PDA

View Full Version : Picking up 3500 out of state

Ron Richardson
12-08-2002, 11:01
Hi,

I'll be picking up my new Silverado 3500 out of state and then immediately driving 1000 miles to get it home. ROAD TRIP !

I know that I should baby it for the first 500 miles but would there be any other recommendations for that trip.

1. Change fluids on the way, say at 500?
2. Use recommended tire pressure or ?
3. Any mods beyond stock? I do want mud flaps.
4. ???

Thanks!

Ron

toophless
12-08-2002, 11:06
Try to vary your speed and for the first 250 miles or so stop as often as possible to let the rear cool down.

rtquig
12-08-2002, 12:59
You can wait till you get home to change out the fluids. As toophles recommends, I would vary the speed during the first 500 miles of the trip. It's hard once you get up to speed to slow down and vary it, but it will be worth it to break it in right. I would let the rear go until 5,000 miles unless you will tow with it from the start, then I would change it after 500 miles of towing. I waited until 5,000 miles to change the filter on the trans (don't forget to take the magnet off the old filter. I ordered 3 trans filters from an Allison dealer because when I went to the Chevy dealer, the parts kid was trying to sell me the filter that is inside the transmission. Good luck, take it slow then fast then slow etc, etc, etc....

Allison Jettester
12-09-2002, 10:27
Ron, I did exactly the same thing. I varied the speed and never went over 50 for the first 200 miles (it was really difficult!). I also stopped at 50 miles to let the differential cool down. It was hot too. I stopped again at 100 to check it and it was just warm. GM says the engine doesn't need breaking in, but Eaton says the diff does. After 200 miles I let'r rip and loved every minute of it. I changed engine oil, diff fluid and trans filter when I got home. I have over 10K on her now and it has not used a drop of oil nor does it smoke at all. I enjoyed driving it so much that I drove the whole trip non-stop, other than once for fuel, food and the above.

Enjoy your truck!

Joe

[ 12-09-2002: Message edited by: Allison Jettester ]</p>

Dave_WB3FYV
12-09-2002, 11:55
Also did the same thing last Thanksgiving, but went 1800 miles non-stop! Although I did give it a couple hundred mile breakin run to Hot Springs and back (wifey started on a me-too kick so had to give her a vacation to get the truck. The things I do for her...) After the power-run, changed fluids at 4000 miles, first chance I had. No problem since, no oil used between changes, rear-end didn't get hot during the drive. Varied the speed too - between 70 and 90 :D I figured getting it up to temp and keeping it there for a while would help break-in faster. Got 24mpg on the last leg so must have done something right!!!

Who was it said "Drive it like ya' stole it" !!! ;)

Dave_WB3FYV
12-09-2002, 12:17
Oh yeah, unless you're real long-legged, you might think of running boards or some kind of step bars. Sliding over the edge of the seat climbing in and out gets old in a hurry...
Get the truck first, let the bank account recover - then ask your 'mods' question again, there'll be a list :D :D :D

Ron Richardson
12-09-2002, 16:25
Thanks all...

Sounds like the concensus is take it easy for the first 200miles and then let 'er rip !

Yea Dave, I'm 6'2" and not much trouble climbing aboard. I know what you mean about that bank account though... $40K plus $20K for my camper. Good thing I'm single!

VA_Dmax
12-09-2002, 17:46
Ron,

You beat me to the punch, I was going to ask the same question this week. Hopefully picking mine up before Christmas and I needed some info on how to break it in on the highway. Im headed on a holiday road trip also!

Mine will be equiped with the 6 speed manual however. Does anybody know if that will require any special attention? Should I just duck off at a few exits now and then to run her through the gears good?

Thanks!!!!

Ron Richardson
12-10-2002, 10:08
How about fuel additives? Is it best to start the additives from mile one ? No telling what the weather's going to be like in Idaho in January.