PDA

View Full Version : Juice, Big Exh and Misc Ramblings

g_abbott
06-03-2002, 15:19
After lurking for quite some time, I've decided I could no longer keep to myself.

I've been very pleased with my preproduction Juice (version unknown - looking forward to updates) although I wish it produced a bit more top end (2700-3500) as it does seem to flatten out up there. I've also been very pleased with my Kennedy exhaust although I'm working on solutions towards making it more quiet. My personal application calls for the benefits of increased flow without additional noise.

The point of my post is simply to state that in my very unscientific experimentations, I have determined that while the dyno shows very limited hp gains with the exhaust upgrades and seat of the pants seems to indicate faster spool up, more power is truly being produced in application. Prior to installing the exhaust, repeated test runs to governed top speed (arghhh) at full throttle on setting 4 (T/H or normal) produced no codes or shutdowns. Subsequent identical testing with the exhaust upgrade yield consistent shut-downs (vehicle acts as if it has been switched to neutral at approx 78mph and throttle stops responding until speed is slowed and shifter is worked to neutral and back) that I assume are the result of additional power produced by the exhaust.

I never thought I'd need more tranny, of course I never thought my truck would be this fast!

[ 06-03-2002: Message edited by: g_abbott ]

[ 06-03-2002: Message edited by: g_abbott ]</p>

mackin
06-03-2002, 15:52
g_abbott,

Welcome .

The version is, or should be on the bottom of the box stamped on the gray tape ......
As far as LIMP? NAH.... At 78 mph with the JUICE with the exhaust you are the first I've heard with a problem.......... Wondering if perhaps there is a problem with your box ....... Really doesn't describe limp more so as a fuel shut off point. Seems perhaps you have reached the rev potential and you are experiencing fuel shut off, same as speed limiter ... Rpms drop and you recover for more acceleration ......

"Nuttinbutgmc" ,,,,,,, Ignore this post you will not be happy yet a quicker shut down AAAAGGHHH !!!!!!!! Can you say I got out ran by 1978 hydro static auto VW beetle, with pigeon tow'd tires ...... tongue.gif

MAC :D

[ 06-03-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

g_abbott
06-03-2002, 16:02
Mac - I knew you'd be the first I hear from. Thanks. My preproduction unit has no markings as it was a very early unit. 78mph indicated is actually approx 85-86mph with the 295's - not that the engine or tranny know. I'll be upgrading in the coming weeks to see what that does for me. I think I'll also try setting 3 in T/H and switch to T/H while in 4th gear during my runs to see what that does.

Kennedy
06-03-2002, 16:20
What you are likely seeing is the 4-5 shift under power is slipping the Allison on application.

I would also like to mention that the exhaust system mentioned has a 5" tailpipe which I have found to be substantially louder than the 4" so comparing it to my production 4"er will not be accurate.

I'm really glad that you found an increase in performance with the exhaust!

2K2AD
06-03-2002, 17:02
JK,

Is the exhaust clip on your website with the 5" pipe? I also want to upgrade my exhaust, but prefer to keep the noise down as well.

Kevin

Kennedy
06-03-2002, 18:24
The clip is from Rick (dmaxer) from Elgin IL and his CC short with the 4" system.