PDA

View Full Version : Duramax - Ford 6.0..... modded

hoot
06-26-2003, 05:38
Had an interesting encounter this morning on the highway with a PSD 6.0. Beautiful orange rig. I came up from behind him and saw what looked to be Banks exhaust tip. Saw a puff of smoke.

I moved up on him. Saw the new PSD emblem. Full set (3) of gauges on the pillar.

We didn't have enough room to do much but on one stretch he definately out accelerated me in fifth. I had the lp on but it wouldn't downshift.

Here's my excuse.... ;)
If I had my stock tires on I think we would have been about even up. He had something going on with the gauges, exhaust and the smoke.

He's probably local cause he got off a local exit. Maybe I'll see him around and get a chance to talk.

4x4man
06-26-2003, 06:21
My buddy has a stock 03 6.0 PSD that he bought a couple of months ago. He is thinking about either getting the quad box or waiting for Edge to get their's out to the market and see how it stacks up against mine with regular Juice. Hope I don't have to upgrade to stay in front of him!! :D

Bob

TST Tech
06-26-2003, 07:34
We've had 1 2003 6.0 Powerstrokes on our dyno. It put down 296 h.p at 3300 rpm, and 497 torque at 2040 rpm. Very impressive for a totally stock truck. It was a 6 spd, but I did get a chance to drive a neighbors new automatic and was very impressed with how well it shifted. It shifted alot like the Allison without the defuel between shifts. Have a great day. Greg

Kennedy
06-26-2003, 07:47
The first boxes out for the 6.0PSD have been pressure type boxes. I haven't messed with them.

The 6.0 PSD Juice from Edge is just being released, and at 100HP max sounds like it will be wicked. Still won't help their teething problems with the motor, but those that run will now RUN...

mackin
06-26-2003, 07:52
Your entirely welcomme to send him my way ...Not only will I pass but I'll racing stripe soot his truck on the way by,seriously !!!!! I had some one swerve the other day ....

Mac tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif

hoot
06-26-2003, 09:23
Originally posted by mackin:
Your entirely welcomme to send him my way ...Not only will I pass but I'll racing stripe soot his truck on the way by,seriously !!!!! I had some one swerve the other day ....

Mac tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif Mac,

It wasn't an all out run so I'm not sure how it would have looked if we had open road.

He didn't have me by much but I had a truck in front coming on quick.

I am positive you would have creamed him.

txtuner
06-26-2003, 12:03
Kennedy,

Our modules do absolutely nothing with pressures. I do not touch ICP nor do I touch fuel pressure. I hate it when you guys mouth off without having a clue, that is half the reason everyone statys confused.

Also Mackin, I have an 03 Dmax and I love it, but I have an 03 6.0L in an Excursion and I would be more than happy to let you try and stripe it! :D

Seriously truck to truck and module to module the 6.0L will have a slight advantage. They both have massive potential though and just so I don't get flamed, my DMAX will smoke my 6.0L. I would love to give you a shot at it as well if you like? :D

Kennedy,
I have talked with you plenty on the phone and don't intend to jump on you, but please don't mis-inform people.

Kennedy
06-26-2003, 12:18
Originally posted by txtuner:
Kennedy,

Our modules do absolutely nothing with pressures. I do not touch ICP nor do I touch fuel pressure. I hate it when you guys mouth off without having a clue, that is half the reason everyone statys confused.

Also Mackin, I have an 03 Dmax and I love it, but I have an 03 6.0L in an Excursion and I would be more than happy to let you try and stripe it! :D

Seriously truck to truck and module to module the 6.0L will have a slight advantage. They both have massive potential though and just so I don't get flamed, my DMAX will smoke my 6.0L. I would love to give you a shot at it as well if you like? :D

Kennedy,
I have talked with you plenty on the phone and don't intend to jump on you, but please don't mis-inform people. My statement was not intended to lump your product in in, just stating the facts. There is nothing false in my statement The first boxes out HAVE been psi type. Nothing said ALL boxes were. Guess I should rephrase MOST early boxes.

Odds are if he had a box, he was running that tin can pressure box pure and simple...

My original post remains in unedited form. Typed word can often be misconstrued...

