PDA

View Full Version : RPMS????

7mmSTW
05-31-2002, 17:15
What would it take to raise the RPM's on the DMax? I just posted about this on the Edge Forum also.
Just think about a power level on the Juice that also gave the Duramax a boost in RPM's. Just wonder what the track times would be then!! Probably not a big deal for towing but thats what level one and two are for anyway.

Later

Seven

NutNbutGMC
05-31-2002, 19:59
^.... (sigh).. I wish !!!...... Mini-vans can still out speed you.... smile.gif

7mmSTW
05-31-2002, 21:27
Actuall mini-vans can't out speed me, but they can outspeed my dad's Dmax. :D I haven't met a minivan yet that can get me, I'm sure some crazy sucker has pumped enough $$$$ through one to get it there but not around here anyway. With all of the stuff Edge can control I wonder if they can get rid of that little door chime :mad: that no one seems to have found the "perfect" fix for? That would be a mod worth trying for also. :D :D

Later

Seven

PEANUTGRWR
05-31-2002, 21:55
hey seven ive found the answer to the rpm limiter smile.gif and if you are wanting to get rid of the door chime just remove the module located just beneath the steering colum in which the chime is locaed. youll see a speaker where the sound comes out-----just drill a very very shallow hole with a 3/8 drill bit in it and youll never hear it again smile.gif

Mike O.
06-01-2002, 08:12
PEANUTGRWR,

OK, I'll bite. What IS the answer to the RPM/speed limiter?

mackin
06-01-2002, 08:16
Mike O.,

Oh yea ....... You got it right .........We all want to tke our 7k+ trucks up past 110+ ......... It's a MINI-VAN thing .........

MAC :D

NutNbutGMC
06-01-2002, 08:32
^...Mack Daddy, I detect a bit of insecurity here, on your part tongue.gif . I believe that you are scared that I am going to find the "RPM to infinity" solution first and drive from TN to CT just to blow the doors off of that "juiced up joy ride" of yours....LMAO... Give me speed and lots of it. It takes more than 0.25 miles for me to get my jollies, anyway ya' look at it... :D :D I like it fast and for a long time. These quickies do nothing for me.. :D

Searay90
06-03-2002, 14:10
You all (Yall here in TX) may know this, but GM speed limits each and every vehicle it makes to the speed rating of the tires it has on it when it leaves the factory.

This came to light on a BB I used to frequent when I owned my 99 pontiac formula. The car came from the factory with the LS1 (all aluminum V-8.. same as the corvette motor). My particular car had Goodyear GSC tires on it which are "Z" speed rated. So GM set the speed limiter to 159mph which is the top sustained speed for a Z rated tire. Now certain Z-28s (same F-body car as the pontiac formula and trans-ams), did not come with the Goodyear GSC's, but came with Goodyear RSA tires. The RSA's are a high performance "all season" tire that do not have a Z speed rating, but a lower speed rating which GM used to set the speed limiter on those cars to 120MPH. Now here is a situation where you have the same identical car (f-body, LS1 motor, exact drive train, just a different body/interior) that has two different speed limiters. FYI... Z28's that had the optional Goodyear GSC's were set to do the 160mph.

Also, the car is capable of doing in excess of 160mph. When you load up a hypertech programmer (which removes the speed limiter), the car will do near 180mph.

Our trucks are speed limited from the factory to 96mph because of the tires they have on them. GM does not want to be sued because you went faster than you were supposed to with the tires they put on your vehicle. You can thank all of the people who file product liability suits, and the lawyers that support them.

Here is a chart of speed ratings:

Speed ratings are based on laboratory tests where the tire is pressed (to reflect its required load) against a large diameter metal drum and run at ever increasing speeds (in 6.2 mph steps in 10 minute increments) until the tire

xwing
06-03-2002, 14:34
It would be good to raise the shift point rpm.
There are 2 ways to make more hp: more torque, or more rpm.
Horsepower=torque x rpm (essentially).

If we can carry the SAME torque to a HIGHER RPM, we make that much MORE HP---

WITHOUT straining the TRANSMISSION any more, because the tranny cares about TORQUE input not rpms!

My old 85 Suburban 6.5 Diesel with Banks turbo kit would upshift at 3800rpm, and it was SWEET power band/pulled HARD to 3700.
Our DMax 4-VALVE engines should at LEAST be able to rev as high as that old 6.5 diesel which had about 180,000 miles on it!!
I can see being afraid of revving over 4000rpm, but not to 3800 if that old engine could handle it.

Since the 5th gear clutch is already slipping for some with aftermarket boxes, limiting torque to the amount the trans can TAKE, but upping the shift rpm to maybe 3800, we have an INSTANT 18.75% more horsepower JUST by raising shift rpm from 3200 to 3800...with the SAME torque!

Hopefully the aftermarket companies will take the time to science this out, since they seem to have figured things out far enough to make the TORQUE the trans can't quite handle.

Searay90
06-05-2002, 12:31
Does anyone know if Hypertech is working on a programmer for the DMAX? One of the selling points of their products in the past is that they do in fact remove the speed limiter.