PDA

View Full Version : Dynomax Exhuast

gregmican
06-02-2002, 21:57
Dynomax makes a exhuast system for the Duramax that sells for a really reasonable price. I can order it at A-1 Performance in Houston Tx. for $353. The system is 4" diameter and starts from the downpipe. They also have a bigger diameter downpipe availiable, but I did not get the price on that yet. My question is, has anyone installed this system on their truck? If so, how do they like it, how does it sound, and what is the quality of the system? $353 sounds a little cheap if you ask me. Here is the website address for the Dynomax system if anyone else is interested. It is listed under the Ultra Flow welded kits. http://a-1performance.com/

hoot
06-03-2002, 08:10
That's a great price!

[ 06-03-2002: Message edited by: hoot ]</p>

gregmican
06-03-2002, 16:24
I called ** performance today and asked about the downpipe. He told me it was 4" dia. and was made of stainless. He wants $153 for the downpipe.

mackin
06-03-2002, 16:40
gregmican,
Is that off the back of the turbo? Or at the flange .......back?

MAC smile.gif

gregmican
06-03-2002, 20:51
Mackin, The $153 piece is the downpipe from the back of the turbo to the flange. The $353 system is from the flange at the bottom of the downpipe all the way out to the Dynomax muffler, then on out behind the rear wheel. I also think it has a 5" chrome tip behind the rear wheel. The exhuast system is aluminized steel, and the $153 downpipe is stainless. This is my understanding of what I was told by the dealer over the phone. He has these systems on order, and he is supposed to call me when he gets some in stock. He will also ship them to customers so you don't have to live close to Houston to be able to get one of these systems. I'll keep all of you informed. I was hoping someone reading these posts may have one of these systems already. :confused:

gregmican
06-04-2002, 04:59
DynoMax

DMAXDiva
06-04-2002, 08:26
gregmican:

After reading your Dynomax press release, I'm concerned that it's only avaiable as a cat-back system. Do you know if a non-cat version is available? The $353 price might be explained by the fact that it is cat-back only :confused:

I saw a pic of the system in 4wheel & Offroad magazine, and I wasn't too thrilled with the tip offered...it's a rectangular slash-cut turndown.
Yeah, I suppose I could get a new tip, but I'd rather get the whole package the way I want it...but then again, if a flange-back system is indeed available for that price, hmmmm ;)

mackin
06-04-2002, 15:41
gregmican,

If you should receive more info on the 4" downpipe off the turbo, or get one please post about it. Even better would be a PIC .....It is so hard to believe that the can squish anything bigger that would make a significant difference in performance. Take a look see back behind the turbo ..... The existing downpipe looks so squashed and tight ....... I guess we will see ...... No matter what exhaust (BANKS) you go with it could be added .........

MAC :D

gregmican
06-04-2002, 16:36
Hey Mackin, go to www.dynomax.com, then click on "new products", and they have a picture of the downpipe there. If I do decide to buy the system, I will keep everyone informed. I'll will take some pictures also.

gregmican
06-04-2002, 16:42
DMAXDiva ,
This is not a cat back system, that press release was written in late 2001 and I think they didn't have their sh**t straight yet. Duramaxes do not come with a cat unless you live in California or something. The dealer told me it is a "Flange back system" and the 4" stainless downpipe is also availiable for a little extra.

DMAXDiva
06-04-2002, 21:00
gregmican:

Actually, there are cat-equipped trucks all over the country. I have a friend out in West Texas that bought a cat-equippid truck off the lot in El Paso, and know of another guy in Amarillo that bought a cat-equipped truck there. Evidently, there is no rhyme or reason as to supply of "federal" trucks, though the majority are destined for California. :rolleyes:

If you do go with the Dynomax system, please post your experiences with it, especially the down pipe. Banks told me that they would not pursue a down pipe from turbo at this time; said the engineers had determined that flow was "sufficient" with the factory downpipe :confused:

Anyway, please let me know how you like the system. Thanks!

[ 06-05-2002: Message edited by: DMAXDiva ]</p>

George Gozelski
06-05-2002, 11:16
I have my doubts about ANYONE who has a 4" downpipe from the turbo on the Dmax. I opened the hood on my 2002 Dmax and I don't see how in the hell it would fit. The space between the engine and the firewall is awful tight! I looked on the Dynomax web site and what they are displaying as the 4" turbo "downpipe" is not the turbo downpipe at all, but is the pipe that connects to the downpipe. Does anyone know for sure? Has anyone out there actually installed a 4" "turbo downpipe"?

ndamico
06-05-2002, 13:51
Yes please, inquiring minds want to know! :cool: :cool: . i'm in the midst of exhaust choices and would like to only change my setup once... does anyone think it would be a bad idea to go from 3.5" to 4" as far as decreasing backpressure?

Jomar
06-06-2002, 20:18
To All Concerned ; I have the Dynomax 4 in. flange back exhaust system on my 02 Dmax. It fits perfectly and was the easiest system to put on I`ve come across.It cost $283 incl. tax & frt at 4 Wheel parts Peformance Center. Summit Racing wanted $350 plus frt. It has a nice throaty sound and is somewhat louder.I like the Dynomax Logo chrome tip that comes with it.

