PDA

View Full Version : Just juiced . . . EGT question

Me4OSU
03-12-2003, 08:06
Just got my "Juice" on and do not want guages in the pickup because when I want to take it off, I want it looking stock.

My question: I've got it set at 4 in normal and 2 in tow/haul. Can I get away with this safely on egt's? Most of the time in normal I'm just lugging around a flatbed (@2000lbs) and in tow/haul maybe 15000lbs + the truck. I drive it myself and don't abuse it . . . just wanted to pep it up a little. Thanks guys

a64pilot
03-12-2003, 09:33
As I understand it around 1300 is max safe limit. I can easily hit 1200 or so pure stock while towing, 3000 rpm and full throttle up a hill.
You can mount the SPA digital in the overhead console if you have one, or several other places where it does not deter from the looks of stock.
IMHO the only way to add any real power is to add fuel, if you add fuel your EGT will increase. Possibly beyond the safe limit, without a pyrometer who knows?

SwampMonster
03-12-2003, 10:06
a64pilot........I work in Savannah and was wondering if I could meet up with you sometime to take a look at the boost/pyrometer guage package that you have. I just put the juice on my truck and I am wanting to get the guages, but I had some questions about the mounting and probe placements.

Lata

a64pilot
03-12-2003, 10:22
Swamp,
I "live" in Richmond Hill and travel to Ft Rucker Al. every week to work. Will be moving to Al. soon I hope. The TST box is in the mail now. I will be selling my SPA gauge when it arrives. Send me an E-mail at a64pilot@hotmail.com
I mounted the thermocouple (ala hoot) and the Gauge in the overhood console like in JK's picture. I put the red reset button in the sunglass compartment as I don't like the way it looks and it is hidden, but easily accessable

Applecore
03-12-2003, 11:29
Just got back from a round trip to Pensicola FL, 4500 miles pulling a 37' 5th wheel. Juice in level 2 while towing. I have a egt gauge. I noticed that when towing overdrive (almost always) in tow/haul mode the temperature stays about 700-850 until I start pushing going up a hill and the rpm get down to 1700 then it will get to 1000- 1100, however as soon as I get out of overdrive and the rpm gets up to 2200-2300, the temp drops immediately to 700-800. I think the big reason is more air being pushed by the turbo at high rpm. I am sure that is you don't lug the engine at rpms lower that say 16 - 1700 you won't have a problem with heat. I can't say anything about pulling in level 3 or 4. I don't need anything more than level 2..
I have run solo in level 3 but notice quite a bit of soot build up around the exhaust. By the way, I have the Banks Exhaust system which also helps the air flow to reduce egt. Hope this helps.

Bulldogger
03-12-2003, 13:01
Applecore, just curious as to how much the 5th wheel weighs,and what was your mpg and at what speed thanks.I'm pulling my 5ver to Tennesse with the kids for april vacation and my setup on the vehicle is similar except for ATS dual exhaust. Dave

Maverick
03-12-2003, 21:20
If your gonna run a box, spend the money and get an EGT gauge. Just curious, those of you that run boxes and claim to only hit 800 degrees pulling, where is your coupler mounted? In the fancy chrome tip at the end of your exhaust system? tongue.gif

[ 03-12-2003: Message edited by: Maverick ]</p>

fredw
03-12-2003, 22:03
maverick: as too you need gauges when you have a power box: i do not beleive in that completly and here is why, i run modified snowmachines and test alot of high performance engine mods on them(single turbo, twin turbo, sigle and twin exhausts, different engines mods and so on, i have boost and exhaust gauges, which i find are only a tool in a tool box, if you do not understand the readings from them, they are not to helpful, if they are not installed in the exact way as other test, here is a example i would run a exhaust pipe with probles and get a temperture of 1500 degress, which is too hot , compare to plugs and it would look good, then install another pipe and run again, this time max. temp was 1200 degress, but the plugs were pure white, another words piston head meltdown, and have had times of meltdown when temps were below that of the so thought safe point, i feel it is a great tool for mod changes, and trouble shotting, but to think it is gospel for not having engine destrution with power boxes is wrong, it is a tool and is better than not having, but still info must be analized,

Me4OSU
03-12-2003, 22:10
Maverick,

Its your old box that I am now running! Finally got it back from Aaron and I think they sent me a brand new one. It surely does wake up my pickup!

I just didn't want guages because I have @16000m. on this thing and lots of warranty left . . . if it comes to going to the dealer I don't want any hassles.

Thanks for all your help Maverick.

Maverick
03-12-2003, 22:24
Glad to hear Aaron set you up good. He's got good service for sure.
I'll edit my post since i'm always wrong anyway.

orange2
03-12-2003, 22:31
Hey Fred, a two stroke can increase temps alot faster than a diesel (generally), Probes don't always react as fast as the temps rise, as you well know. With that said, I don't run gauges either, but I don't tow anything or run hills, if I did alot of towing I would spend the money. Plus a big jump in temps could alert you a problem before it gets out of hand. Which sled out fit do you work for, I am a big sled head, have owned quite a few Polarises, my last one was a vertical escape which I just sold. I don't know what i am going to buy next.

fredw
03-12-2003, 23:05
maverick: do not take it personally, just stating my two cents, orange, my sleds are custom built, engine mods and such or on rotaxes(skidoos)

