PDA

View Full Version : Hypertech Power Programmer

abrose
06-19-2003, 18:10
I've just made the move from an 85 C10 2WD SWB with an increidible 6.2 up to a new 2500HD Chevy with the Duramax 6.6. I've been reading the posts trying to get your collective consensus on a power upgrade and I was wondering if any of you more experienced guys have any comments on the Power Programmer from Hypertech? It claims to be able to reprogram the Duramax with +56hp/+94ftlbs, +77hp/+130ftlbs and +96hp/+163ftlbs and then return it to stock program if desired. Their website is; www.hypertech.com. (http://www.hypertech.com.) I'd appreciate any info or advise you well sasoed experts can give regarding the best choice and or comments on the Hypertech unit. Thanks!

afp
06-19-2003, 20:03
A quick comparision between the Hypertech and the Juice http://www.edgeproductsinc.com/ show the Juice on std level 4 makes the same HP at about 600 less rpm. It does this by generating about 90 ft lbs of torque more than the Hypertech does on it's max level. Also, the Juice makes it's greater torque at about 400 less RPM. Given RPM is a big "killer" of engines, I like the Juice's power curves better. Of course, Hot Juice on Level 4 has even more power............

Blaine

getupingo
06-19-2003, 21:16
I have the hypertech and it is a great product in my opinion. It has very good power that comes on earlier than stock. It also has the capabilities to recalibrate the speedometer for practically any size tires you might have. I recently ran my truck in the 1/4 mile and I very happy with the times I ran. 15.30 at 85.76 mph was my best run. Overall I am very happy with the hypertech. It gives great performance for a great low price. Mine was $349 plus tax.

The hypertech is the best bang for the buck in my opinion and gives good performance too, but if you want the best I would suggest going for the juice or the TST, and possibly the Predator.

Just my 2 cents

nos

DMAX_Phil
06-19-2003, 21:52
I just recently went through the same decision. I was looking at the Hypertech vs. the Predator. The tire recalibration is why I narrowed it down to these two. I went with the Predator. The Predator simply offered more options for a bit more money (but a lot less then the other major boxes). Five programs and the diagnostic tool (code reset and such) are what swung me. I've towed on two long trips with the Predator and it is great. Seems to hold o/d forever compared to stock and it climbs the hills much better. The EGTs do get up there quickly, though.

Phil B.

Burner
06-19-2003, 22:18
What are you looking for? Do you pull with this truck, if so, how much? Do you have any gauges? What is the primary job of the truck?

Hypertech is the cheap-est programmer out to date. :rolleyes: Of course Waffle House steaks are cheaper than Ruth Chris steaks.

Burner---------> :D

DA_MAXX
06-19-2003, 22:48
Can the stealer detect the use of either device ? Does the predator allow you to reprogram to "factory" settings. I don't want to jeapordize the warranty. Truck has less than 5k miles. But the feedback on the different devices are amazing! Chomping at the bit, to get more power....

mackin
06-20-2003, 04:58
Originally posted by DA_MAXX:
Can the stealer detect the use of either device ? Does the predator allow you to reprogram to "factory" settings. I don't want to jeapordize the warranty. Truck has less than 5k miles. But the feedback on the different devices are amazing! Chomping at the bit, to get more power.... The Predator carries the stock tune to be loaded back in when neccesary .... The Juice just unplug .....

The Juice is handsdown winner in Plug and Play for the "Allison" ..... Next up ya have to give the Predator the nod for the buck ..... The Hypertech is just miles behind .....

There are other programmers but are not capable of delivering back to stock calibration ....

Not clear on who has handshakers that's asking ..... The TST hasn't proven with the Allison to be able to topple the Juice .....This may change by this Sunday all though ....With a Row'er it gets it done,Juice levels and beyond .....

Mac
:D :D :D

[ 06-20-2003, 05:05 AM: Message edited by: mackin ]

abrose
06-20-2003, 05:46
getupingo,
I see you're happy with you times, doyou have any from before you used the hypertech unit?

Re what I'm looking for, more power. I just got the truck new this past Saturday and in viewing these forums it seems that many have optd for an upgrade and I want one too. I to a competition ski boat on tandem axle trailer in North GA Hills, approxmately 4500# total which is one concern, but mostly I want more power for the stop lights.

JEBar
06-20-2003, 06:44
Over the last few years I've used Hypertech units on several vehicles with gasoline engines and have been well pleased. In every case they delivered as advertised. With my D'max I use a Juice unit (which I plan to have up-graded to a Super Juice program next month) and have been well pleased in every respect. Power, economy, speed all delivered by the Juice .... Jim

Silver Bullet
06-20-2003, 07:36
I think the Hypertech will only store your stock OR you programed setting...if you have your programmed setting loaded in the truck and take it in (without restoring it to stock) and they wipe it out you will have to send in the Hypertech to get it reset. I think with the Pred it stores both. Juice is plug-n-burn rubber!!! :D

If you want HP/torque (and don't care about features) and price is not a problem then HOT Juice is it. If you are willing to give up a little HP and want other features then the Pred is it. If $$$$ are the limiting factor then Hypertech is it...IMHO.

