PDA

View Full Version : Kennedy Mega Filter

Somis Duramax
03-14-2003, 19:26
I just installed one of Mr. Kennedy's pre-production units. I installed it as the secondary filter.A little line moving is required to install it as a secondary filter. I was very happy with the quality of the kit. The filter is huge. Check out the install instructions on John's web site for a good idea of what it takes to install it.

56Nomad
03-14-2003, 19:32
Somis Duramax,

Please post your pictures......... and also let us know how
your fuel mileage is affected, that being improved or
remaining the same.

[ 03-14-2003: Message edited by: 56Nomad ]</p>

Kennedy
03-14-2003, 21:46
Sounds like the EGR apparatus is in the way a bit and a little "fanagling" may be required to get the kit installed as a secondary on the 2002/3 CA trucks.

Tim sent me some pics, but they did not come through...

Somis Duramax
03-15-2003, 12:13
see if this works.
http://www.geocities.com/fieldhockeymudder/ DuramaxDiesel.html

hoot
03-15-2003, 12:34
Get rid of the space between / and Duramax

http://www.geocities.com/fieldhockeymudder/DuramaxDiesel.html

[ 03-15-2003: Message edited by: hoot ]</p>

Somis Duramax
03-15-2003, 14:04
Thanks Hoot. 56 I just filled truck this week so it will be awhile. I have been getting 14-15 to and from work (50-55) and get 20.5 on the freeway at 70(ish)

Silver Bullet
03-15-2003, 22:59
Hey Somis! Where's the beef??? I mean pics! The page comes up, but there are no pics!?!?!?

NWDmax
03-16-2003, 00:29
Just finished the Mega filter install.Standard JK quality with no suprises.
Took 217 pumps of the bleeder to fill that big filter.
Installed as a secondary as well and access is easy through the fenderwell.
Slight bulge of the fenderwell liner where it contacts the filter will require a minor mod as my 285/75R16's BFG's tickle it on a tight turn.
Online instuctions were great and JK called me back to clarify the "pipe dope on the nipple" question.
I'm looking forward to possible better mileage and a lot more peace of mind. smile.gif

[ 03-15-2003: Message edited by: NWDmax ]</p>

jbplock
03-16-2003, 05:02
NWDmax/JK

What is the clarification on "pipe dope on the nipple" ? I'll be installing my megafilter this week and was thinking of using "red" loctite thread-locker on the nipple ("Adds 3,000 PSI holding power on slip and press fit assemblies"). Anyone see a problem with this?

smile.gif

Kennedy
03-16-2003, 08:26
Bill,

Threadlocker is ok IF you never want to remove the nipple. Future units will have an oring on the nipple. Once tightened, they will not leak even w/o any oring/sealant, but I'm worried the nipple may back out with the filter...

NW,

Do the tires touch the liner below, or AT the filter? I am looking at "cheating" the filter even further fwd, BUT that little "shelf" on the bottom of the core support may hinder element R&R.

Somis,

Do I understand correctly that the CA trucks have a longer steel line that routes to the valve cover area rather than ending in the valley?

[ 03-16-2003: Message edited by: kennedy ]</p>

Somis Duramax
03-16-2003, 08:40
Silver you have mail.

John, the pump inlet line runs to within 1" of the filter out line. The piece of hose I removed was 2 1/2 ". I bent the pump side line down and fwd and rotated the filter side up so that the 2 hoses just barely touch as the pass.The close up pic I sent (or tried to) shows it. The steel line to the pump looks to be 1 piece all the way from pump to filter picking up 2 clamp points by EGR valve

NWDmax
03-16-2003, 09:27
JK:Bottom of the liner before install had 1.2" clearance from the front tire.After is about .25"
It only ticks the bottom edge so I'm going to build a little bracket to pin back that bottom lip using those factory push pin fasteners.
The install went smooth no tool throwing or cold sweats!
Blake :D

TraceF
03-16-2003, 09:29
What's the life expectancy of the filter installed post-oem?

NWDmax
03-16-2003, 09:56
TraceF:I believe JK's site says something about once a year given "normal" type driving.It shouldn't be very often considering the size of the thing!

mdrag
03-16-2003, 11:49
I have 225/70 19.5" Michelin XDE M/S tires ~32.6" diameter. No clearance issues.

