PDA

View Full Version : cold weather startability

alliemaxwannabe
06-02-2002, 19:34
Hello all! As the username implies, I am not an owner/operater of the famed Duramax yet, but am still in the "saving up " stage. I have been reading this forum for about a month, but have not seen the answer to my biggest question concerning the coldest startability of the 'max....All you owners in Canada and Alaska may be able to help out. I am in West Virginia where winters are mostly in the 0 degree range, however an occaisonal cold snap may go to -30. My truck would be setting outside with no plug-ins availabe (carpool park&ride's). How cold will the 'max start without any electrical assistance? Does GM give any spec's on this? Also, does the 'max have glow plugs or some other means of cold start assist? Thanks smile.gif

mackin
06-02-2002, 19:53
alliemaxwannabe,
Welcome .......

Glow plugs ....... Yes, .......

If you run the lowest viscosity allowed, recommended oil filters , for the high oil pressure in these motors ..... I wouldn't worry about it ... Synthetic will help more ....... All though you are, well, Doing it a disservice that's why we can plug them in.It is not that cold every day . Is it ? OUCh .... I would recommend some idling before I pulled away, forsure ...... Check out this site on the Allison =>http://www.gmtcny.com/allison_lct_1000.htm

How about a generator on a mechanical timer ... What an option ...... That would be ...... There is a few ALASKA members here that can help with cold weather issues they will chime in ...

MAC smile.gif

[ 06-02-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

IndigoDually
06-02-2002, 19:57
I don't think that the temps that you are referring to are a problem. Glow plugs and intake air heater will get it started ASAP.

You could get one of those diesel fired heaters that warms the coolant (Espar I think?), but it is not needed where you are.

John

alliemaxwannabe
06-02-2002, 21:09
Mackin, no its not that cold all the time, only cold snaps at night...haven't seen those temps since '93 but ya never know.... IndigoDually, Beutiful truck, very nice!!.....So the 'max has a hot air heater also? smile.gif

AKDmax
06-02-2002, 21:22
I wouldn't worry about it until the truck sits for a day or so at -30. What we in Alaska call "cold soaked". Even gas powered vehicles grumble when you try to start them at -30. A cold evening with a warm day isn't going to be a problem. Get a good synthetic oil in there and you should be fine. I plug in at +20 and colder,just so I have a little heat before I get to work; It's only 5 miles. A buddy at work drives a F*** and doesn't plug in until about -40. Doesn't have much trouble getting started but I'm sure it's not good for it. Good luck

SoMnDMAX
06-03-2002, 00:03
AllimaxWB,

You'll be fine. We Minnesotans have cold winters too, and my Dmax has always started for me. Let the glow plugs and the intake heater do their thing, and fire it up!!!

Maxter
06-03-2002, 08:01
Where I live in Qu

deerhunter7
06-03-2002, 13:15
I installed the Espar Heater . For startability
and saves a lot of wear from starting a cold engine .

AlaskaDmax
06-03-2002, 14:37
Ditto on what AKDmax Said...

We have probs with our gassers at work when they sit for longer than a day without running at those cold temps...did not have one prob with the DMAX this last winter.

Searay90
06-03-2002, 20:39
I know the Dmax has glow plugs, but I never heard about a heater in the intake tract. Block heater yes, but nothing about an intake heater.

Where might I find this item on my truck? The only wiring on the intake system that I can find is for the MAF sensor/IAT sensor which is located in the intake tube near where it connects to the Air filter box.

Seems to me than an intake heater would need some serious amperage going to it and I have never seen any wire that large going to the intake.

Thanks,

Maverick
06-03-2002, 21:34
No problems starting both of mine either. With 15w-40 I would have the check oil pressure message come up because the oil was so thick. It wouldn't build pressure for about 5 seconds. I switched to Amsoil 3000 5w-30 Diesel Synthetic. Comes up (pressure) alot faster now and runs a little smoother when its that cold. ;)

Brandenburg
06-05-2002, 18:51
If you look under the plastic cover on top of the engine, you'll see that near the waste gate, there is an aluminum manifold with the blue hose coming from the intercooler attached to it and tapped into the top of that manifold is the intake heater.