PDA

View Full Version : Information on Engine Ticking

Mic
06-03-2002, 12:47
Some of the above vehicles may exhibit a random ticking noise that is most audible on an engine with a coolant temperature of 70

motovet
06-03-2002, 13:20
I haven't heard the tick since I changed the oil at 6,000 mi. with Amsoil 15-40. Coincidence?...We may never know!

MXKX
06-03-2002, 18:33
my tick seems to be the high pressure fuel regulator.dirty fuel filter no tick fresh filter ticks back. 2001 dmax.

Mic
06-04-2002, 09:23
On edit:

This noise is caused by the relationship of the engine cylinder block, crankshaft journals, bearing inserts and the oil film. This relationship may allow a vibration that resonates through the cylinder block and is heard as a metallic ticking noise. The noise could be described as an irregular ticking or clacking sound, like random typing on a mechanical typewriter.

This condition has been present in diesel engines produced for the last 20 or more years. The overall noise reduction in engines produced today makes this noise seem new when, in fact, it was masked by other noises in the past. Many manufacturers such as Isuzu, Hino, Mitsubishi, and Nissan report a similar condition in their diesel engines. Testing and engine teardowns with this condition reveal no condition that would affect reliability or durability of this engine.

Dealers should not attempt to compare any customer vehicles exhibiting this noise with other similar vehicles as the noise is different from vehicle to vehicle and this may lead to the incorrect conclusion that the vehicle has a condition. This noise is a normal operating characteristic of the engine. This noise has no short or long term effects on the engine. Do not attempt repairs for this noise.

lost part of it..

odoh
06-04-2002, 09:47
The story re The Emperors Invisible Clothes comes to mind. ~ odoh

hoot
06-04-2002, 11:09
That's better.

Bottom line..... stick a fork in it.

Amianthus
06-05-2002, 13:00
Sorry guys, I don't buy it.

The General is telling me that my Cummins has "The Tick"? Ford has it? Caterpillar? Volvo? Mercedes? John Deere? Mack? That we just can't hear it? The Dmax is the only one that you can hear it on because it's so quiet? Gimme a break! We'll see when the common rail Cummins comes out if it also has that problem. Somehow I doubt it will.
Sorry, but this sounds like a cop-out to me. It sounds like the General is trying to justify a design shortcoming to themselves rather than fix it. Perhaps it will never be a problem, perhaps it will manifest itself in some other form. Only time will tell.

hoot
06-05-2002, 13:11
Amianthus,

I agree. There is no doubt in my mind that they know exactly what the tick is coming from.

Notice the other engines that experienced noises are all from the Far East.

[ 06-05-2002: Message edited by: hoot ]</p>

mackin
06-05-2002, 13:23
Well, All though I do not feel it will result in any mechanical failure .... Lets pay attention to the new models, ticky gone or ticky there ........ For us beta testers on the ticky thing, as long as a total disclosure comes with in 4 years 364 days 23 hours and 59 min and 59 seconds OR 99,999 and 9 tenths of a mile ......... It's cool with me ......

MAC ;)

Or at least before the clock stops I'll get it on the record .......

[ 06-05-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

Kennedy
06-05-2002, 13:31
From what I am told, the new common rail Cummins and PSD will not come close to challenging the Dmax in the noise emissions (or lack thereof) category...

Amianthus
06-05-2002, 14:03
"From what I am told, the new common rail Cummins and PSD will not come close to challenging the Dmax in the noise emissions (or lack thereof) category..."

Really? Maybe we should line up a new Cummins with your Dmax and we'll see about that. Of course, you and I are probably tone deaf from our diesels, so I don't think we'd be able to tell the difference. :D

csimo
06-05-2002, 17:00
The new Dodge HD trucks are built not too far from my house and the executives get to drive them home. My neighbor is an executive at the plant.

The '03 Dodge HD with the new Cummins he drove home was quieter than my Duramax. He didn't like it. We were in his garage and I thought for sure it was really a gasoline engine, but it had a diesel badge on it.

I assure you the new Cummins is very quiet, but not having done DB readings, etc. I can't quote numbers.

AKDmax
06-05-2002, 17:08
And you forgot your camera!!!