PDA

View Full Version : DelVac 1

Albee
05-29-2002, 22:05
Quick question...What is a good price to pay for DelVac 1 synthetic 5W-40 oil? And where have you all found to be the best place to purchase? The local Flying J hast it for 27.00 a gallon...Whew....sounds pricy to me. Thanks for all your input!!!

hiredmanDan
05-29-2002, 22:25
I ordered from http://www.avlube.com/
click on automotive
$81.39/case of 4 gals
good customer service

cmadmaxman
05-30-2002, 01:17
I payed $21.95 per gal. at my local diesel repair shop, plus tax.

DmaxCC6spd
05-30-2002, 06:29
avlube.com Very friendly, and they are happy to take time to discuss your lubrication issues.

NickLeinonen
05-30-2002, 07:19
wally world up here in canada has the delvac 1 for $37.99 CDN for a four liter jug [

ChevysRus
05-30-2002, 10:50
Jez, I got mine at Wally World for $18.65 a gallon. That's Walmart for you unenlightened folks. They also have the Delvac 1300S 15Wx40 for $6.18 a gallon. I bought both. Put the 1300 in the Dmax and put the real good stuff in my '39 Chevy. Gotta have your priorities! LOL

Actually the '39 only gets about 5K per year on it and I change it evey spring regardless. Car may sit for seveal weeks without starting and I was hearing a little bit of a slap knock on startup for a few seconds until pressure builds. Was using Quaker State 10Wx30 and now on the Mobil 1 no more knock on startup after sitting.
To me that was worth the extra $12 bucks to switch to the Mobil 1.

So go to Wally World and get either one for the best price around so far.

have a great day

gdblake
05-30-2002, 11:35
Delvac-1 at my local Mobil distributor is $18.00 plus 8.25% sales tax/gal.

dmaxstu
05-30-2002, 13:06
My local walmart only carries RotellaT 5W-40 Synthetic which I have been using. Please indicate why Mobil Delvac1 is any better.I visited the Rotella site and their oil sounded pretty good. Of course that was a biased overview. Stu

ChevysRus
05-30-2002, 14:27
Well DmaxStu, you asked the proverbial question!

There has been a lot, (TON) of info on best oil to use in the DMAX. From all the info posted I am accepting the fact that Delvac 1300S 15W -40 is probably the best dino oil to use and the Delvac Mobil 1 Synthetic is probably the best Synthetic oil to use. Now there are many choices and everyone has their favorite. I myself used Quaker State for the last 30 years with great results in my gassers, but after looking at all the detail and info this site has to offer, I have switched to the Delvac 1300S in my DMAX and I will use the Delvac Mobil 1 in all my gassers from now on.

I am convinced and that doesn't mean you have to be. The key to good maintenance is lots of maintenance whatever the oil and filters used. I just feel that better products with frequent maintenamce is the best of both worlds. Not for everyone, but works for me.

Have a great day.

george morrison
05-30-2002, 15:34
Regarding the Shell Rotella Synthetic. It is a group III base stock oil and thus not the same as Delvac 1 which is Group IV/V. Another point is that Delvac 1 has been around for over 25 years and has evolved through the years to the pinnacle of synthetic diesel oil that it is today. The Shell does not have the track record and there have been some problems with some of the Group III "synthetic" formulations operationally in terms of additive "fallout" etc.
As an aside which gripes me no end is that one of the companies that currently is marketing a group III "synthetic" diesel oil for $18 a gallon was two years ago selling the exact same oil for $4.35 a gallon; that was before the Castrol synthetic decision came through allowing the Group III's to be called synthetic..
The cost of the Shell "Synthetic" is so very close to Delvac 1, why not get the 'best', the real stuff...
I am biased, of course, but my bias is from dealing with over the road truck fleets that use Delvac 1 and 100,000 mile and 125,000 mile oil change intervals. One company fleet of Kenworth's has 70% of its fleet with over 1,000,000 miles, all Delvac 1, all with 100,000 mile oil changes. Cummins engines with no main bearing change-outs, no turbo-charger failures, etc. This is my bias......
George Morrison, STLE CLS

cmadmaxman
05-30-2002, 17:44
Hey George,

With the Delvac 1 in the Dmax, what would you say would be the best filter change, oil analysis, and total oil change out intervals half towing, half not.

Have you seen oil analysis from a Dmax using Delvac 1? If you have how are they looking?

Thanks for your help.

Maxter
05-30-2002, 18:29
I paid 120.46$/Can for a 5 gallon pail wich is about 15.10$/US a gallon at my local Esso (Imperial Oil owned by Exxon wich owns Mobil).

I should be good for 2 oil changes but may miss a quart along the way.

I use the AC Delco filter with that.

pepperidge
05-31-2002, 12:29
watch your step on this one, best pricing topics seem to be getting closed ;) :D

All my Wally World carries is the SYN Rotella
Lucky you!

george morrison
05-31-2002, 15:21
At this point the only Duramax oil analysis results I have seen are for my own Duramax. It is looking excellent. I did 3 short changes using Mobil Delvac 1300S, now on Delvac 1. At some point I will run a complete oil analysis including Ferrography to show the comparison of the Duramax vs. my 6.5TD Ferrography. Of course my 6.5TD has always had very high levels of soot whereas my Duramax soot levels are super so that will be one major difference.
As for ODI's with Duramax, much is dependent on driving conditions, etc. I would suggest doing a baseline oil analysis to make sure induction system is tight and no dirt is making its way into the engine, then switch to Delvac 1 and do a double miles on oil and filter and oil analysis. Then one could either extend or stay the same predicated on the oil analysis results, this way you know exactly what is taking place for your applications.
George Morrison, STLE CLS