PDA

View Full Version : Where can I learn about EGT's and boost?

needbigtruck
05-29-2002, 20:59
I installed the ISOPRO boost and EGT gages. I pulled my 5500lb travel trailer last weekend. The temp went into the yellow quite regularly when accelerating from a stop to spped. and once on a pass it went into the red for a second (I had shifted from 6th to 5th). Are the color markings just arbitrary? I assume since they are desighned for diesel's that the colors mean something! My truck is stock, yet it appears I am getting all the power the engine can produce safely, based on being able to get it into the red. I guess I'd like to find some book that can explain all this to me. Thanks

mackin
05-29-2002, 21:07
needbigtruck,

Well, it depends on the motor, manufactory and your mods ......

Stock max boost is 22 that is what wastegate is set for .. EGT vary on load .... 1200* has been mentioned here frequently as a norm , or can be reached as high as while towing , under certain conditions ...... As for when peeks are made go here ===>http://www.duramaxdiesel.com/01_features/index.htm Look around .........

MAC smile.gif

[ 05-29-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

Evan A. Beck
05-29-2002, 21:49
I have seen 1300

Maverick
05-29-2002, 22:57
Isopro make post and pre-turbo EGT gauges. If you installed a post-turbo gauge with a pre-turbo sensor location, that might explain why you are in the red with a stock truck.

needbigtruck
05-30-2002, 19:39
I installed the temperature probe pre-turbo. Forgot to mention that. The red markings start at 1350 degrees. The instructions that came with the gage said installation pre-turbo was recommended. If installed post turbo add 2-300 degrees to the reading. So I assume that the colors are for a pre-turbo installation. I have no juice box or any other after market power increasers. My truck is a 2001 bought 4/01.

Maverick
05-30-2002, 20:05
Sounds like you have a hot running truck. You could try a better flowing filter and/or intake along with a bigger exhaust to try to cool things down a bit. Thats what I in the process of doing myself.