PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using Edelbrock shocks

RScott
06-26-2003, 19:59
With the upcoming trip to SD, its time for shocks. I've been leaning toward the Edelbrock units. Anyone using these?

gardnerteam
06-27-2003, 07:17
I originally purchased Edelbrock IAS for my 93 Peninsular 6.5 CC 4X4 when I built it for Mexico and Guatemala runs. The first set lasted less than 10,000 miles. Edelbrock gave me another set - lasted less than 10,000 miles. Ditto on 3rd set. Gave me another new set which I promptly sold and bought Bilsteins, which are still on that truck after 100,000 miles of use and still going strong. The Edelbrock shocks would get so hot under hard use (and all my Mexico and Guatemala driving is VERY hard on suspension) that you could not touch it. Edelbrock is a first rate manufacturer and their IAS shocks give a great ride and control for a freeway cruiser or soccer mom SUV, but will not take severe use for very long. Even Edelbrock warranty department, when I returned the third set, asked me to take a set for another vehicle instead of the truck and just go away. They agreed the shock would not handle the use. For all around performance, from Porsche to soccer mom SUV to HD D/Max, buy Bilstein. Probably the last shock you will ever buy for that vehicle.

Oongawah
06-27-2003, 09:31
Hey Scott,

I got em'. I don't beat the tarnation out of my truck and have had them on several vehicles. When I put them on my Bronco it was night and day. Same for my Dakota CC. I bought them for highway use because the ride was so smooth and controlled with the previous trucks, however, on the MAX the fronts seem to return too quickly, and you don't have as much control as I experienced with the other vehicles. My full sized Bronco would hardly stop on washboard roads before, then when I put the Edelbrocks on you could hardly tell the same road. On the Max I still get skip(I'm going to call and see if maybe I got the wrong shocks-maybe these are for the gasser). Anyway, I'd say it's safer to go with the Bilsteins. I just didn't like how firm my Astro rode with Bilsteins. That's why there's flavors. Take care, Chuck.

Professor
06-27-2003, 10:11
I had the same luck as Gardnerteam. My edelbrocks on my Suburban lasted about a year and they were junk. I would not call it severe use in my case.

nickm3
06-27-2003, 11:02
Put them on my '95, did not have any problems but I was not impressed. Not much improvement over the OEM's they replaced. Have heard from a local speed shop that some people love them and some feel same as me. Think they may be better suited to some vehicle than to others. I'll will look at the Bilstein's next time.

jcummins
06-27-2003, 11:52
Put me on the 'I don't want them list'. I put them on a 96 Tahoe. At first they were great, but less than a year later I replaced them under warranty. Less than a year later Tahoe was gone, so I can't say to much about the 2nd set. For the money I was expecting more. I'm going to get a set of Bilstiens for the 2500HD.

mdrag
06-27-2003, 12:04
Topic transferred to the Accessories forum.