PDA

View Full Version : Irregular oil pressure indication

turbovair
06-18-2005, 11:56
Background:
Oil pressure switch replaced about 8 months ago as a precautionary measure(original was OK). Lately, indication has been a bit jumpy, flipping from 40-50/60 and back every now and then. All other dash indications appear normal. Switch going bad? Or a ground somewhere?

moondoggie
06-18-2005, 14:15
Good Day!

If I was forced to bet my money, it'd be on the oil pressure switch/sensor. Of course, wiring & grounds issues are always possible.

Or maybe your oil pressure is rapidly fluctuating, indicating imminent oil pump failure, which will take out your motor, transfer case, tranny, windshield wiper motor, & all wheel bearings! :eek: Hey, on the right day, that

john8662
06-18-2005, 16:08
Change out the oil pressure switch first. But this had occured to me before my oil pump failed. It would fluctuate when hot, with a steady 2400 RPM going do the highway it would run about 50psi, then jump up to about 75 psi, the back down, etc. Then one day going to work the oil pressure wouln't get any higher than 40 psi. It was at this number even cold, where it used to be 60. It got to where it idled about 20psi (which is still ok by the book) but sure was lower than it ever did. I ended up dropping the pan and installing a new oil pump. The oil pressure bypass valve had failed, although it wasn't obvious by looking at it.

moondoggie
06-20-2005, 08:42
Good Day!

john8662: Thanks for your very valuable post on this subject - that's not something that would have occurred to me.

Blessings!