I am currently trying to decide btwn HOT Juice and the Pred...I have not been able to decide if I care enough about the extra features...

afp
06-20-2003, 16:02
As a comparision, my truck w/Juice level four (not hot) went 0-60 in 5.9 sec and made the 1/4 mile in 14.49, according to a G-tech.

Blaine

getupingo
06-20-2003, 17:20
Afp - you're comparing apples to oranges if you ask me...I ran mine on the track and you ran yours on the street using a g-tech. No doubt the juice is faster, but try running at the track if you want truly accurate data.

abrose - my best run stock was 16.84 at 80.03 mph. If you are looking for the best bang for the buck, I suggest the hypertech.

nos :cool:

LMorse
06-20-2003, 17:55
I have the predator and juice... Both are great, though I believe I'd go with the predator first so you'll have the diagnostic tools and the ability to reset the computer... Trust me, you want to be able to do this.. I'm not familiar with the hypertech, yet if it doesn't have these features spend the extra cash and go with the predator.. I just sent mine back to have it upgraded to the 100 hp setting and they were very helpfull.. They didn't charge either... That's a plus..

Kennedy
06-20-2003, 18:06
Shouldn't need the diagnostics with a properly set up truck. It's when you stray into no man's land that you set codes. Trans codes are not resettable with the Predator.

Either Juice or Predator are good programs, and each has their strengths and weaknesses. The Hypertech on paper looks like some pretty lame programming. I must admit I have not tried one yet as nobody I know carries them.

afp
06-20-2003, 18:33
Getgo,

The only true apples-to-apples is both trucks at the same track on the same day running in the same conditions--which I would gladly do so you could watch my truck pull away from yours the entire 1/4 mile. tongue.gif ;)

However, the guys who run non-hot juice at the tracks have posted 14.7s, and hot juice is worth a couple tenths more. Bottom line, the Juice puts out significantly more power than the Hypertech. However, it is double the price and has no provision for speedo recalibration.

I have nothing against the Hypertech or any other performance enchancement device (they are all good), but it is important to know what you're getting, and having other's post their times along with the method of obtaining those times is very useful data. To be honest, temp and humidity should acompany all runs, even runs at the track. We all know that a run at Ennis in October will most likely post significantly quicker times than a run in Amarillo in August.

My run with the G-tech was on level ground with two people on board and 1/4 tank of fuel in mid 70s to 80s temp on a low humiditiy day. I personally think the G-tech is a couple tenths rosy for it's 1/4 mile times, and a couple MPH rosy for it's trap times. However, that is just a gut feel, what I have is the times and conditions I posted.

Blaine

[ 06-21-2003, 11:49 AM: Message edited by: afp ]

Burner
06-21-2003, 01:09
abrose,

Been around the water a long time. I was a member of HODC Ski Club from 1980 to 2000. Fred tought Sammy and his sister how to ski, really. Ron S., Kristy O'. and Tory B have come by several times. Walt Malone provided our boats. ;) I could never get "6" & the gates at 32 or full length, always 15, 22, and 28 off.----

I think that you'll be happy with the predator. Pulling the boat in a "safty zone" would require the 40HP tune. Long "economy" drives would be best on the 60HP do to the higher MPG and smoothe cruise controle. The 85HP would be fine for kicking around town. The 100 hp will run quite high EGT's when in the upper RPM's, don't even think about pulling in this mode... just for race'n. However, if you want "lot'sa" power & torque for pulling, get the JUICE from Kennedy Diesel (http://www.kennedydiesel.com) . You "will" need guages if you run the juice.

BTW.... What Skiboat weighs 4,500lbs? Do you have a loaded "Fat Sack" in it? And, if you haven't tried it, get a four blade OJ prop. You will not believe the difference!

Burner-------> :D

abrose
06-21-2003, 17:36
Burner,
Thanks for the recomendations for the different HP's with the Predator. I haven't made up my mind on which unit I will use yet, but I'm leaning more towards the Predaotor as I hear more from you guys.

The ski boat itself isn't 4500#,. It's an Aztec, Sunstar (made by Viper) with a 330HP Scorpion 350 Chevy V8 and it's dry weight is 2800 (http://viperboatsinc.com/aztec/sunstar.htm). It came with the 4 blade OJ and it does move out, both pulling up skiers and top end at 50mph. It's got a 50 gallon fuel tank which adds another 300 pounds give or take. The trailer is an EZ Loader drive on tandem axle with full hydraulic brakes which I guess weighs about 1200#. I counted about 200# for all the wake boards, anchors, ski's, knee board, ropes, life jackets, two covers, etc. If my math is correct that should be egaul to an estimated 4500#.
Thansks again for the comments!

RWTD
06-22-2003, 18:28
abrose, if you wouldn't mind me giving some food for thought, but something to note is that the Predator, as well as the Juice, tends to make their peak horsepower around 3000+, and their peak torque around 2200. The Hypertech makes it's peaks on torque at 2800 to 3100, and horsepower around 3300 to 3400, so you can see which are the better all around choice when it comes to towing and all around performance. The Predator's and Juice's overall power #'s are significantly higher than the Hypertech's. The Predator is the only one of the 3 that can raise your speed limiter.

I hope this helps. Have a the rest of a great Sunday.

Sincerely...