PDA

View Full Version : engine dies (long)Whats wrong?

raygreg
06-29-2003, 21:21
Drove about 90 miles pulling 5th wheel. Got off of freeway and went thru a town. Stopped for a stop sign and engine quit. Would turn over but not start. Pumped the primer thing a few times and presto it fires up. Turned the corner, drove about a block and it dies again. I pump the primer again, and it fires right up. Drove about 7 miles to campground, and it died again while parking the 5th wheel. The next day I checked the fuel filter tightness (is that a word?)with a strap wrench and the filter moved about an 1/8th of an inch. Drove around all day and no problems. Next day, hook up 5th wheel and head home. Drove about 90 miles and got off the freeway, going about 60 mph and engine just quits. Lots of Sunday traffic. Are We Having FUN YET?. Coasts to a stop. Got out and pumped the primer again, fires right up. Drove home and it dies while I'm backing into driveway. Fuel filter has been on about 2000 miles, Had an injector pump put on about a 1000 miles ago for the idle surge. Idles great now when it is running. What do you think??? Oh yea it is a early 2001, stock.

mackin
06-30-2003, 04:24
You must be loosing prime,if all it takes is a couple pumps on the primer to restart .....

Where,let the dealer worry about it ... Perhaps a connection where they were last present with the repair they made .....

Guess John can scribe anouther notch on the wall ..... ;)

Mac :D

sdaver
06-30-2003, 04:27
Its getting air somewhere and so is mine My starter turns over 4 secondes or better for a crank....headed to the dealer.......7:30 this morning......good luck

dmaxalliTech
06-30-2003, 16:38
sdaver, dont forget to let me know what they find.!!

Raygreg, I would first look at all connections that were affected in pump replacement, including rubber hoses which are prone to getting small holes in them if handled poorly, its very easy to do..

raygreg
07-01-2003, 17:33
Dealer has ordered the module that "tells" the injection pump what to do. Part is supposed to be in tomorrow. I hope that fixes it.

Gbenzx01
07-06-2003, 19:51
raygreg,

Sorry you,ve had the problem & hope it settled & gone by now.
But I had the same thing on 2 seperate occasions & just like yours it usually happened after extended time on hiway when I would pull in somewhere & goto idle. The 2nd time I had pulled into a fuel island & when it expired abt the time I got out of the truck I said, well just stay quit dang ya. And lo when I loosened the fuel cap sheeew, so much suction it was jerking a stopper from a bottle. I beat the thing against the nozzle before reinstalling it. But I didn't rest until I got a new one from the stealers, said at that time had replaced 5 or 6 if I remember rite.
Although it's not mentioned much here on DP me thimks there are hundreds or more causing silent problems that even the stealers are to proud maybe to even hint abt the FUELCAP! = No more starving for fuel quit or not.
Also did they tell you what destroyed the pump? Most have blamed fuel contamination I think just to pass it off & maybe so, maybe not. These Bosch systems I must admit are tough as nails & not supposed to up & quit. But in rare cases where they have had probs I'll bet that overtemp due to reduced fuel quantity for cooling is Big part of problem.
Probly know already but carry new filter onboard & I know you said 2000mi but I've seen filters clog up in less than 100mi!
Thnx, Gben

[ 07-06-2003, 08:22 PM: Message edited by: Gbenzx01 ]

Gbenzx01
07-06-2003, 21:07
Sdave,

Sorry I missed your post. Yes you may have air as we discussed per cell somewhere via the installation of the stan system. When parked overnight I generally goto on position for abt 2secs & it fires instantly. Otherwise at any other time does not hesitate. Yes, fuel cap?
I bet the Dmax is the biggest drunkard known in the light truck community! I do believe it can drink our 485 caterpillar under the table. Of course for quantity I mean not mpg.
We've experimented some with the bypass by cutting the psi back but it just performs much better with the full flow so we'll leave it alone & let it eat. And maybe it sounds backwards but the mpg has picked up again!
If it's not broke just fix it until it is! = Thats me.

Thanx Gben

Burner
07-06-2003, 21:39
Gben, What's a 485 Cat? I've just read the thread and had no Idea what a 485 is? I can't believe that I can't........oh wait...is it one of those crawler things...they pick or pick up....Farmming stuff right? Is it a combine (sp)? :confused:

Burner-------> :D

raygreg
07-06-2003, 22:45
Gbenzx01, Thanks for the tip on the fuel tank cap.
The Fuel injection control module was replaced, at least that is what it says on my copy of the paper work. I took it for a ride of about 200 miles yesterday, and it ran well. I was not pulling the fifth wheel though, so the truck didn't have to work too hard. I guess I will reserve judgement on weather it is fixed or not until I pull the 5ver.

sdaver
07-07-2003, 07:44
MINE WAS A BAD FUEL FILTER SO THEY SAID(two weeks old.. my shop guy might have overtightnend the wif sender and pinched the oring).......gben this was pre lift pump.....still get a long start at times but I think its mostly from the hot.xx juice and the timing advanced. :D dave

Gbenzx01
07-07-2003, 09:32
Burner,
These were some of the last 9G's with the twin pacs & we rather have it than any 10 we've seen to this day in a push machine. Also same powerplant in some of the off road dumps.

raygreg,
Wonder how many fuel caps they've changed & charged GM &/or customer for no tellin what, but nah they wouldn't do that. Would they? For sure not in Wa, Or, Id or Mt, states like that who are still people people. But around here we even have terroistez teaching in the colleges.
We always remember to ask for the part that is to be replaced. Well we know they cannot give us a pump since they have togo back to Bosch but at least they should show us the one that was removed. Hope your truck beok since they probly rechkd their prev work.

Sdave,
Rejoice, for the spinning a few times at start for preoil is just the right thing for diesels & something much welcome when it get's down & frigid. Had to put a switch on dod cummins we had to delay start a little when up in the mtn country. Now let's here. Fwiw, you never get one fixed! We probly goto 10mic Stan filter when the 5 gives up. Yes I did first say 30 but now we've decided to chunk the oem.

Thanx Gben

[ 07-07-2003, 09:50 AM: Message edited by: Gbenzx01 ]

Kennedy
07-07-2003, 19:14
Originally posted by mackin:

Guess John can scribe anouther notch on the wall ..... ;)

Mac :D Guess I don't make these things up huh? ;)

We are in testing of a check valve retrofit. This may help/cure the stalls, but will not keep the gasses in solution....

earniem
07-09-2003, 21:20
I had the engine stalls after about 130 miles and about 8 pumps on the primer to get it going. My injector pump was replaced twice, The fuel tank replaced, the check valve on the injector pump relpaced and then it happened at the dealer. Th GM engeneer wanted to replace the pump again but I talked the dealer into replaceing the ( fuel managment system ) Filter and prime pump and all related hose and it has finally fixed the problem.

Gbenzx01
07-09-2003, 22:43
earnie,
It is good that your new truck problem was corrected via your advise, no thnx to them, huh?
In how many days or weeks? This must be one of the worst displays of stealers ills to date. But it's not only GM, we hear this a lot from other brands too.
Over the years we have seen thumb pumps leak on several brands of diesel engines which is just one of several reasons we intend to replace it with the 2mic cat. Could very well be that many of these are drawing air into the suction systems & causing problems. But some things wejust take for granted.
Glad it's doing right & don't be mistaken for you have the very best that our dollars will buy.

Thanx, Gben

[ 07-09-2003, 10:51 PM: Message edited by: Gbenzx01 ]