PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Filter

hogbreth
12-12-2001, 15:20
I plan to change the fuel filter for the first time. I purchased a Lisle strap filter wrench and I'm just about ready to go. Should I try to loosen it from the top or from under the truck? What should I watch out for? Any Advise.
Thanks

Turbo Al
12-12-2001, 16:58
Hogbreth: Hi I did mine from the top.
1. Take a close look at the filter you are going to put on, esp the bottom.
2. No need to fill it with fuel.
3. Un hook the connection at bottom of old filter.
4. Remove the old filter (clockwise if doing it from top of motor)& check that both 0-rings & the black rubber seal came off with the filter and are NOT still in the filter housing. My black rubber seal stayed on the housing for some reason.
5. Put a little bit of grease on the 0-rings and the black rubber seal.
6. Put the new filter on and reconnect connection on bottom.
7. Open black bleed valve and pump primer bulb until fuel comes out then retighten valve. The valve has to be retightened or the motor will not run -- I opened it while the motor was running and it stalled out -- I thought maybe it was like the 6.5 and I could bleed the remaining air out -- you can't.
*Note* I think when you remove the bottom connection the fuel comes out and drains right onto the frame below -- maybe use a small catch bucket.

It's been about 3 months since I did mine so I hope I remembered everything.

------------------
Member #750
2001 Ext Cab LB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Victory Red, K & N
1993 6.5 TD 4x4 reg cab LB, 5 speed
1972 Pontiac Lemans

Jackmchome
12-12-2001, 17:56
Fuel oil will take the paint/undercoating off anything it touches. Be sure to catch the oil as you take the filter off. Maybe put a plastic bag on it? I have not changed mine yet, so I am not sure of a method to trap the oil.

------------------
2500HD, D-Maxx, Ally, Reg cab, LB

Joe Dawson
12-12-2001, 18:05
Turbo Al
When I changed my fuel filter I only remember the 2 o rings. Where is the black rubber seal? This was changed about 5000 miles ago and everything the truck is running fine.

------------------
2001 GMC 2WD 2500 HD D/A CC Long Bed 6500 lbs.
AirLift Superlifts, Lucerix Mirrors
Fumoto Drain Valve, Delvac 1
Amsoil Dual Remote Oil Filter
Chieftain Air Horns
53 Gal Fuel Tank Toolbox Combo
DTA Running Boards

2001 Sunnybrook 31ft. BWFS
Precision Temp Tankless Water Heater
Jordon Ultima Controller
Honda EU 3000 Generator

Mic
12-12-2001, 19:52
Hey Joe in St. Hgts.,

i did mine about a month ago and I don't see a black seal. Just 2 black O-rings like you mentioned. It there was one, I did not get it with the filter, therefore I would of had to put it back on with the new filter.

Turbo Al...can you elaborate a little more>

------------------

Joe Dawson
12-12-2001, 19:56
I just went and looked at my spare filter and there is a black seal in the middle of the top part of the filter.

------------------
2001 GMC 2WD 2500 HD D/A CC Long Bed 6500 lbs.
AirLift Superlifts, Lucerix Mirrors
Fumoto Drain Valve, Delvac 1
Amsoil Dual Remote Oil Filter
Chieftain Air Horns
53 Gal Fuel Tank Toolbox Combo
DTA Running Boards

2001 Sunnybrook 31ft. BWFS
Precision Temp Tankless Water Heater
Jordon Ultima Controller
Honda EU 3000 Generator

hoot
09-11-2002, 19:39
I just changed my fuel filter. The last time I did it I filled the new one with fuel. Someone said if you do that, be sure it's super clean fuel you're pouring in cause that fuel bypasses the filter.

This time I did like Turbo Al said. I just installed it dry, primed it, tightened the bleeder and she started right up without a miss.

JEBar
09-11-2002, 20:23
on step 3 above given by Turbo Al, please note the connection is not at the bottom of the filter...follow the wire out of the filter and you will find it is located beside the block a few inches towards the front of the engine, once the filter is removed the whole unit unscrews from the bottom....Jim

Da-Max
09-17-2002, 23:05
I just changed my fuel filter today and there is 2 O rings and rubber seal. All three came off when I removed the filter.