Nixter
03-13-2003, 00:46
I'm also afraid of adding guages due to warranty issues. Actually I want guages regardless of whether I add a box or not.(Feel free to call BS on guages without box) But working under the assumption that a guy wants to run a box without guages I think it would nice if someone would make some kind of alarm for EGT's that could be well hidden. Perhaps something that would record high values while you were running stock, and then mode changed to activate alarm if those perameters were violated while you were plugging and playing. With these power enhancers coming into maturity, and more features being added I see some potential market share available for them if they would agressively adress stealership decievability.--Nick

a64pilot
03-13-2003, 15:22
Nixter,
There is nothing on the truck stock that can read EGT. To my knowledge the TST box is the only one that shut's down at the EGT value that you set, or any other EGT for that matter. It will require the installation of a pyrometer bulb however.
IMHO adding fuel to the engine without monitoring EGT is like playing russian roulete, you may get away with it or you may not.
JK has weighed in and pretty much staked his reputation and therefore his livelyhood by stating that plug and play boxes are not detectable. That is good enough for me.
Any Stealer that tries to deny warranty coverage for gauges will just as likely deny it for your floor mats. A lot of us monitor EGT on our stock trucks for cool down of the turbo etc. I.E. increased longevity. I can't imagine anyone trying to deny warranty because I go out of my way to care for my truck. It makes as much sense as denying coverage because I change my oil too often.
Just my .02c

ALLAMERICAN1
03-13-2003, 15:37
I must have one of the better dealers in the country from the sounds of some of your dealers. My dealer has a medium duty shop that works on trucks, buses etc... that is separate from the main dealership/automall. A couple of the technicians there drive duramaxes. The Service writer and the technicians have seen my box, gauges, and 4" exhaust and they have told me no problem on any warranty issues. In fact one of the techs just put in his gauges and 4" exhaust and is going for the box next. I have had my truck serviced by the dealer from day one they have been very resonable on LOF $45.00 and about 20 minutes wait. I feel that its a better way to go for me because all service records are at the dealer if any questions on maintenance ever arise. I sure appreciate my dealer after hearing some of your stories.

Allamerican1

Nixter
03-13-2003, 17:25
a64pilot,
I realize that there is nothing on a stock truck to read EGT's and that a pyro bulb would have to be added for any kind of warning device. Good point about JK staking his reputation on the detectability of the boxes. But I do believe that a guage on the dash is a flag that could draw unwelcome attention at the stealership, and also that an effective alternative could be devised that wouldn't draw as much of that attention. As it is my service writer already treats me like he is Saint Peter, and I am OJ Simpson. And this before I had my floor mats installed.
ALLAMERICAN1,
It's nice to hear that you have a good relationship with your dealer. I grew up near you in the town of Lake Isabella, and did business with the old GM dealership on Union Ave there in Bake. They were decent folks back then, but that was a decade ago. The stealerships up here in Alaska seem to think that one service tech per fifteen salespeople is sufficient.--Nick

OKDiesel
03-13-2003, 22:08
Me4OSU,

What part of OK do you live in. I live in Tulsa and am dieing to see what a truck on the juice runs like. If you live around these parts and wouldnt mind showing me your truck, shoot me an email. bcherry@olp.net

thanks

Brian

Maverick
03-13-2003, 22:40
Nixter,
If you go to Tony's in Anchorage, you will have no issues with gauges or exhaust. Greg is a real Duramax mechanic there and Hart is my service writer. They could care less about my add-ons.

Bush Pilot
03-13-2003, 23:42
Mavrick,

Do you use Tony's in the Valley. How are they? I have been going to Alaska Sales and Service. Their not so receptive.

Nixter
03-14-2003, 00:26
Maverick,
Thanks a bunch for that information, that will relieve some anxiety about my potential mods. I never seem to find the right people to talk to when I visit the service departments. I can say that Tony's Anchorage has done good work for me, but some of the "clean clothed" people there have tested my patience. Thanks again Maverick.--Nick

ALLAMERICAN1
03-14-2003, 09:00
Nixter,

They are the same people, same owner, same service manager as they were in 1979 when I bought my last GMC. They have just moved their location out to the south part of town into the "automall". It's too bad that more dealers don't treat there customers the same way. I wouldn't consider buying a truck from anyone else.

Allamerican1

Maverick
03-14-2003, 10:22
Bush Pilot,
What, not flying today? Well the 99mph winds they clocked in Wasilla, took out 6 trees at my house and one landed on the house. I got lots a free firewood for you if you want it.

Never went to Tony's in Wasilla for any warranty or other major work. Their D-max man didn't seem to know alot at the time. I only go there for LOF's and thats it. I like Tony's in Anchorage for everything else. Greg is a good D-max man.

Bush Pilot
03-14-2003, 21:38
Mavrick,

No not flying today and glad of it. The wind was brutal. There was three semi truck rolled over in the ditch between nye and the glen parks cut off. We had no damage at my place but it sure blew.

Thanks for the info on tony. I bought mine from alaska sales and they use to be pretty good about that sort of thing. When I bought this Duramax they were not so receptive.

Nixter
03-14-2003, 22:27
Maverick and Bush Pilot,
The wind tore up my neck of the woods pretty good. Some roof shingles and other debris scratched up my brand spankin new DMAX yesterday which put me in a ****y mood. Then when I arrived at work this morning I found our building with broken windows and doors. So I spent all day today pretending to be a plumber because we had several pipes frozen and broken. I can't wait until spring.--Nick