PDA

View Full Version : Who's got the power to spin tires?

DIESELMAX403
06-25-2003, 21:22
I just purchased a 2500HD GMC Sierra Crew Cab w/Duramax and Allison. I did not know exactly what to expect for power, but from what I have read, I was expecting a stump puller. Well after the break-in period of 500 miles, I got on it and it did not seem to be very powerful. On dry pavement with limited slip, I can not even break the tires loose.

While my goal is not to spin the tires, I thought the truck should be able to do it. This expectation came after reading in the FAQ by Jim Bagley the following about class leading power: ("Absolutely! Our bone stock 2001 GMC Crew Cab Duramax/Allison will run 0-60's in just 8.6 seconds, and can spin the rear wheels (posi) on dry asphalt with a 10,000 lb trailer in tow (880 lb tongue weight). Numerous loaded hill-climb performance comparisons run here in Montana have proven GM's claim") I do not know my 0-60 times, but I can't even spin the tires with an empty bed and tank. Is there something wrong with my truck???? Is it possible that my turbo is not spooling up?

WhiteDuramax
06-25-2003, 21:33
Your truck is still breaking in and will gain more power once it is fully broke in. My truck wouldnt roast the tires when it was stock either. The reason his did was because he was pullin a decent load with not a lot of tognue weight. Dont worry it only gets better.

Kennedy
06-26-2003, 08:09
Put enough box on and it will REALLY smoke 'em!

Motovet and Bassin were with me when I proceeded to go through at least (lost count) 4 gears, and likely into OD as the trans banged hard on the last shift and pulled the revs down...

HD-Nate
06-26-2003, 08:25
You should be able to power brake and break the tires loose.

When I test drove a D/A, I picked up a extended cab, long box and went for a

DinoMax
06-26-2003, 08:28
Dieselmax403, it's still to early to start worrying, you truck will continue to get better as the 'Max gets some miles on it & the Alli gets used to your driving style. One thing you might want to look into if it does'nt start to improve is the accelerator pedal not actually being able to reach WOT. This has been posted by others with 03's, and if you do a search, you can probably find out what the exact cure was. If I remember correctly, the dealer had to do a reflash, because at WOT, it was actually only about 90% engaged. Good Luck, and enjoy your new truck smile.gif DinoMax

NWDmax
06-26-2003, 09:17
@ 20,000 miles I'm finally seeing the mileage I expected.Cracked the 19 mpg barrier just last week.
Some things really do get better with time!
Imho you have nothing to worry about. :D

DieselDixon
06-26-2003, 09:36
Hey HD-Nate,

Did you lift your truck or do any modifications to it to put the 285's on your truck?

Thanks

Jelisfc
06-26-2003, 10:00
I can chirp the tires going into fourth. Stock but a 6spd. If I hold the throttle just a bit the old Fstones really bark catching third. :D

The Car Craft Summer nationals in St Paul, July 19 & 20, always have a burnout contest. I bet a chipped Dmax could really make some smoke. Anybody in the area looking to create a trans core for BD or Suncoast?

[ 06-26-2003, 11:33 AM: Message edited by: Jelisfc ]

Silver Bullet
06-26-2003, 10:12
Dieselmax,
Here is some tire smokin' for you... Dnld clips (http://www.monkey.net/steve/dnld/)

DmaxDiva allowed me to take her HOT Juice for test drive...

Bassin also laid down some serious rubber on the same road, different day, but we did not get any pics. At the time he was only HOT Juiced.

HD-Nate
06-26-2003, 10:47
Originally posted by DieselDixon:
Hey HD-Nate,

Did you lift your truck or do any modifications to it to put the 285's on your truck?

Thanks No, sure didn't. They lightly rubbed the inner fenderwell on a locked left hand turn in a parking lot one night so I cranked the torsion bars 3 full turns and the have not touched since. It did not change the ride one bit.

The truck looks 1000% percent better with the 285/75 Revos.

DIESELMAX403
06-26-2003, 11:38
To all Contributors,

Thanks for all the advise. It sounds like my truck is OK. I'll check the WOT, give her some time to break in and then maybe some juice.

ratlover
06-26-2003, 11:54
How do you check for WOT on an 03 without taking it to the dealer or using a preadator?

TIA

DIESELMAX403
06-26-2003, 12:09
I will take it to the dealer to check it out.

Colorado Kid
06-26-2003, 13:44
Originally posted by ratlover:
How do you check for WOT on an 03 without taking it to the dealer or using a preadator?

TIA If you can reset the oil change reminder I believe you're getting 100% app. I'm assuming the procedure hasn't changed for the '03s.