GMCTRUCK
06-26-2003, 14:28
Some of us were talking with a true blue bleader, Mustang owner (not the 03 Cobra) dynoing his car at the CT dyno gettogether and he happened to be a Ford tech. Just like has been showing up on the web he said "stay away from the 6.0" "they've got big power when they're running but,...." He said all he's been doing is working on them and 6.0 trucks delivered this month even are still having the same issues as trucks delivered 6 months ago.

afp
06-26-2003, 19:32
Txtuner,

Not sure about anyone else, but I would have preferred it if you had just said how your box doesn't use pressure. I believe correcting misconceptions and even attacking ideas are fair game, but not attacking people. Your statement "I hate it when you guys mouth off without having a clue, that is half the reason everyone statys confused" does not create good will. In fact, it is a barb clearly pointed at JK personally. Many of us appreciate JK and how he has gone "above and beyond the call" to help us, and as such are quick to come to his defense. If he mis-spoke, oh well. Let's correct the wrong idea and move on without throwing in the negative personal emotion.

Speaking of moving on and my own potentially wrong idea, I do not think the 6.0 will outpower the Duramax "truck to truck" or "module to module". The Duramax has 36ish more cubic inches, and that will ultimately lead to more power. My assumption is based on the principal that when the technology level is the same, the larger motor makes more power. The Edge dyno charts show the DMax with a slight advantage over the 6.0, Hot Juice at level 4 vs the 6.0 at it's max setting. What is telling is how much the Ford turbo/tuning and Ford tranny program seem to add--it pretty much makes up for the smaller dispacement.

This is suprising to me. I didn't think the variable turbo would be worth more in ultimate power. I see the main advantage of the variable vane is it's ablilty to build boost more quickly, which helps throttle response and low-mid range power, but I don't see how the variability of the vanes would influence power at WOT with the engine at it's max HP RPM. I suspect the power increase is due to more total boost with the turbo, not the variablity of the vanes, but I am not sure.

However, optimize both trucks with the correct turbo, intake, exhaust, module, tranny mods, programming, etc, and the large motor will make more power. Now, if we stay within the factory tranny programming and factory turbo, I think you're right, the Ford may have a slight edge, due to it's more advanced turbo and better tranny programming.

Blaine

[ 06-26-2003, 10:30 PM: Message edited by: afp ]

mackin
06-26-2003, 19:59
Originally posted by txtuner:
Kennedy,

Kennedy,
I have talked with you plenty on the phone and don't intend to jump on you, but please don't mis-inform people. Ignore all that rhetoric and BS some times that's the way it goes round here ....... Be glad you have a running 6'p0s you can brag about tongue.gif

I'll give'r Excursion a soot of a helluva a run ... ;) You can bet on it ..

Mac
tongue.gif

txtuner
06-27-2003, 10:19
Afp,

First of maybe I should have been a little easier, but it was not directed at JK. It was directed at a ton of people! :D My question is how many people have installed "boxes" and put a scope on them to see what they do? I have. I have only found one 6.0L module to ever do anything with pressures. Is this "all the early ones" JK is reffering to? I know of several prototypes that never made it to production that did ICP pressure which is totally different than fuel pressure. So this is why I say that this is mis-information. If you know of a "pressure" box for the 6.0L I would be happy to apologize to you right here.

Guys don't get me wrong, I personally drive the 03 Dmax for my everyday vehicle, and I love it. It makes massive hp and right now I wouldn't trade it for anything. I amnot slamming the DMAX, but you guys need to realize that there is actually a true competitor out there now and we are going to have to work even harder to stay in front of them.

Just because Edge says soemthing doesn't make it gospel. Think about what you said, "Edge dyno charts show the DMax with a slight advantage over the 6.0, Hot Juice at level 4 vs the 6.0 at it's max setting." Edge claims 125hp gain for the DMAX and 90hp for the 6.0L. So even with a 35hp larger module it is only slightly better? How about powerband? Torque band? There are a lot of factors that make a truck run good other than peak hp.

I am going to agree with you to a point on the Turbo and the C.I., but remember peak hp doesn't always make them run faster. I could go into a long post about that with numbers to back it up, but it is pointless.

Again I am not attacking anyone or anything. You guys have been comfortable on top for a while now and its time to go back to work becuase you now have competition. If you don't think there is competition you will get a rude awakening soon enough.

