PDA

View Full Version : ECM Connector

odoh
06-02-2002, 17:01
Hi, I'm in the final stages of installing the aux alternator and needing some info on how to disassemble the (blue) CI connector to be able to insert the additional terminal in position 32 of the plug. There isn't enuff slack to bring the connector out of the 'pit' to work on it easily. There is a gray plactic unit that covers up easy access to the back of the connector and I don't know how to remove it safely. Looking into the side, I think I can see terminal/position numbers but not really sure w/the plastic thingamado in the way. Anyone having installed the aux alternator have any tips for this phase?

TIA ~ odoh

mdrag
06-02-2002, 19:20
The Helm's manual is what you need...but I understand they are in short supply for the '02s.

Check your email - I sent you a few suggestions that may help out. :D

My info is for the '01s, and I don't believe the ECM terminal position for the dual alts changed from '01 to '02. Others have added the dual alts and have not posted problems with this.

Kennedy
06-02-2002, 22:12
I was in mine several times as my high idle was a bit flaky initially, but I have trouble visualizing this connector.

IIRC, the plastic has barbed "catches" (6 of them) that must be released from the metal cover plate. The terminals are numbered, so look closely. I believe the numbers were on the metal cover, and only the first/last of each row were there??? The blue cover comes off really easily, and the pins just push through the yeller foam isolating stuff.

hoot
06-03-2002, 05:21
I also had some trouble unhooking those grey plastic retainers. Just start on one side and squeeze in the tab. Go around until it finally releases. All the instructions I had never mentioned the buggers.

77TransAm
06-03-2002, 07:38
Kennedy and hoot are correct; the gray plastic covers snap off without too much trouble and the numbers are underneath. The important one is the blue or red-shaded clear plastic cover over the terminals; there are plastic lock tabs at each end that must be pushed in to remove that cover. If you try to push the pins through the connector without removing that cover, you'll strip the locks and you could have trouble down the road with the pins you put in backing out. Other than that, it's a piece of cake!

odoh
06-03-2002, 17:39
Well, finished the aux alt instln. You guys were right, the clear blue term cover was the key to getting the additional term pin in place easily/properly. Very tuff otherwise. Thanks to all (kennedy, Mdrag, 77TansAm, hoot & all the others)having shared advice, experience & wisdom on the subj. Altho its great ~ I don't think I'll visit the pit nor diddle w/the ECM again tho. ~ odoh

mdrag
06-03-2002, 18:41
odoh,

You're killing me here...is everything working correctly so far?

If so, don't be surprised if the gov contacts you to provide AUX power during one of those famous CA rolling blackouts... ;) :D

mdrag
06-03-2002, 18:44
odoh,

BTW, did I happen to mention the enhanced belt squeal that will almost certainly accompany the dual alt install? Sorry if I forgot to mention that small detail... ;)

At least you know your serp belt is in place every time you shut down...

odoh
06-03-2002, 23:59
mdrag ~ took it for a drive to see if anything got screwed up w/all the messing around in the pit. Near as I could tell things were ok. Had to reset the radio clock.

I first fired up w/o connections to the added alternator to see if I had made a mistake. Voltmeter (IP) indicated 11 volts for several seconds (diagnostic mode?) then it crepted up to 15V. After a bit it moved down to 14.7. Figured it was safe at the point and put the added alternator online. Voltage holding at 14.6 right now.

I knew of the chirps but it hasn't appeared ~ yet. I used a different belt than most of the posters. The tension is right on the tensioner markings. Can't really understand why CA Emission vehicles require a different serpentine.

Still learning the truck ~ have 1043miles on it at the moment but suspicion the odometer to be off. If it is, that'll mean my fuel mileage is even better than the 20mpg. Will have to chk that out. ~ odoh