DieselDixon
06-26-2003, 15:08
HD-Nate,

The truck looks 1000% percent better with the 285/75 Revos Do you have any pic's, It sounds like we have the same truck D/A 2500HD CC LB 4x4.

Did you keep the stock rims on it?

Thanks

GMC-2002-Dmax
06-26-2003, 18:33
Originally posted by Jelisfc:
I can chirp the tires going into fourth. Stock but a 6spd. If I hold the throttle just a bit the old Fstones really bark catching third. :D

The Car Craft Summer nationals in St Paul, July 19 & 20, always have a burnout contest. I bet a chipped Dmax could really make some smoke. Anybody in the area looking to create a trans core for BD or Suncoast? Well,

I can incinerate both rear tires with just the HOT JUICE, but if I stack the Predator on 40 hp it makes some really cool smoke.

GMC tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif

afp
06-26-2003, 19:56
My truck easily spins the tires on regular Juice level 4. it will even spin them from a a rolling start. However, spinning the tires is something I like to avoid because slows down acceleration. To be honest, raod conditions have a lot to do wtih tire spin. On a hot day when the oil seeps up out of the asphalt, spinning tires is easy.

Blaine

GMCTRUCK
06-26-2003, 20:38
Ever hear a 6 speed bark 5th? I have. DIESELMAX403, don't sweat it. My buddy's 03 won't break the tires loose in stock trim either unless you build some boost against the brake first. Even with the Juice on if won't take off spinning if you just mash the throttle. However, hold the brake a little to build some boost and it will break em loose and spin right through the gears. Of course once you get street tires smoking they get real greasy. A Chevette will spin 4 gears once the tires are hot and greasy.

Southard
06-26-2003, 22:05
Apply brake. Apply about 1/4 throttle. Allow a few seconds for boost to build to at least 5 psi. Release brake while simultaneously applying full throttle. A turbocharged engine must have a load on it to build boost. If your tires don't spin, something is severly wrong. Your tires should spin until the throttle is chopped for the shift to second gear and then they normally will start spinning a little bit again after the shift.

Jelisfc
06-27-2003, 07:09
GMCTRUCK, I was baiting you with forth gear to see if you'd post. I'd love to hear fifth on my truck too but I'm waiting to see how long the stock clutch holds on yours before I decide how far to step into the mods ring. Cause you know if you got it you'll use it.

Kennedy
06-27-2003, 10:09
Originally posted by GMCTRUCK:
Ever hear a 6 speed bark 5th? I have. Any bets how long the dual mass flywheel lasts?

Amianthus
06-27-2003, 12:00
Originally posted by kennedy:
Any bets how long the dual mass flywheel lasts? That's kinda what I was thinkin'.

mackin
06-27-2003, 12:29
Originally posted by Amianthus:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by kennedy:
Any bets how long the dual mass flywheel lasts? That's kinda what I was thinkin'. </font>[/QUOTE]Me too !!!!!!!!! Bwwwwwwaaaaaa tongue.gif

Better go "check" it Jess .... :rolleyes:

I think Kennedy is sweating your dyno numbers and he's trying some power of suggestion ..... ;)

Bark on brother,East Coast style ..... To bad you couldn't take Kennedy round the block one time,bet he'd really be "suggesting"....

Mac :D :D :D

Jelisfc
06-27-2003, 12:47
And how much are the BD and Sun Coast trannys going for??? At least I can do a clutch and flywheel myself. Heck ZF is even got a banner on our very own TDP and offer reman units. Weekend job max. smile.gif smile.gif

You gotta wonder what kind of twist running over 800 ft lbs has on the driveline. I am suprised except for front toe-in problems when in 4wd more parts haven't gone out on more trucks.

GMCTRUCK
06-27-2003, 12:53
:rolleyes: Does this mean the ZF adverstisement at the top of the page is directed at me? That's okay by not getting the auto in the first place I'm already $2400 ahead of the game. Then add on another$4-5k for an upgraded auto. Gee wiz, if only a clutch/flywheel were being developed as we speak and when they were ready I was gonna be allowed to "test" them. Then I could sleep again. ;) Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

[ 06-27-2003, 01:03 PM: Message edited by: GMCTRUCK ]

Jelisfc
06-27-2003, 14:52
Originally posted by GMCTRUCK:
:rolleyes: Does this mean the ZF adverstisement at the top of the page is directed at me? Not at all. I'm with you all the way with my ZF. We're already money ahead ... I'll just live vicariously through you. Now if I only knew what a ZF really was ;)

DieselDixon
06-27-2003, 15:21
Then add on another$4-5k for an upgraded auto. Gee wiz, if only a clutch/flywheel were being developed as we speak and when they were ready I was gonna be allowed to "test" them. My buddy has a Mazda 3rotor sand rail putting out about 650HP and it is mated to a Mendeola Racing transmission, the first trip out he smoked the flywheel, couldn

GMCTRUCK
06-27-2003, 15:34
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr /> Then add on another$4-5k for an upgraded auto. Gee wiz, if only a clutch/flywheel were being developed as we speak and when they were ready I was gonna be allowed to "test" them. My buddy has a Mazda 3rotor sand rail putting out about 650HP and it is mated to a Mendeola Racing transmission, the first trip out he smoked the flywheel, couldn’t even finish the day.

