PDA

View Full Version : Stanadyne FM100 finds thirsty Dmax

Gbenzx01
06-29-2003, 18:53
Have had the FM100 pump/5mic filter install on frame rail for abt 2 wks now with no more air probs or shutdowns after 5-10 secs as i had after install of Cat 2mic post oem filter!
But I did not know until yesterday am that a big surprise was on it's way.
After stopping for traffic at the four lane I turned right (us301) & decided to go wot which I seldom do & lost traction at abt 20mph.
I lightened up slightly & when the power came back with such a surge it was quite a launch.
After shifting to 4 & again into 5th it did this again. I was so surprised I just let the thing eat up to the limiter.
Is this what all Dmax engines are supossed to do? I am so pleased with the thing I've repeated it abt 5 more times. Now talk abt smile......
No pressure guage yet, can't find threads to match. But can set valve at 45 angle & goto off position on pump switch so abt half is bypassed & see no difference in normal running on the road.
Has anyone removed the oem? And what abt the wires? I'm in no hurry but I want the Cat filter with it's thunb pump out from under the airbox.
Scott at Reliable Ind. gave us very good deal on the Stanadyne.

Brokers & Hoot tell em;
I'm mad as hell & ain't gonna take it anymore!

Thanx Yall, Gben

Billy T
06-29-2003, 20:18
Gben,
If you are charging the fuel system with more than 1/2 psi, THE ENGINE WILL NOT LIKE IT! Let that be a warning! Check it out...

FYI, I am unfamiliar with the FM100 so I may be out of line here.

:confused:

CPMac632
06-29-2003, 23:01
Billy T why will THE ENGINE NOT LIKE MORE THAN 1/2 psi?

jbplock
06-30-2003, 05:46
BillyT,

Welcome to the Forum! (I see you have recently joined us). Do you have experience adding a lift pump to the Dmax? If so a number of us would be interested in hearing more. Several here have added Lift pumps to compensate for added restriction induced by additional fuel filters – so far with excellent results. Some of these setups are regulated to approx 0-.5 psi and some are not. If remember correctly from reading the multitude of fuel filter posts, there are at least 2 or 3 people running the Stanadyne FM100 with the Lift pump option (unregulated) with no problems. I think this pump runs about 7psi.
smile.gif

sdaver
06-30-2003, 06:00
hey gben drop me a email dvgamble@bellsouth.net with a number Ill call......mine from scott should be here today......dave

Gbenzx01
06-30-2003, 19:28
Thanx for the comebacks,

BillyT;

Our thread, Full Time Lift Pump Please
brought out several issues relating to pressures etc.

CntrlCalDmax, Leo, Many thnx for your input & the Pics. We did our setup almost like your pics show. Your setup still doing fine job?
dpearlriver; Still humming right along?
Have you tried wot after shifting to 2nd with lite truck with pump on & bypass cut out completely? All we had in the bed @ 1st test above was a frame mtd welder(abt 350lbs), 250gal tractor tank abt empty(maybe 250lbs) & a cat d6d winch(don'teven no...maybe 200).
Tried one time only from dead stop & will not do this again. The ole steeltex rags ain't much but need them to last a little longer.

Sdave: If you go to the thread mentioned above & punch Leo's good Pics we did almost the same. Sorry that I know not howto pics. At the supply side we used the parker T ballvalve set vertical with bypass off bottom (only 6in hose) & to pump inlet looped from top. We used a 1/8in stainless adapter T type plate to get the unit up against the body floor so it is well clear of bottom of frame rail. Also cut 1in off valve handle to clear the filter.
With the newfound power am thinking now abt egt's when we hookup to the gooseneck or the 5er & start up the smokies. But anyhow, call if you like on the cell 904 449 2786......

Thanx, Gben

Corndog
06-30-2003, 20:49
Hi Guys
Been lurking awhile, on the subject of lift pumps. I have been running a NAPA 100 GPH 8 PSI dead head, for about 6500 miles with no issues.
Just thought Yall might want to know. tongue.gif

Dog

CntrlCalDmax
06-30-2003, 21:11
Gbenzx01,

Glad the pics helped. I have about 12,000 miles (7,000 towing) with the pump running at 3psi and still haven't changed out the 5 mic FM100 filter. Pressure gauge still reads the same.

I picked up a set of new take off 245 tires for free and the cheapskate in me put them on for the summer, even though I can't stand the way they look. With these tires and Hot Juice on 4, when it hits second gear-HANG ON. :D I don't think these tires will last past summer. ;)

Leo

[ 07-01-2003, 06:58 AM: Message edited by: CntrlCalDmax ]

srubrn
07-01-2003, 09:15
I have a engineer contact at Stanadyne and he told me not to put any lift pump in the system due to the fact that the factory pump is designed to draw fuel not be forced it. He called it side loading the pump and would probably lead to problems down the road with the factory pump. I run the Stanadyne FM-100 without pump with no problems.

a bear
07-01-2003, 09:48
Todd,
The 2003 Dodges are using the same Bosch system as the DMax. One difference is the in tank lift pump that Dodge uses. Not to flame anyone here but maybe this filter manufacturer engineer would like to explain our DMax LP pump and how we can side load a single stage pump.

