollar invested. Aside from that there can be more noise or resonations which may or may not be an issue to you. The stock exhaust system was designed to maintain reasonable EGTs levels while towing at the max 22000# GCVWR. Adding the Juice (power levels 1 or 2 ) with gauges should provide a safe tow solution for loads less than max GCVWR! smile.gif

[ 05-29-2002: Message edited by: AzKevin ]</p>

Kennedy
05-29-2002, 12:46
While it IS true that HP gains from exhaust are negligible when tested on a dyno, the real world results are much different. In order to get fuel, you must first move air and the ECM must see this.

Most that have upgraded the exhaust report much quicker response, and that counts for something!

Case in point: I recently spoke with a member of the Chicago White Sox (irrelevant, but good conversation) looking to upgrade his exhaust, as his buddy (also CWS player had just done the upgrade, and now the upgraded truck would spank the stocker whereas before they were dead even... Now they are BOTH similarly equipped AND JUICED!!!

I really haven't had the time (nor care to do so) to do a trace print before/after on the dyno, but I do believe there will be a difference seen, just not huge at the peak levels

MAXed Out
05-29-2002, 13:47
O.k.,

I agree with Kennedy but I'll throw in a slow curve ball which will strike out the entire CWS bench. Let's not exclude the aesthetics! Max_Nani was not specific about "performance" upgrades in his topic. That being said, I first added Weld rims. Of course, I can't wait to also add the Juice, guages, and exhaust!

Redhawk
05-29-2002, 14:39
Welcome to the forum. I notice that you will be towing and for that reason you will probably lean towards performance upgrades. However, after towing about 10,000 miles so far, I can tell you these are great trucks with plenty of power with the stock setup. However the lust for more power is almost irresistable. If you go that way, IMHO you will want an egt gauge for sure and maybe a boost gauge, so figure that cost into a power upgrade.

I went for the stainless running boards and forged alum wheels, in-bed tank and Line-x, and maybe down the line I'll go for more power. Don't forget the Zaino beauty products. My .02

TLA
05-29-2002, 14:40
For towing, I think guages are a must - pulling a long hill can raise EGT a lot higher than you think, and you need to know where you are.
My Kennedy 4" exhaust dropped the EGT 150 - 200 degrees on a long pull, and I do believe that response off the line is a lot quicker, but I cannot document it.
These items laid the ground work for the "Juice", which I think will really help the towing. Edge has dyno charts on it's web site, and they document what we are getting in the seat of our pants. I hope to pull a load of hay this week, and will report back.

sonofagun
05-29-2002, 15:10
Max_Nani,

Welcome to the site! Be sure you get you dealer to update your ECM and PCM for you that is free and will make some improvement to shifting, lopey idle, cruise control while towing, etc.

I would buy an extra fuel tank (I've got a 43 gal across the bed tank from American Tank in Dallas (auxtank.com) that allows me a range of 850 miles towing (my tank needs attention a lot sooner than that!! smile.gif . I would add a SPA digital EGT/Boost guage (get it from John Kennedy). I would add Kennedy's headlight conversion if you tow at night. That totals more than $1000. I would spend my next $1000 on a 4" exhaust and some of Jason Pendlum's interior stuff (suburban style visors, steering wheel stereo control, homelink) (jpcustoms.com). I would hold off on the Juice (or other module) for a bit longer. These trucks are still new and the after market guys are getting better on the power modules but they will just get better for the next year or so. Our trucks pull a lot without power upgrades and I'm not anxious to reduce the longevity of my truck by jumping on the GO FAST stuff too quickly.

Good luck,
Bob

YZF1R
05-29-2002, 17:35
Well, for the mechanical "What will make your turbo diesel happy?" Let it breathe easy. Easy in, easy out. (intake and exhaust) And lots of good, clean oil for everything. Might as well throw in the gauges too. They will tell you alot.

Steve

Max_Nani
05-30-2002, 17:37
Thanks for quick replies.

My wife (she don't trust my mechanical expertise)dropped off the truck yesterday to the dealer for tire roration, oil and gear oil change. Dealr re-programing my keyless remote again (3x).

Pullinpower/Kennedy: still debating which way to go. Kennedy exhaust or transfer flow fuel tank in the bed. I Average 14-15/mph city/highway (no towing).

AzKevin: I need to read more EGT/boost gauges.

Son of a gun: Do I really need this ECM and PCM upgrages?

[ 05-30-2002: Message edited by: Max_Nani ]</p>