Somis Duramax
03-16-2003, 12:31
Silver Bullet was kind enough to repost the pics at http://www.monkey.net/steve/fuel_filter

Thanks Steve

Silver Bullet
03-16-2003, 15:42
No problem...I shrunk the pics a little so the page will load faster for those of us that don't have high speed internet!

56Nomad
03-16-2003, 20:02
Somis Duramax ,

I see in your first photo that you still have
the factory glue on aluminum bandage.

You can rip that thing off and avoid having it
sucked into your air box at a later date.
Also better air flow.

ChevysRus
03-16-2003, 20:25
OK, don't take this the wrong way, you guys have much more experience than I can ever hope to catch up to, but I have read and followed all the posts on the second fuel filter suggestions and I have a couple of questions for my own enlightenment:

1. Why mess around with the EDU fuel hoses etc. Isn't it the same to just take the OEM out line hose and run it to the new filter "in" line and then the new filter "out" line to the fuel line that was hooked to the OEM "out" nipple? This is if you want it set up as post OEM.

Other than length of hoses why mess with the EDU?

2. Personally, from what I have seen I think I prefer the firewall mounting location. I was looking at the location under the airbox and other than possibly "hiding" the second filter from the dealer, I was thinking about having the fuel up there close to a front end collision. With the "weak" front ends these trucks have it would not take much of a front ender to rip that filter and have a fuel spill. I realize it is not the same as a gasoline leak/spill, but if the #2 should get ignited you can probably kiss the truck goodbye and I am not sure what the insurance company would say about the "Mods" being the cause of the fire. The firewall offers more protection and at least it is behind the OEM as far as the insurance issues go.

Maybe I am off the wall so to speak and I realize there is not enough room on the firewall for the Mega filter, but isn't there a safer location to put that big puppie?

Just some thoughts for consideration.

a bear
03-16-2003, 20:51
ChevyRus,
Fuel is pulled through the EDU by the LP pump for the purpose of cooling the EDU electronics only. Unfiltered fuel just passes through the EDU coils then to the OEM filter inlet. Only when going PRE OEM would the coil outlet hose need to be removed. ;)

56Nomad
03-16-2003, 22:35
ChevysRus,

If you were that unlucky to crash and then burn because Mega Filter
got cruched.....your valued insurance company would would pay
you for the actual cash value of your truck.
Regardless of any modifications.

The only way they could deny your claim would be if you intentionally
crashed your truck to see if you could make the Mega Filter explode
upon impact :D :D :D :D

jbplock
03-17-2003, 06:35
John,

"Future units will have an o-ring on the nipple"

Is the O-ring on the future units to seal the nipple to the filter head vs a tapered pipe thread on the pre-production unit? Also, Is there any reason I would ever want to remove the nipple?

Also, Tommy wrote "Fuel is pulled through the EDU by the LP pump

Kennedy
03-17-2003, 10:01
"Future units will have an oring on the nipple. Once tightened, they will not leak even w/o any oring/sealant, but I'm worried the nipple may back out with the filter..."

The threads and "seating ring will seal the nipple to the base, but just to make sure that the nipple remains tight, a little goop on the threads never hurts. The oring will do this for you on future units. If for some reason, there would ever be a filter thread change, it would be nice to unscrew the nipple...

a bear
03-17-2003, 11:31
JK,
I was thinking of using one of those small filtered coleman lantern funnels to fill the Mega filter on the dirty side via the small holes by slightly pushing down the anti drain back rubber seal. I don't think it will distort the seal and anyway the seal is not relevant for our application anyway. It would be real easy to do and the pump could be used for emergency use (on the road) What do you think? smile.gif

NWDmax
03-17-2003, 11:53
ABEAR:as often as we don't have to service the Mega filter why are you worrying about a little extra time?It really does not take long.
Just curious. :confused:

TraceF
03-17-2003, 12:31
&lt;&lt; What's the life expectancy of the filter installed post-oem? &gt;&gt;

&lt;&lt; TraceF:I believe JK's site says something about once a year given "normal" type driving.It shouldn't be very often considering the size of the thing! &gt;&gt;

&lt;&lt; ABEAR:as often as we don't have to service the Mega filter why are you worrying about a little extra time?It really does not take long. &gt;&gt;

I'm still wondering about life expectancy. This isn't proven. What's normal driving? 12,000 miles a year according to the typical insurance company. What about 36,000 like me? What about pulling a five and a half ton boat or a two and a half tons of car carrier and mud racer?