GMCTRUCK
07-01-2003, 09:57
Stanadyne is a large manufacturer of diesel injection pumps, not just filters.

a bear
07-01-2003, 10:17
And so the question still stands. :eek:

[ 07-01-2003, 10:30 AM: Message edited by: a bear ]

CntrlCalDmax
07-01-2003, 10:26
I spoke with what I consider a very knowledgeable technical representative at Stanadyne on two occasions, and at some length, who saw no problem with running a relatively low head pressure to the Dmax fuel system. I have his name and phone number and will pass it along via e-mail if anyone is interested.

leot@corpair.com

Gbenzx01
07-01-2003, 20:40
Thanx guys,

Leo, Didn't find your post abt what the Stanadyne people had advised but appreciate the comeback.
Now not being a fluid engineer I cannot swear this but in the suction system it would appear that both air & water would move faster & arrive sooner at the injection point than heavier diesel.
And if so would it not work in reverse of this in a pressure system = less air & maybe water?
When I told Roy at his diesel injection shop to replace the oem hoses with the parkers & said I wanted an air tight system he looked at me rite stern & said, there is no such thing as an air tight injection system. This little guy has been in this business for at least 3 decades that I know of & is one of those that says very little if you know what I mean. Yes I know every kind of pumper must indeed create a suction to be what it is tobe = why engineers love submersibles & of course cooling. And if 1, 3, 5, or 7psi helps keep the bosch cooler & last longer by getting the quantity up closer to 110gph, fine with me!

Thanx, Gben

sdaver
07-01-2003, 20:44
mines up an running gben thanks for the help :D

Billy T
07-01-2003, 20:47
Just got back to check the forums.

Guys, I have a contact VERY high at GM DMAX Engineering who told me that the system likes to draw fuel, not be force fed. If you insist on force feeding it, he said to keep the pressures 1/2 PSI or below. I did tell him that made no sense to me, but he did tell me "The system does not like positive pressure into the fuel pump" Some of you have done it with good success and I cannot explain why a pressure on the pump inlet would affect anything, but it does. With the engine idling w/o lift pump, you can pump the primer pump on the factory filter and hear the engine sound change. I personally like the idea of a lift pump, but for now, will wait.

Billy T

[ 07-01-2003, 08:56 PM: Message edited by: Billy T ]

Burner
07-01-2003, 20:55
Billy, Did you get the info?

Burner----> :rolleyes:

Billy T
07-01-2003, 21:00
Burner if you are reffering to the manometer test on the exhaust, I have not had time to do it. I will soon though. I spoke with Banks yesterday about their noisy muffler and was asked to send to my contact in engineering, which I will do ASAP.

Burner
07-01-2003, 21:23
I'm glad one of us thought that an extra atmosphere was bad. ;) ------ What about the SuperTherm e-mail?

Burner-----> :D

Gbenzx01
07-02-2003, 19:35
Sdave,
Good deal & yes pretty good little chore.
And as I touched on the other thread just my 2 sense worth don't believe I would go full bore without getting a few miles so the brain boxes will be in handshake to pull it off. I mean those with power chips & tuner related boost stuff.....
Ran ours over a week at 50% bypass before cutting the bypass off & found good place & time to turn it loose. But wasn't driving that much either & was in no rush to prove it due to my unknowing of what was in store.

Everyone else,
Those that don't want pressure are right because at one end it is a suction system.
And those that want pressure are right because at the other end they can surely make it a pressure system!
When we plow new ground someone may break the plow but then too if everbody had waited for years for somebody else to plow where would we be on this day?
And today with 28k mi on the odo & 458 on the tripmeter, abt a third hwy 21.1 ran it over with the pump @ full time. Abt 1000lbs in the bed 4x4, What ya think? It just gets better, gettin older & wiser. Like Me?

Thnx, Gben

Gbenzx01
07-04-2003, 07:53
We have disconnected & capped the wires coming to the oem racor & so far abt 150 local miles no codes, no blinking or any other indication that the Dmax will be upset when're ready to remove the thing.
Will move the Cat filter to this location & looks like it will take only abt a 1in sq adapter tube maybe 4in long to fit it up.

Sdave,
How do you get these things done so quickly? Everyone around here are chocked up anymore with big rigs n caterpillars & say, here comes that guy again with that Dmax pickup truck! Let's see here now how far is Alabama anyhow?
Still runnin the Stanadyne at max flow for fuelgph reason & donot intend to cut it back as the higher ups among us advise = anvil head me!
If the little sucker pump in the bosch whines maybe by then we'll know how to extract the thing & chunk it.
Thnx, Gben

sdaver
07-06-2003, 09:32
rainey days with two fulltime mechanics........All of the mixers and lulls are running.....they just love my projects :D dave