PDA

View Full Version : Predator MPG @ 40HP

1BADDMAX
06-23-2003, 07:40
Filled up the truck last night after running a full tank on the 40HP setting. It got 20.5 mpg. This was mostly in town driving and a few longer trips of about 30 miles.

Victory Red
06-23-2003, 12:19
Did you figure it out the 'old fashioned' way or was it the onboard computer? What were your previous numbers? Report back again in 4 or 5 more tanks. I've been curious about the performance chips, but have hesistated due to mpg concerns. Right now at 9k, I've been getting around 19mpg.

1BADDMAX
06-23-2003, 14:37
I calculate by hand. Previously the MPG was usually between 19-20mpg with the same type of conditions. I pulled over 7000 pounds with the 40HP setting about 3 weeks ago and got 16mpg. I also corrected for my tires so I don't have to add 4% to the mileage. It will be interesting to see what the new tires will do since they are 33's.

DinoMax
06-23-2003, 15:08
1baddmax, great #'s smile.gif How long have you been running the Predator? My mileage seemed to improve as the the tranny adjusted itself to the new found HP & Torque.
Victory Red, I think the Predator would serve you well as far as any mpg concerns, if used in the 40 or 60 HP tunes. I have been running the Predator for 3 or 4 months now (v1.04). I am more interested in the HP/Torque gains, so I normally run with the 85HP tune. I am consistently getting 14 mpg with my truck, running empty, around town. I know this does not seem great to some, but considering my truck has a 6" lift and I am running 315/75/16's, I'm pretty happy with it. My mpg would probably be better with the lower tunes, but I can't seem to leave 'em in for 2 or 3 tank fulls to find out smile.gif Too much fun roasting the 315's and seeing the surprised looks at the next red light :D :D DinoMax

NEAB
06-23-2003, 15:48
After logging about 6000 unloaded miles since new, I have not seen more than 16.5 mpg for highway driving. I am considering Juice or Predator for possible gains. Has anyone tried to change the computer axle setting using Predator, e.g. from 3.73 to 3.43, or less, and then using the +40hp. Appreciate any thoughts, as well as ways to improve mpg.

RWTD
06-23-2003, 17:32
Originally posted by NEAB:
Has anyone tried to change the computer axle setting using Predator, e.g. from 3.73 to 3.43, or less, and then using the +40hp. Appreciate any thoughts, as well as ways to improve mpg. NEAB, other than making your speedometer off, this wouldn't affect your fuel mileage in anyway.

I hope this helps!

Kind Regards...

orange2
06-23-2003, 19:11
Just got 19.2 running between 80-90mph with some blasts up to 110 running by a truckload of girls, that is on the 100 hp setting. They liked to see the smoke so I showed them. Hell, I only get 24 in the car running like that.

Paintdude
06-23-2003, 19:37
DiabloSport Predator Part # U7180; Rev 1.04
Applications:

2001- 2003 6.6L GM Duramax Diesel Trucks

Features:

Stock Tune w/Speed Limiter and (4) Performance Tunes 40-65-85-100 HP

40 HP and 100-ft/lb TQ - Tow Tune

Performance Tune made specifically for towing.

DiabloSport recommended weight limitations based on manufacturer suggested limits for the vehicle.

65 HP and 150-ft/lb TQ - Economy Performance Tune

Performance Tune designed for Economy and Performance, fuel economy depends solely on driving style, and will vary from vehicle to vehicle. DiabloSport recommended weight limitations of 8000 Lb.

85 HP and 195-ft/lb TQ Performance Tune

Performance Tune designed specifically for performance street driving.

DiabloSport recommends this tune not be used for towing.

100 HP and 220-ft/lb TQ Performance Tune

Performance Tune designed specifically for performance street driving.

DiabloSport recommends this tune not be used for towing.

DiabloSport strongly recommends the use of larger diameter performance exhaust components, and exhaust temperature gauges with the use of any performance diesel tuning.

Extended Speed Limiters

Speed limiter to approximately 120 MPH, this may vary based on vehicle set-up; weight, tire size, 2wd vs. 4wd, etc.

Speedometer Re-calibration

Re-calibrates speedometer for gear and/or tire size changes.

Diesel Specific Diagnostic Tool

Duramax Predator can read and erase fault codes, monitor live data and contains all the diesel specific Pcodes for the vehicle.

Tune changes take less then 60 seconds

This programmer currently isn't available for vehicles with the Allison transmission..

What does this last line mean?

???? The Running with the devel site is down right now on my end, what is your price on the unit?

Thanks in advance.

jesshd
06-23-2003, 22:12
The Predator is $449 from RWTD and Kennedy. It does work for the Allison. You can get more information on the kennedydiesel.com site and the diablosport.com website if the other is still down.

Jess

Edit: Price corrected

[ 06-24-2003, 05:57 AM: Message edited by: jesshd ]

RWTD
06-24-2003, 00:20
Originally posted by Paintdude:
This programmer currently isn't available for vehicles with the Allison transmission..It's been available for the Allison equipped Duramax's since day 1, and the manuals, actually. I think someone just has some bad info. that they haven't updated.

???? The Running with the devel site is down right now on my end, what is your price on the unit?You can access the page on my site that you need at:

http://www.runninwiththedevil.com/gmcduramax.htm

Hmmm, works for me. Please email me if you're still not able to view it. I've also emailed you just now.

You'll find the pricing to be the same across all dealers. We all have to obide by a strict code.

Originally posted by jesshd:
The Predator is $649That would be $449, not $649. Hehe, I think you hit the wrong key, bud.

Sincerely...

[ 06-24-2003, 12:27 AM: Message edited by: RunninWithTheDevil ]

Paintdude
06-24-2003, 05:52
I am about ready to take the plunge.. Thanks for the info. Resistance is futile you know.. :D

HotShot
06-25-2003, 00:27
My milage went from normal of 18-20mpg to just under 19 to just over 20 on the highway. My city milage however went from around 18-19 to 22 once and 25 :eek: a few days later. The truck has a surge at 120km/h when on cruise so I am trying the 65hp tune now.

Hey James,
Would unplugging the batteries to clear the block learn of the old program(stock or other tunes)give the computer a leg up optimizing the new tune. I use to see this once in a while when I was a mechanic, do a major tune up on a well neglected car and it would sometimes run worse than when I brought it in. Double check all my work, all's in order. Unhook the battery for a few minutes and a quick blast down the freeway and it runs like new.

RWTD
06-25-2003, 01:27
Originally posted by HotShot:
Hey James,
Would unplugging the batteries to clear the block learn of the old program(stock or other tunes)give the computer a leg up optimizing the new tune.Hey Wayne, how goes it friend?

To answer your question, yes, it does. However, after each program, the Predator does "reset" the pcm, so I'm not sure if you would gain any additional benefits to doing such, actually. This works rather well on vehicles that take "chips", though, and is something that I do the moment a customer's vehicle is brought to me to test and tune, especially for dyno testing.

Keep in touch!

Sincerely...

HotShot
06-27-2003, 17:47
Hi James,

It goes well, and it goes fast :D

I suppose a function of flashing the PCM would be to reset the block learn, makes sense.

If you pull a chip then you should probably reset the computer too?

Paintdude,

The real futility is resisting hammering on it :D

1BADDMAX
06-27-2003, 20:41
I haven't filled up again, yet. It looks as if I will get 20-21 MPG again. All in town driving. I may be talked into switching to my new Dunlop Mud Rovers tomorrow (255/85/16). I bet that'll drop mileage!