PDA

View Full Version : Quiet 4"?

MaxedOut
06-22-2003, 17:00
Wondering if anyone makes a good quality (preferably stainless steel) 4" exhaust that is quiet - close to the stock sound. I like the looks of the Banks system but from what I've read on here, it may be a little loud for my liking. A live in Calgary so a trip down to check out John Kennedy's would be a bit far. Anyone have any experience with a 4" quiet exhaust system?

Glen

GMC-2002-Dmax
06-22-2003, 21:51
Banks is nice, fit and finish of the highest quality.

Sound is good, very deep.

Stock, ?? What's that :confused:

GMC ;)

Billy T
06-22-2003, 22:08
Max, I have a Banks Monster exhaust in my shed. Want it? (Just Kidding) I cannot stand the moan at 55 - 65 Mph and WOT. OK, call me a wimp GMC, but I like the quiet ! At my age, I would rather hear my XM than my Dmax! We did install the BD system, which is quieter than the Banks, but fitting was an absolute nightmare. We dom many Banks systems (20 years) and we are spoiled by the fit and finish of their equipment. I just wish I could quiten it down a bit. Back in the day, Banks had a muffler that had a simple chmber in the middle. You could see through it but it was quiet and sounded great. You could hear tyhe turbo screaching at the tailpipe under acceleration. I miss that. There are various truck mufflers out there that we have looked at but they don't flow. With the high HP levels of some of these boxes, we definatley need to get the airflow up. I have got my yes and ears peeled too !

[ 06-29-2003, 09:15 PM: Message edited by: Billy T ]

Billy T
06-22-2003, 22:09
Max, I have a Banks Monster exhaust in my shed. Want it? I cannot stand the moan at 55 - 65 Mph and WOT. OK, call me a wimp GMC, but I like the quiet ! At my age, I would rather hear my XM than my Dmax! We did install the BD system on a customers rig, which is quieter than the Banks, but fitting was an absolute nightmare. We have done many Banks systems (20 years worth) and we are spoiled by the fit and finish of their equipment. I just wish I could quieten it down a bit. Back in the day, Banks had a muffler that had a simple chamber in the middle. You could see through it but it was quiet and sounded great. You could hear the turbo screaching at the tailpipe under acceleration. I miss that. There are various truck mufflers out there that we have looked at but they don't flow. With the high HP levels of some of these boxes, we definatley need to get the airflow up. I have got my eyes open and ears peeled too !

[ 06-23-2003, 07:05 PM: Message edited by: Billy T ]

Billy T
06-22-2003, 22:12
I need a secretary! I kant not seam 2 be able to speel. :confused:

DonG
06-22-2003, 23:29
Billy T,

You do not need to post again to make changes. Just click on the pencil and paper at the top of your post that you want to change. Make your changes and no one will know you ever know.

Don

MaxedOut
06-23-2003, 16:01
Thanks Billy T. GCL markets the BD system here in Calgary @ $1,100.00 Cdn. I thought that was a little pricey, but if it's a good quality high flowing exhaust that is not much louder than stock, I will probably concider it. Anyone else with any after market exhaust experience?

imported_
06-23-2003, 23:12
yo maxed... you want to hear a banks 4"in action give me a call and i can meet you in lethbridge or black diamond/turner valley!
email...rt10magnum1@excite.com

ALLIMAX
06-24-2003, 11:13
On my 2001 extended cab I started out with a FLowmaster 4 inch exhaust and it was just way to loud. I called JK and ordered one of his mufflers that helped quiet it back down. On my 03 crewcab I went with the Banks Monster exhaust and it is even quieter and barely louder than stock. On vehicles with after market exhaust systems it seems that the crew cab pickups seem much quieter inside than an extended cab pickup.

MaxedOut
06-25-2003, 07:09
MadMax - Thanks for the offer. If the Banks guys here in Calgary can't show me a D-Max with one installed I may take you up on your offer. I'm definatley seeing differing opionions on the Banks system so I think I'll have to hear it for myself. Allimax describes the crewcabs being quieter inside than the extended cabs with the aftermarket exhausts - yours a crewcab by chance?

aero
06-25-2003, 19:46
I HAVE A CREW CAB WITH THE BANKS MONSTER AND CANNOT HEAR MYSELF THINK UNDER WOT. WOULD ADVISE ANOTHER SYSTEM IF NOISE WILL BOTHER YOU

DMAX_Phil
06-29-2003, 02:39
Well, that's good to know because I was headed out to Banks to pick up their system. I'll call them and ask if they have any other muffler options.

Phil B. :(

Kent Tuttle
06-29-2003, 11:32
Phil...I have JK's system on my truck. Your more than welcome to here it in action. Sounds like a big block at idle outside next to the exit and only slightly louder than stock at highway speeds in the cab.

DMAX_Phil
06-29-2003, 12:11
Thanks Kent, if I can get to your neck of the woods, I'll take you up on your offer. Banks is so close to us it just makes things easier from a shipping standpoint. Also, I can pay cash and smuggle it in, if you know what I mean... If enough people complain, I'd bet they would offer a different muffler.

Phil B.

mackin
06-29-2003, 14:17
Just wondering why those concerned with additional noise are even changing from stock ??
If your performance minded, at heart, nothing beats a throaty sound ....