John G.

mackin
06-06-2002, 20:42
Dnomax and Walker one and the same? Is Walker the manufacture of the factory exhaust? Questions, Questions. So many .......

MAC

smile.gif

Jomar
06-06-2002, 20:49
I forgot to mention in my previous posting about performance ang MPG. Seat of the pants says yes a little more snap. I haven`t pulled my 5th wheeler yet and as for mileage, I`m still checking that out.

Jomar
06-06-2002, 20:50
I forgot to mention in my previous posting about performance ang MPG. Seat of the pants says yes a little more snap. I haven`t pulled my 5th wheeler yet and as for mileage, I`m still checking that out.

6.6L&94ImpalaSS
06-07-2002, 04:25
I live in Jackson and have a couple of friends who are engineers at the Jackson facility. They installed the Dynomax system on my truck including the downpipe (4") and there was no problems with fit. I have increased fuel milage by 2 mpg including towing (20 & 15). Part numbers for the kit and downpipe are: Kit - 19375 and the Downpipe - 54194.

dschroeder
06-07-2002, 06:56
Jomar and 6.6L&94ImpalaSS,

Any resonance in the cab at certain speeds with the Dynomax system? I want something that sounds nice, but not annoying when I'm heading down the road in the cab. Do you have a website or phone number for the place you got your system at Jomar? How did you get the actaul downpipe on 6.6L&94ImpalaSS? Looks like that could be a pain to do. Thanks for the information!

CanadaKev
06-07-2002, 10:28
Mac,
Dynomax and Walker are one and the same. Dynomax is just the performance side of the company. But Dynomax does NOT, I REPEAT, NOT make a system for the 3500. Nor do they have any plans to. That doesn't mean that their 2500 CC SB (153"WB) system(#19375) couldn't perhaps be modified to fit a 3500 by sticking in a short piece of 4" straight pipe somewhere. But would the bends be in the right spots? Wanna be a guinea pig? Kev

mdrag
06-07-2002, 10:54
http://www.dynomax.com/newproducts.stm

"Dynomax premium turbocharger down pipe #54194 for the 2001-02 Chev / GMC 2500HD /3500 6.6L Duramax diesel Pick-Up, all models, all wheelbases"

IMHO, from the picture on Dynomax's website, their downpipe will not connect directly to the turbo outlet, and will attach to the flange area - similar to the other systems for our trucks, such as Kennedy's.

Check out the DURAMAX EXHAUST INSTALL SCHEMATIC from Kennedy's website:

http://www.kennedydiesel.com/dmaxexhaust.pdf

Also, if you read through the descriptions on the Dynomax website linked above, it does seem they offer an exhaust for the 3500s. :confused:

CanadaKev
06-07-2002, 12:17
mdrag,
Their website says they do but it's false info. I phoned down and talked to their tech dept. The info on the website is incorrect and it has been brought to the webmaster's attention but they haven't changed it as of yet.
Does JK have a system for our 3500's yet?

mdrag
06-07-2002, 13:31
CanadaKev,

I'm buying a 4" going to 5" exhaust from Kennedy for my '01 3500 crew cab. The 5" muffler/tailpipe is an option - it does not include a polished tip though. I think mine is only one of a few 5" that he's done so far...I believe he has a 4" going to 5" on his truck (the increase to 5" is at/just before the 5" muffler).

I received an email from Kennedy yesterday indicating he had to make the hangers and I'm hoping to have everything next week...If so, I should have it on next weekend with the details and pics.... :D

The first pic at this link shows the 5" muffler outlet (the internal holes face to the rear). That is a 6" rule across the muffler outlet (inlet/outlet are both 5") :eek: :D

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=776033&uid=157168

ZFMax
06-07-2002, 13:36
It appears from their web site that they don't offer a system for a crew cab long bed? Does anyone know for sure?

CanadaKev
06-07-2002, 16:24
mdrag,
Why the muffler?
Why not 5" staight pipe it? smile.gif

ZFMax, No they don't. I'd like to find out if anyone has modified a short box system to fit a 3500.

MAXed Out
06-07-2002, 16:39
MDRAG,

Now thats what I want! N-I-C-E! Good work J.K.!

Jomar
06-07-2002, 22:19
dschrorder;
I got my Dynomax flange back system from 4Wheel Parts Performance Center in Plano, Tx. Ph.#972-578-7825, talk to Eric. There is some resonance at about 1700-1800 RPM but not bad. They also have a store in San Antonio, but they wanted more for frt.

Good Luck

Kennedy
06-10-2002, 19:23
Straight 5"???

Definitely possible, BUT keep in mind:

4" louvered core seems just right for most

4" perforated core is just a tad loud for most

5" louvered core is what I run and it is so-so, just a bit louder than 4" perf.

5" perforated core is pretty nasty...

There's times where I consider going back to 4", but then there's really something about when a girl says "look at the size of that thing" :eek: and she's not talking about that gut of mine that's slowly creeping over my belt... :D