PDA

View Full Version : Question about GM Updates to come...

AmericanThunder
06-01-2002, 23:10
Hey Guys/Gals,

I was out visiting my buddys GMC dealer today and told him I had just ordered "The Juice" for my DMAX and he told me something interesting....He said I was just wasting my money because GM already has Updates "waiting in the wings" that will put the DMAX at about the same power level as the boxes are currently making. He claimed that GM was just holding out for the new PSD and Cummins before releasing the updates on the new pickups so they can retain the most powerful status. He also claimed that anyone with a current DMAX would be able to get the new updates when they are released. Anyone else heard this? I mean the guy is a good friend and a dealer so I can't imagine he would make up such a thing.

Second note...As of today at 135 hours and just under 6200 miles the "tick" is gone from my truck. Not sure if it was the switch to the Amsoil last week, hot temps or what but its gone smile.gif Now I hope it does not return!

AlaskaDmax
06-02-2002, 00:00
American Thunder,

If that is true then GM will be my HERO! :D :D

DmaxMaverick
06-02-2002, 01:45
If, and I mean IF this true, GM may be forgiven for a mountain of complaints. This would be a first. Bet you could hear the "Yahoo's" and "Yeehaw's" around the globe. I may even include myself. I, for one, would be impressed (again).

csimo
06-02-2002, 17:37
You may have been mistaken. GM probably has updates to future Duramax engines that will better compete with the newere PowerStrok and Cummins engines, but that will not apply to currently sold units.

GM has never, never, released updates that will retroactivly increase performance of engines sold (except one instance when they advertised horsepower that really wasn't there on the Corvette).

mackin
06-02-2002, 18:08
You got all the ONE UP MIN SHIPS there will ever be, all at once in the "JUICE," that might ever come ......Probably for the next 5 years ...... Unless they change some infrastructure of the ALLISON .......

MAC :D :D

Thank goodness for EDGE products...... $800 more or less compared to $38,764.23 <==TM -"NUTTINBUTGMC"

[ 06-02-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

NutNbutGMC
06-02-2002, 18:16
^..LMAO..... :D .. Mac, I got your back, Dawg..... You da' man... tongue.gif

mark45678
06-02-2002, 18:56
I will make this short and to the point! Gm is NOT going to add more power to truck they have sold! It just isnt going to happen. they would bock at any one of us that have juice if we came in for a trans or rear end problem. I am sure in 2003~2004 you will see the dmax up around 325 hp just because of the Jones, but thats the only reason they will up the power!I for one would like to see 3 rear end gear ratios 3.42,373,4.10!!!! this will cover all of the intended uses any one would want! :D 3.42 for nutbutgmc with out a high limit!!! ;)

slapshot44
06-02-2002, 21:15
They have a good diesel mechanic at my dealership. When I had my truck reflashed, I commented that I wasn't impressed with the fuel mileage I was getting. He did some diagnostic checks on the engine to make sure it was operating within "specs" (it was). He said the software was optimized for both good power AND minimal emissions, and commented that he could easily (and safely) increase the power and probably the fuel mileage on my truck with some injection timing adjustments, but GM doesn't allow the mechanics to do it. The aftermarket boxes are probably doing the same thing, and it wouldn't be reaching to think that GM could indeed "revise" the engine operating parameters on future versions.

It would be good marketing strategy (although poor customer relations) for GM to hold back a little bit to allow for an easy comeback when another manufacturer exceeds the "current" Dmax power levels. I'm not defending GM if this is the case, but it wouldn't surprise me in the least. The name of the game in any industry is to give just a little bit more than the other guys, and try to grab market share.

AmericanThunder
06-02-2002, 21:47
I guess I should have clarified what I said....He said anyone with a DMAX could use the updates NOT that GM would advertise it or otherwise say it was ok to do. Basically what he said is the current DMAX is really toned down with software from what it is capable of, as evidenced by the power the little black boxes are capable of and that GM was simply holding back on the "go fast" software to remain top.

I guess I see this no differently than GM gassers magically getting more HP year after year from computer updates and no one complains.

I still left my "juice" on order cause I can't wait for more power tongue.gif

MAXed Out
06-03-2002, 10:56
American Thunder,

I'd like to check out your Juice box when you get it hooked up.

MNBowTie
06-03-2002, 11:52
Csimo,

I would like to respectfully disagree with your statement about post power enhancements. My previous 1998, GMC K3500, 7.4L Auto, CC, LB, had a towing performance enhancement update performed by my dealer $82.00. There was a noticeable performance increase after this update. However, not enough to keep me from trading it in for my Dmax :D :D

AmericanThunder
06-04-2002, 17:28
MAXed Out,

No problem...The way it looks with everyone raving about the juice I will be posting here as soon as I get it. Just catch me on a day when I drive my DMAX instead of riding my scoot...With the nice weather lately I have been riding the bike alot.

AzKevin
06-05-2002, 18:46
As others have stated, GM has no interest in increasing horsepower for previously sold trucks when the chance for warranty work would also increase. There just is no incentive.

On the otherhand, expect the new Dmax's to be bumped up to be competitive with Ford's newly announced 325 hp/550 ft-lb '03 PSD.