PDA

View Full Version : Diesel Engine Evaluation

jqqd
03-14-2003, 11:13
I have been reviewing all the posts on the three main diesel sites for the different American trucks to try and make a decision on which to purchase. Both the Dmax and the Cummins look like excellent products. But one thing that really impressed me was the availability of Cummins support. I contacted Cummins through their website with a few technical questions and they responded within hours. They even have a page on their site dedicated to the #odge truck using their product. Cummins seems to be a very dedicated and responsive company. Is Duramax as approachable and forth coming with information?

hoot
03-14-2003, 12:15
Not much for one on one Q&A, but they do have plenty online that tells you about the engine/trans.

As far as I know all GM has is their regular "clueless" 800 number.

The great thing is, you don't have to call it! Well, most of us don't.

A good response dept. is definately a good asset.

[ 03-14-2003: Message edited by: hoot ]</p>

a64pilot
03-17-2003, 10:03
IMHO, The Cummins is an excellent engine. Too bad it comes wrapped in that package. ;) ;)

DmaxCC6spd
03-17-2003, 12:48
I agree with a64pilot. I love my Duramax truck, don't get me wrong, but if GM had pushed forward offering a diesel built by Cummins or Cat, they would have cornered the market. Hopefully the Duramax is the best engine, but from a marketing position, the name recognition of Cummins or Cat coupled with the easy to drive and good handling GM truck platform would have converted many #ord and #odge purists for sure.

schnier
03-17-2003, 13:30
Duramax VS Cummins information? Duramax has only been out 2 or 3 years, and there is not very much information on them, unless you search through GM articles and websites. Cummins on the other hand has been around many years and have a lot of independent shops all over the world. You have to look deeper than this to make a decision. Drive both truck and make an honest decision of what YOU are looking for. Evaluate the transmission, ride, comfort, price, and so on to come to a final conclusion. Good luck.

Jim Cobler
03-17-2003, 13:56
I am very happy with my Duramax and have had no problems with it but calling the General Motors 800 number is a waste of time.

They simply refer you to a local dealer and in my area the local dealer had never even serviced one. The GM representative then offered to phone dealers the the larger cities around me with me on the line. That proved to be an embarrassment because none of them could answer my questions either. The good news is the this site answered all of my questions and many more.

Amianthus
03-17-2003, 14:03
I'm one of the few here that owns a Cummins powered Dodge. I can tell you this much. Before you make a purchase of this magnitude, you really need to decide what you will be using this truck for. The Dmax has some fine points like ride, creature comforts, and smoothness. The Dodge has it good points also like Cummins engine, stiffer body panels, solid front axle.

It all comes down to what you will want to use it for. I tell people this. If you are going to tow alot, plow, haul around rough loads, go for the Cummins powered Dodge. If you are going to spend a ton of windshield time with it, tow an RV cross country, want a true four door cab, go with the Dmax / Allison. It's as honest as I can make it.

rmlm
03-17-2003, 14:45
What Amianthus said.

I have a pair of the 5.9 Cummins in my boat and they are just rock solid engines - over 3500 hours and not a hiccup. tongue.gif tongue.gif

But my 2500 HD Duramax is the nicest "car" I've ever owned (kept my '84 C6P in case I needed a Truck). Hope this engine turns out to be as good as the Cummins.

[ 03-17-2003: Message edited by: rmlm ]</p>

sonofagun
03-17-2003, 15:43
jqqd,

My big question on this choice would not be the engine but the transmission. At the moment I think the Allison is way beyond the Do### unit. F### is gearing up a new one that will take some consideration.

My 2c,

Good luck,
Bob

mackin
03-17-2003, 16:03
Ford has The Torqueshift now.....The only thing going for it right now also.....Lurked over on the Diesel Stop lately ???

Ouch !!!!!

Teething problems,I'll say, bring on the dentures !!!!!!

Duramax Allison all the way .......

MAC :D :D :D