There is still a lot we don't know about these experiments at this point in time.

Kennedy
03-17-2003, 13:57
There will be no hard and fast rule here, as fuel quality/cleanliness varies so greatly. IF the factory unit does it's job relatively well, my unit, installed as a secondary should last a long time.

My projection is that when plumbed as a secondary unit, my filter should go last through 2-4 changes of the OE unit. The only way to know is to check restriction periodically, and observe the change in restriction when the OE unit is serviced...

a bear
03-17-2003, 14:17
NWDmax
Not really worried too much about the time. As you said it didn't take much time to fill the filter. Just trying to minimize the use of the hand pump so there would be no doubt it would be reliable when I need it. Like on the interstate, at a girlfriends house or trying to escape a bar with the girlfriends husband on my tail.(Just kidding) Seriously though I do my regular maintenance at home where it would be real easy to fill.(on the dirty side of coarse) :D :D

a bear
03-17-2003, 14:48
JK,
Where are you taking your fuel samples.

mtomac
03-17-2003, 20:46
john,

how long of a wait between ordering and shipping for a mega filter?

Kennedy
03-18-2003, 09:08
Looking like 2 weeks before next batch is in. I've been fairly conservative about my order placement, as there are so many here that are off on "tangents" and I haven't been too certain on volume, but from the responses so far, I'll be bumping up qty's and going from there...

NWDmax
03-18-2003, 09:38
You guys won't be disappointed with the Mega filter.I think the fenderwell placement is a safe place for it.
Built a little L shaped bracket to hold the fenderwell liner in tight.No more tire rubbing.Drilled a hole in the radiator support and used a stock plastic fastener to hold it to the bracket.
;)

a bear
03-18-2003, 13:36
I'm not sure why that little 1/4 -1/2 " deflection is a problem any way. You can't see the difference and if you four wheel that hard with oversized tires you'll probably be rubbing the drivers side also. :eek:

Maverick
03-18-2003, 16:10
John,
Are you gonna have stock at your shop? I'll stop in in May sometime and have you install one.

Kennedy
03-18-2003, 16:30
Maverick,

Yes, these will be stocked here. Plan on weekend or evening as I'm on the phone most of the day. Keep in mind that Friday and Saturday are Prime Rib night at the Palms if you like to eat!

jbplock
03-18-2003, 18:33
WOW!!!! … Just received my MegaFilter... It far exceeds my already high expectations by 1000%. Quality and Design is outstanding! :D :D :D

FirstDiesel
03-18-2003, 19:31
Yup

Just got home and found the filter waiting. The size of this thing is insane. Almost wonder how much it weighs with the fuel in it.

Kennedy
03-20-2003, 14:52
For those with tire clearance questions:

The filter canister ends approx 5.5" above the bottom edge of the wheel liner. This is approx 26.5" from the ground on my truck...

[ 03-20-2003: Message edited by: kennedy ]</p>

Budz
03-20-2003, 18:54
JK, please list the dimensions of your large 2 micron filter system. I'm considering instalation on the frame rail and need to know how far it will hang below the frame. Thanks

Kennedy
03-21-2003, 09:07
Budz,

It's just too tall to go there. The filter is approx 10.75" itself.

I should also add that a couple of washers between the mount (at the point) and the air box tray can move the filter element forward QUITE substantially if necessary...

[ 03-21-2003: Message edited by: kennedy ]</p>

Jim Cobler
03-21-2003, 18:42
What number Baldwin filter is used? I would like to look up the spec. sheet on the Baldwin web site.

Thanks,

Kennedy
03-21-2003, 19:19
This is the best tech detail on performance data I've seen. It's quite old though...

http://www.baldwinfilters.com/engineer/98_7.html

On a related note, I have done some "fanagling" and am pretty confident that with a little hole revision, I can get rid of any wheel liner deflection. I don't think it is much of a concern, even with 285's, but I now know it can be done...

Jim Cobler
03-21-2003, 20:04
John

It appears you are using a BF7587 filter and I looked at the site you listed. Does this filter contain a water separator? I did not see a drain value on the bottom of it.

Thanks,

jbplock
03-22-2003, 06:24
Jim,

The Baldwin (MegaFilter) P/N is BF7635. Go to http://www.baldwinfilters.com/catalog.html, click on “Product Guide”, and enter BF7635 for a description and dimensional specs.
smile.gif