PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Need a place for gauge install

RScott
06-25-2003, 23:32
Hey guys, I need a place in the Orange County, CA area that can install a EGT/Boost gauge for me. I have the steering column gauge mount, just need the gauge and a good installer.I'm headed to South Dakota at the end of the month and will be weighed down pretty good. Any help is appriciated.

OH, anyone have that grey paint number around, or know what thread it was in??

tswartos
06-25-2003, 23:59
Hi Ron,
Where ya headed in SD? I grew up in eastern SD and spent some time in western SD. Another member left for there to spend a month, look at the string on the 21st "staged for the long haul" for info...may want to hook up smile.gif

DMAX Daddy
06-26-2003, 00:02
Pacific Performance is down that way someplace, though I gave up trying to contact them after repeated unanswered emails and a few unreturned phone calls.

Do a search for "Pacific Performance Engineering" on the internet

WillowCreekStable
06-26-2003, 04:14
I got my paint from a body repair supply dealer. He just looked it up in his book, even put it in a spray can. Perfect match.

WillowCreekStable
06-26-2003, 04:16
P.S. I have a'02 with graphite interior. Don't have the paint number with me but can fire it off tonight if you need it.

Idle_Chatter
06-26-2003, 04:58
I have an '01 with the graphite interior. I can't locate my spray can of paint at the moment. A local paint shop mixed it up and put it in a spray can for $16. The interior paint number is on the inside of the triangular door over the fuses at the end of the dash on the drivers side. Just look at the dash end with the driver's door open and you'll find the door, which comes off to carry right into your paint place.

zip
06-26-2003, 08:54
Ron,
SoCalDMax had a post on the paint a while back- maybe a year ago(?)
Zip

RScott
06-26-2003, 19:51
Pacific Performance is on Placentia just south of Chapman off the 57 freeway about 1 min from my office. I'll head over there tomorrow. Thanks.

We're headed to Rapid City for the Sturgis rally. Actually I won't be driving the rig, we have hired a retired couple to drive it out for us, which is why I want the gauges. Unfortunately, its a business trip, but if you want to stop by we'll be set up at Black Hills Harley-Davidson off I-90 starting August 1st. Look for the white Weekend Warrior with "Lazer Star" down the side of it.

tswartos
06-27-2003, 12:47
ah yes the rally...fun fun fun

my grandparents live in rapid city so we had a backup place when we went to sturgis. had a blast specially when then the pro wrestlers came into the bars - Hulkster, big sexy and that crew. Hells angels still have a hunk of land near there and are quite nice folks in town. If u get a chance ride over to devils tower across the border in Wyoming...its a nice trip on the bike and its good when u need get out of town for part of the day.

update - noiticed u're from whittier, home of my favorite president smile.gif

RScott
06-28-2003, 01:39
I'll be lucky to get a ride in to Sturgis one day or up to Mt Rushmore. I'll be working 10-12 hour days...

Went by Pacific today, nice guys, they'll install my gauges for about $140 with me supplying the steering column pod and gauge AND they'll do the color match on the pod. I guess I'm going to go with the Westach Boost/EGT unit. Any other suggestions thats under $280 for the gauge and all the parts?

DMAX Daddy
06-28-2003, 09:41
Good to hear Pacific is still there, since I have gone another route already they lost out on doing gauges and PCM and exhaust on my truck.

I HATE when people do not contact me, especially when I am going to drop $3k+ :mad:

RScott
07-10-2003, 01:12
OK, got my new Westach combo gauge installed by Pacific performance today. They did a good job but were almost 4 hours late with it and I was standing around for 2 of that waiting. I'll post some pics when I get the chance.

Few questions. What's my max boost gonna be with Juice on level 4? Also whats normal and whats the high temp for an empty truck? I was really suprised how real time and the varation in the temps at different RPM's.

This is what I got doing a 10-15 second blast at WOT up a short 6% hill.

Max EGT 1300 - got up to this temp in about 4-5 seconds and held steady till I lifted. Thermocouple is mounted about 1" foward of the manifold flange on the passenger side.

Max boost 22 lbs.

Does this sound about right?

Also on long grades whats my lift temp?

SoCalDMAX
07-10-2003, 01:49
Hi Ron!

I'm Steve, I camped behind you when we had the Gordon's Well cleanup.

Glad to hear PPE got your gauges installed, they are great guys, installs always seem to take longer than anyone predicts.

I'm assuming your WOT blast up the 6% grade was with Juice on level 4. 1300* shouldn't hurt anything for very short periods (a minute or so?) but I'd prefer not to get over 1250* for sustained periods while towing. If you're letting someone else drive it, let's assume a 10,000lb trailer and be conservative on the temps. I'd set the juice on level 2 in both modes and take a test run on that hill with the trailer. If it doesn't go over 1250*, then I'd guess you'd be OK. Better intake and better exhaust might help bring that temp. down, but there's not much time left.

22psi seems good, I've seen as high as 24psi, but towing is going to increase the engine load and make more boost. A quickie way to get more boost (air) to help bring EGTs down a bit is to find the rubber boost hose going to the wastegate. its' under the plastic cover that says 6.6L. Remove the hose and keep it for future replacement. Install a new hose with a needle or ball valve to bleed off some of the boost to the wastegate and get it up around 27 or 28psi.

If your boost gauge is plumbed in there, ensure the valve is downstream of the boost sensor but before the wastegate.

Have a good trip, you'll probably run into a lot of TDP members there!

Regards, Steve

RScott
07-13-2003, 20:14
Thanks Steve. Hey, why didn't we go on a run togher that weekend? I'll never know!

I'm towing the Warrior, unloaded to Corona tommorw, we'll see what happens. Seems (on level 4 at least) the EGT comes up very quickly. I easily got 1300 unloaded in 5th going up and over Fullerton Road (5-6%) today... Anxious to see what it reads tomorrow towing in level 2.

Where would I pick up one of these check valves?