PDA

View Full Version : Digital Pyro/Boost Gauges

abrose
06-26-2003, 19:19
I would like to get a set of digital pyro and boost gauges for my 03 DA before I really start messin with the performance enhancements. I took the link to BD's site where they show their X Monitor: http://www.bd-power.com/gmc/gmcgauges.php. THeir set includes the trans temp which my truck already has in the dash cluster so I was hoping to find a 2 in 1 rather than their 3 in 1. Has anyone used the BD set and does anyone know of any other brands and any 2 in 1 digital?

Flyboy
06-26-2003, 19:50
SPA DG211 is a dual (EGT & Boost) digital gauge. It's available from Kennedy Diesel.

sonofagun
06-27-2003, 08:12
abrose,

I did a lot of homework before I bought my SPA DG211 (from JK). It is a really good setup. Be sure you ground the boost sending unit to prevent any erratic reading.

Good luck,
Bob

AlanL
06-27-2003, 09:26
I'm sure you guys can enlighten me...

Why do you need a boost gauge? Doesn't the waste gate take care of overboost?

-Al

WillowCreekStable
06-27-2003, 09:32
Its the cool factor.

Can't have too many guages! :D :D

Amianthus
06-27-2003, 11:37
Why does one need a boost gauge? Huh?

Tell me, why does one need a tachometer?

The answer is very simple. It gives the driver and indication of how the engine is behaving under a certain set of operating conditions. This information also gives you a base line for any modifications you may perform and the impact they have. It is also one of the indications that can help troubleshoot problems.

Over-boost has very little if anything to do with needing a boost gauge. It should come from the factory with a pyrometer and boost setup already. Particularly the pyro. Every diesel should have one.

AlanL
06-27-2003, 11:51
I don't disagree that the information is good to have, but unlike a pyro guage (where you can exceed the safe temp and not know it because there's no built in safety mechanism) I guess its not necessary.

Thanks for the info.
-Al

tjc
06-30-2003, 20:16
Anyone else have any problems with the 211?
Mine is 1 1/2 years old (version 2)and I have had to change head and harness some time ago and now the back light has quit working and the boost guage is working erratic. I will be sending it back to Patrick tomorrow for an evaluation.

WOJO 1
06-30-2003, 21:15
abrose.
I have the X-Monitor with the 2 in 1. Part Number is 1086000 from BD. I like it and seems to works as advertised. Comes with a black pod, that I painted to match. Fairly easy install even for me. Kennedy helped with a question I had. He is a great help.