On another note, on a dyno in KY we hit 402rwhp with a 6.0l with nothing more than an airbox and out module. Not even an exhaust system!

king D
06-27-2003, 10:32
also a QUAD box put a 6.0 to a 9.11 8th with just chip no air box,pretty decent i would say

orange2
06-27-2003, 13:39
anyone who thinks the new 6.0 isn't a threat needs to wake up, and by the way, none of them can touch a properly prepared cummins, truck pull after truck pull proves that. Yes I know there is more of them and they have different turbo's, but haven't seen a duramax or powerstroke put in a farm tractor yet, like the cummins. Did you know boats have the cummins rated at 375hp? For all the bragging about the ford in a mag shootout the dodge was quickest to 60 and in a quarter, loaded was all ford. :cool:

tswartos
06-27-2003, 14:11
ya but my ball is bigger than your ball nya ;)

txtuner
06-27-2003, 16:51
That may be true as well, but ummmm I have 2 of them! :D :D :cool:

WillowCreekStable
06-29-2003, 07:13
I like the idea of competion. If the Ford or Dodge out performs the D-Max, it can only result in further development in our trucks to get ahead. I'm sure there is some pre-planned improvement room in the D-Max. When the new and improved version comes out, it will just make it that much easier to get out the check book.....

[ 06-29-2003, 07:32 AM: Message edited by: WillowCreekStable ]

dieselburb
06-29-2003, 10:50
Cummins actually has a 550hp inline 6 boat engine. I helped install a pair in the same boat that had water get past the racors and into the secondaries (another fuel filter thread). Anyway, don't any of you guys still get envious looks from PSD owners everywhere you go? It's nice to be able to smile and know you can keep driving for the rest of the day without worry. The engine technology, as we all know, is outstanding for all of the big 3, so as soon as transmission issues are out of the way it might be based on looks :rolleyes:

mackin
06-29-2003, 13:14
Yes-sir're-bob ....
Aint she something ..... http://www.62-65-dieselpage.com/Dback.jpg

I'd take that as a Mural right on my tailgate .....

Now Hoot'ie why did you not just engage OD lock out to force a down shift ???

Mac http://forums.thedieselstop.com/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif

hoot
06-29-2003, 15:34
I still haven't gotten around to that mod yet. Gotta do it soon.

afp
06-29-2003, 19:39
Txtuner,

Yes, I think by now most posters here know peak HP/torque isn't the important factor, it's the rate and time at which the power comes on--at least i hope they do because we have really beat that to death. With my last drag race car, all the calcs were wrong. In short, I had to launch it above peak torque and wind it 1000 rpm past peak HP to get the quickest times.

One of the reasons I like the edge box is it makes 200 Hp at 2000 RPM with the Dmax. Edge's numbers seem to be very reliable, even a tad conservative. Many guys have dyoned their juiced trucks and posted the results. In the vast majority of cases, numbers have been equal to or slightly better than Edge's advertising. Reagdless of all that, 0-60 and 1/4 miles times for the various boxes and configurations will be the real data. More than that, guys that know how to drive will smoke those who don't..............

I personally have nothing against the 6.0. Ford needed to improve on what they had, and when they get the bugs worked out, they will have a winner, though it will never keep up with a larger motor of equal technology. I will eventually mod my Allison, install a better turbo, and have use the appropriate programming. To be honest, I'd really like to have a Cummins/beefed Allison combo in my truck. Based on what I have seen, the Cummins has proved it can hold an incredible amount of power reliably. We're really not sure about the DMax or 6.0 yet.

Blaine

Billy T
06-29-2003, 19:56
Keep your eyes open....The "New" D-Max will be available soon. It will be in full production by January '04 but some will be available before then and may be ordered as early as August. Among other things it will have a Vairiable Vane Turbo. Ask your dealer for Engine Option "LLY" for the new engine.

:cool: :cool: :cool:

Vette Racer
06-29-2003, 22:59
There is two things I've learned from drag racing. 1. there is always someone that has a bigger motor. 2. they can be beat!

The best thing will be the horsepower race between the big three and we will be the winners. I know the last dodge cummins I had was really weak compared to the D/A but who knows what will happen as the years go on. I just hope by the time I need to trade trucks, the new ones are putting out more power than my "Juiced" one now so I don't have to buy another box to get the same performance. Gotta luve it!