He ended up ordering a custom built flywheel and dual pressure plate from Kennedy Engineering http://www.kennedyeng.com/ and has not had a problem since. You might try calling them and see what they could do for you. His was custom because it was a Mazda motor and a VW transmission, so it’s not an off the shelf part. Just a thought. </font>[/QUOTE]Well, why can't our Kennedy do that. See that John. Aren't you supposed to be some kind of hot sh$t GM diesel guru? Instead of teasing me about my dual mass flywheel you should be coming up with a better replacement flywheel. Shame on you John, teasing doesn't solve anything.

DIESELMAX403
06-27-2003, 15:44
I held the brake, built some boost (about 1/4 throttle) and then smashed the gas. Result was two black strips and a little less rubber on the tire. I guess the power is there.

HD-Nate
06-27-2003, 16:04
HD-Nate,

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr /> The truck looks 1000% percent better with the 285/75 Revos Do you have any pic's, It sounds like we have the same truck D/A 2500HD CC LB 4x4.

Did you keep the stock rims on it?

Thanks </font>[/QUOTE]Well......close. I have short bed tongue.gif

Yep, keeping the stock rims, I like the way they look

No, I cant believe I dont have ANY pictures of it yet :rolleyes:

I have a nice new digital camera sitting here, its just that the three things have not come together:

1) Clean Truck
2) Nice Sunny Day
3) TIME

The 3rd being the killer.

Try I will to post picutures ;) this week

DieselDixon
06-27-2003, 17:27
Well, why can't our Kennedy do that. See that John. Aren't you supposed to be some kind of hot sh$t GM diesel guru? Instead of teasing me about my dual mass flywheel you should be coming up with a better replacement flywheel. Shame on you John, teasing doesn't solve anything.
I just noticed that Kennedy Engineering advertises on "The Diesel Page" so at least you would be supporting an advertiser.

DieselDixon
06-27-2003, 17:32
Try I will to post picutures this week
I look forward to seeing the pictures. I really have to get some new tires, because the stockers just don't work well pulling my 8k lb trailer through the sand. I just don't want to have to splurge for new wheels. The stock wheels actually look pretty good, it's just too bad they are so narrow. I hear that the tire companies won't warranty the tires if they mount them on 6.5" wheels? Anyone else have to deal with this?

Before you chime in and tell me to air down, I do! Just not enough floatation with those skinny tires and not an aggressive enough tread.

mackin
06-27-2003, 20:56
Topic: Who's got the power to spin tires?Me ......

Mac :eek:

Oongawah
06-28-2003, 12:42
Man, I've had to run L2 regular juice just to leave more life for my new 285's. I hit the new set too late. Everytime I get them in the warm months they sure don't last long. Only 3,500 on them and already the rear are worn about a third. And this is without trying to smoke em'. I'll be rotating this weekend. Maybe the tires too(hehe). Sure don't like how the 285's put me between gears at 55mph when pulling the new 5'r. Egt's go through the roof. I have to run on level 1 at best. Oh well, looks cool, Chuck.

Vette Racer
06-29-2003, 23:18
When I got my Juice box hooked up for the first time I thought I'd try it out so I pulled out in the street and stalled it up until the boost came up and turned it loose, boy, was that a mistake. The truck proceeded to try and dig a hole in the pavement, all 4 tires, then it started jumping up and down. Needless to say, we won't try that again. Next, I tried a stomp the pedal and left 4 black marks until I let off for the end of the street. This thing is a real hoot empty, kind of like driving a corvette but a lot easier to get in and out.

PS. Don't jump on JK. He is one decent kind of guy and a plus for this forum. Thanks JK!

motovet
06-29-2003, 23:54
Originally posted by kennedy:
Put enough box on and it will REALLY smoke 'em!

Motovet and Bassin were with me when I proceeded to go through at least (lost count) 4 gears, and likely into OD as the trans banged hard on the last shift and pulled the revs down... Yeah....definately made it through four untill the harsh 5th shift. VERY quickly I will add.