Mac http://forums.thedieselstop.com/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif

DMAX_Phil
06-29-2003, 17:32
Louder doesn't mean more power. Personally, I'm looking for less restriction to help lower the EGTs. Sound is one of those subjective things (I'm on my fifth set of pipes on my Harley...), what is loud for one is not for another. I've had gassers with loud (to my tastes) mufflers and towing sucks since your constantly hearing the drone of the loud exhaust. I'm about deaf from my Harley, I like to chill in my truck.

Phil B. :cool:

DalDMax
07-01-2003, 09:25
mackin,
I'm interested in:
1)Lower EGTs
2)Faster turbo spool-up
3)Not waking up the neighbors when I leave the house at 4-something in the mornings :cool:

mackin
07-01-2003, 13:08
Originally posted by DalDMax:
mackin,
I'm interested in:
1)Lower EGTs
2)Faster turbo spool-up
3)Not waking up the neighbors when I leave the house at 4-something in the mornings :cool: Well the only way to acheive those goals are to open the exhaust up .... Where is the exhaust restricted the most,besides the down pipe?? Wait I know, Muffler .... ;) So how do we fix that ?? Free flow ,less baffles,straight thru design ....Trade off ,more exhaust noise ... :D
So good luck .... I think your stuck between a neighbor and fulfillment ...

Mac :cool:

mdadgar
07-01-2003, 13:43
Mackin, you're almost right. The other way to flow more through the muffler is to make it LARGER. If you do that, you can make it flow more without being louder.

- Mark

DMAX_Phil
07-01-2003, 22:35
When I used to have spare time, I researched exhaust tuning on motorcycles. The theory was to get the sound waves down the pipe as efficiently as possible. Straight pipes often produced less power then with mufflers. The scavenging and aligning of the sound waves was the explanation given. You can take two identically sized baffles and modify the cuts and packing and produce less noise and more power, all at the same time. The thickness and material of the muffler makes a big difference in the sound quality and level.

Surprisingly, Gale Banks is a master at this theory. So, maybe he had picked the muffler with the best balance of back pressure and noise level for the performance of our trucks (?). Or, maybe he just took the lowest bidder for the muffler...

Phil B. ;)

mackin
07-02-2003, 04:07
Diesels are different then gassers ......

Bottom line I "had" a big quiet muffler on my truck .... Ya'all do to .....

To quiet the exhaust thru a muffler you must produce resisitance of flow,creating back pressure ....

So get a BIG thick muffler that will hold enough sound so you can hold it ,and sneak it out when you get around the courner ...... :rolleyes:

Just like a crowd an elevator and Mexican for dinner last night ..... :eek:

If you want gains from the change it will have to be as free flow as possible along with some stock airbox mods .....
Not very difficult .....

You quiet type had best stay away from the Magnum Force intake system ,oh the dog barking ,make it stop..... :rolleyes:

Mac :D :D :D

pinehill
07-02-2003, 11:18
Mackin tells us that,

Diesels are different then gassers ...... and that's certainly true in many ways, but not with respect to the physics of fluid dynamics for exhaust systems.

StrangeEngine and DMAX_Phil have it right. For a free-flowing muffler, the choice is between small, light, inexpensive, and noisy, or large, heavy, expensive and quiet. The average Joe demands the former, so that's what we get.

[ 07-02-2003, 12:46 PM: Message edited by: pinehill ]

mackin
07-02-2003, 16:00
HHHMMMMM

I always thought with a "Turbo Charged" engine less back pressure is better .....

Well slap me "baffled" ..... I'm gonna have to go run tell all my Cummin's buddies to put your mufflers back on,stuff your stacks with steel wool ......

Hoot'ie your losing power there buddy ..... Hell if ya seen Geerrheads truck you'd have a heart attack ..... tongue.gif

For Sale one free flowing Banks muffler ..... I'm on the hunt for big and quiet = More Power ..... ZAARROOOMMMM !!!!!

pinehill
07-02-2003, 16:08
Read CAREFULLY, Mack. No one said that less back pressure isn't better.

mackin
07-02-2003, 18:12
Originally posted by pinehill:
Read CAREFULLY, Mack. No one said that less back pressure isn't better. Just tossing ya a little dig .....

At the risk of not trying to being argumentative, and dominating the thread, but who cares .....
tongue.gif

The whole upgrading of the exhaust systems have been beaten to death ..... One thing that was undenied was the less restriction the better .....Straight thru Muffler, smoother bends, etc., etc., .....Or simply hack off the stocker straight pipe it .... Others have simply replaced with a different brand of can .... You will have to give up some anti noise benefit,which way you choose ....

My truck is stock for all tense and purposes :rolleyes: and I want them hot gasses escaping ASAP .... If I have to compromise a bit of quietness so be it .... I want "maximum" benefit .....

I challenge the fact that bigger is better ..... Bigger means more=>baffles, or channels , turbulence = restriction = Back pressure ....

But I'm no mechanical engineer .... And I know it takes three engineers to change a light bulb .... One to charge theroy,one to challenge and one to climb the dam ladder and unscrew the burnt bulb .... :eek:

So if ya want it quiet I simply suggest leave it alone ..... Chances are you don't need a free flowing exhaust anyway, but to simply make noise .....

Myself ,I have other motives .... ;)