Those of you who have successfuly changed their filter from the top, I applaued you.

A friend of mine warned me not to even attempt that route, but to remove your inner wheel well and access the filter that way.

Well I thought I could do it from the top but after a few choice words, and a couple of hurled strap wrenches, I removed the inner wheel well. MUCH MUCH easier.

mtomac
09-18-2002, 04:48
Pull out the fender liner it makes the job alot easier. Once you've done it a couple times you'll be able to take it out with your eyes closed.

RVGuy
09-18-2002, 09:17
What is the tool of choice for removing the fuel filter? Strap tool or other device? About how tight should the new one go on?

george morrison
09-18-2002, 10:03
Jim has posted a wonderful Duramax Fuel filter replacement guide, along with great photos over in the article portion of the Dieselpage.. It is step by step.. Highly recommend you visit it, print it.
My next question: exactly what is the filtration rating of the OEM filter??
George Morrison

MountainMax
09-18-2002, 10:57
The from the top/wheel well debate is an old one back to raise it's ugly head. This is my first diesel and I was alittle nervous the first ime I changed my filter. I was wondering which way to do it too. Then someone posted a little wisdom.
Something to the effect of:

"What if your in the middle of nowhere in the dark and your truck shuts down because of a clogged filter/bad fuel and You have to change it on the side of the road. You'd be better off if you knew how to change it from above"

I followed this advice and changed mine from above. It wasn't as hard as I expected. Condsidering the time it would take to jack up the truck, remove the wheel, the skirt and then replace them. I feel from above is more time efficient. I now carry a spare filter and my strap wrench just in case and I know I could do it if I had to on the side of the road.

Nels
09-18-2002, 12:16
The fender liner can be easily removed with the truck sitting on all fours. Wheel removal is not neccessary. However, I changed my fuel filter from the top. It's not that bad to get at, but I just wish it was easier to see the mounting surface to line up the new filter for replacement. I had some trouble on my first filter change getting the big O-ring to stay in the groove until the filter was screwed up to the mount. As stated above, a bit of lubricant eases this problem. I want to try soaking the big O-ring in diesel the next time I change out the filter. On my first change the new O-ring seemed just a little small, causing the aforementioned trouble with it not staying in the groove. I ended up re-using the old O-ring because it fit better. I think the reason for this may be that it swells a little after soaked with diesel.

hoot
09-18-2002, 13:09
Bad thing about the article is they did the filter change on an engine that's not in a truck. I'm not pulling my engine out to change the filter ;)

I use a pail liner that you can buy at Home Depot for 1 gal paint cans. It's a clear flexable liner that I use as a catch pan. You can practically fold it flat and put it under the filter, sitting on the frame. When you let it go, it expands back into shape.

I use a metal strap wrench that has a 3/8 square drive.

tpitt
09-18-2002, 14:59
Haven't changed mine yet, but for us with the 2002's you will see they changed the A.C. lines. I will pull the fender well. tpitt

Flyboy
09-18-2002, 17:42
I change mine from the top with a strap wrench also. Do not loose the air bleed screw!! I lost mine. I know, it doesn't have to be removed to bleed the air but I did it anyway and managed to loose it. Called my dealer for a replacement. No part number. Had to call GM. GM says that it is available only with the filter housing assembly!! Big bucks. Made one out of a bolt and O ring. After I moved the truck, and after a lot of searching, I found It. Will hang on to the bolt.

tpitt
09-18-2002, 21:06
Flyboy,
How did you get the filter out of the top? My A.C. line is right in the way. I did mine after I posted earlier and pulled the inner fender. I thought for awhile I was working on a F++d. There was an electrical line right in the way where I couldn't get the strap wrench on the filter. This was after I had already moved the glow plug wires. Fortunately I could remove it by hand and after I did I tie-wrapped the offending wire out of the way. Next time should be easier. tpitt

Jomar
09-18-2002, 21:20
I loosend my filter with a strap wrench from the top, reach behind the tire, pulled outward on the fender well and reach up with my hand and removed the filter. Reverse procedure to install. Opps,forgot to mention, disconnected wire from bottom of filter first.

Jomar