PDA

View Full Version : Help buying DMax

Stizoj
03-09-2003, 23:05
I've been reading the three diesel truck forums over the last couple years and have found a lot of great info (and useless brand wars) which helped me decide on a truck that suits me. Now I am finally in a financial position to buy one. :D

Anyone recommend any good dealers in the Central New Jersey area? I can't stand BS and would rather deal with someone knowledgable right off the bat. I already know a couple places not to go.

I read that many guys here are paying near invoice. GM is giving a $1000 rebate to previous GM owners. How does that factor into my offering price? Do I get the rebate from GM after I make my deal or is that factored into my offer?
Thanks

cmtndmax
03-09-2003, 23:20
Check out Kelley Blue Book (kbb.com)new car pricing. click on build a car. Make like you want it or match what the dealer has on his lot.

Nixter
03-10-2003, 00:50
Check out carsdirect.com You can configure your vehicle, and then they will list a "target price" for it in your area. Buy your new truck anywhere that you choose, and negotiate as much as you want to, just use the figures they give you as a benchmark. I think about the lowest you could expect to pay is invoice less FACTORY incentives. Almost any dealer will make some money on an invoice sale, and don't believe them if they tell you otherwise. When I bought my 03 in December the incentives were up to 3K, and I paid 2.8K under invoice. I didn't deal with the vultures on the lot, I went straight to a internet/fleet sales guy that recieved no commissions. It was easier than getting the correct filter from the parts dept.--Nick

roegs
03-10-2003, 09:29
Make your best deal with the dealer, and then the incentives come off of that. I just ordered an '03 for $100 over invoice. The rebates ($3k this month) come off of my purchase price from the dealer. Be aware that if you order, the incentives apply to when you take delivery. Incentives vary from month to month.

Stizoj
03-10-2003, 23:16
I checked out edmunds, carsdirect, and gmbuypower. Edmunds had a nice set up where I picked my options, got the order codes. It showed MSRP, invoice, and market value. Pretty cool. I actually gave that to the salesman to show him the options I wanted.

I looked at carsdirect when I recently bought my jetta tdi and I think I paid $1000 less than the carsdirect price so I guess I will use that as a starting point and go down from there.

GMBuypower left a lot to be desired. Took way too much effort to get anything to work on there. Printed out the window stickers of three trucks that matched what I wanted and off course the dealer didn't have them anymore.

I want the 3 yr 0% finance deal and the $1k previous GM owner rebate. So I just make my best deal and the rebate comes straight from GM? Nothing to do with the salesman? Don't want to screw it up. I thought about ordering but I don't want to chance having worse rebates next month.

Stizoj
03-10-2003, 23:23
Nixter,
How did you go about dealing with an internet/fleet sales guy? Sounds better than dealing with a salesman.
One more question. Is it true I can't get a snowplow prep package on an ext cab. Read that on a post somewhere.

I appreciate the help guys. I want get into one of these trucks bad. Just don't tell the saleman :D

Seattle Steve
03-11-2003, 00:11
If you have one in the area, try Costco. They have a program that adds a small, preset fee to dealer invoice price. You still get all GM incentives available at the time. No BS, worked great.

Good luck!!

Nixter
03-11-2003, 01:07
Stizoj,
I visited the dealerships, took test drives, decided on options ect.. with the normal salespeople. When I was ready to talk numbers I sent out some detailed emails with option codes for the exact configuration that I wanted. I made it clear that I wasn't going to actively negotiate, I would require a no BS low price up front, and there would be no second chances at a deal for non compliance. The second response that I recieved was from a guy that only does internet and fleet deals. He quoted me for two trucks that were very similiar to what I asked for, and I liked his figures. I agreed to the deal. He was leaving for X-mas vacation that day, so he mailed me the paperwork, which I completed in his absence and mailed back his copies. I did the financing with my credit union. When he returned a few days later there was a check waiting for him at the bank, and the keys to my truck were left with the parts dept cashier for me. We had spent a few minutes on the phone, but I never met the guy in person, and have no idea what he looks like. It was a much better experience than my last vehicle purchase. If I was going to do it again I would do it the same way, except that I might just join the crowd and get pewter paint. It looks good, and hides dust better than my dark green metallic.--Nick

Stizoj
04-23-2003, 21:22
Thanks for the help guys. I wound up buying from a sales manager this past Saturday. The guy gave me a great price over phone on almost the exact truck I wanted. Went down, signed the papers, and drove home a couple hours later. Very easy with no BS.

So far I love the truck. Getting a bed liner installed Saturday then I am hooking up the trailer and putting this thing to work. Can't wait to see how this thing performs compared to the previous gasser.

pinehill
04-23-2003, 23:05
No towing for the first 500 miles is what the owner's manual says.

White Knight
04-24-2003, 05:05
Stizoj, you said "Getting a bed liner installed Saturday then I am hooking up the trailer and putting this thing to work."

If you are using your truck for hauling some "stuff", a bed liner or a spray in liner would be good. They hold up to abuse. If you are using it for hauling camping items or like a large car trunk, you should look at the Bed Rug. I have it and it is great! I can crawl into the bed to retrieve items without hurting my knees. Items don't shift very easily while under way. The Bed Rug is cushioned, so it gives cargo a gentle treatment.

Also, look in the archives for maintenance items before towing (oil, oil filter, rear lube change, and transmission filter change).

Good luck. I am very pleased with how my truck performs as a tow vehicle.

Sam

Stizoj
04-24-2003, 21:08
I have about 425 mi on the odo now. Will be over 500 mi before any real towing happens. I also have a couple "warm up" tows on Saturday. Taking a couple cars off my property to get flattened at the scrap yard. I figure 4500 lb We have no mountains in central jersey, more like bumps here and there so it will be easy towing. Later I have to tow a tractor to PA so tht should be a little work out. About an 8,000 lb load. Couple pretty good hills on the way. Nice 6% grade on the way towards Scranton for about 3 miles. Never towed with a diesel, just the same style truck with a 6.0 liter. The engine is not overly impressive but it gets the job done. Can't wait to see the comparison.

This truck will be used in a general contracting business. I like the spray in liners but I don't think it will hold up. The bed will have to take a lot of abuse from hard impacts. Also I can't see the liner handling a florklift pushing a cube of blocks on the truck. When the plastic liner dies I can just toss it and get a new one.

This site has been invaluable to me. For instance, learned about the change in the wiring harness for the brake controller. That would have been frightening.