PDA

View Full Version : oil sucking

norm
03-15-2004, 04:18
I seem to be blowing oil mainly under boost, the truck uses about a quart per 1000. I am wondering if I should pull the CDR (just replaced) and just put a breather on the cover, and cap the port in front of the turbo. Has anyone done this? Friend with "other brand" diesel says he has no CDR, crankcase just vents out.

eracers999
03-15-2004, 06:22
Norm;
I did this to mine. I left the cdr in place, pulled the small rubber elbow off the turbo inlet tube and the pipe from the cdr, plugged the hole in the boot to turbo, connected a piece of hose to the pipe and routed it out of the engine compartment.
The reasone i did this is because of the little bit of oil that was getting in to the intake at the turbo, to me, that is unacceptable.
It has a steady flow of blo by at idle (a light haze) if i hit the hi idle switch it is barely noticable. Doesent really have any oil worth mentioning coming from that blo by tube either.
I did this about 5000 mi ago and the truck has been worked hard. It has not developed any new leaks in fact it seems to leak less. It has always had a little leak up front (timing cover seal) but now i bareley notice any leak. I work with big diesels on a daily basis and they all have the blo by tubes routed in the same fachion. So mine will stay with this mod for i will also be assured that it will never run away on oil from the intake. This all comes from a supposed GM crate motor about 25k ago.
Hope this helps you out.
Kent

RLAM
03-16-2004, 09:54
I was debating doing just the opposit(I know, I can't spell worth a damn) My 6.5 is in a 97 trek motor home and ,at 18000 miles I have started to get quite a bit of blowby. I just replaced the injectors and had the pump timeing advanced.I also have installed a heath turbo master and have my boost set at 6lb. It runs well but the blowby is ugly. I was going to rout it pre turbo, but if this causes a problem, may be I will rout it into the exaust in down stream. What do you think ?

I also made my soot catcher and muffler go away and bill said he would re program my computer for a reasionable price. This is the plan for when my wife is not looking.

eracers999
03-16-2004, 10:17
That will work great, just install the proper check valve in the exh pipe. It will scavenge the crankcase nicely.
Kent

RLAM
03-16-2004, 13:57
Kent:
Thanks for the info and at some point I will do that. In checking with my local Diesel Dude
(Northland Diesel in Bellingham Wa) I found that the probable cause for the excessive blow by in an 18000 mile motor is most likley a scored cylinder wall, number 8 of course, and this will change my imeadiate plans. Lets see, someone out there offers 300hp plus. I wonder if my wife would understand that one. Does anyone have any experiance with the "Jasper" rebuilds ?
Also, if anyone in this area is looking for help, I have found Northland to be one of the best.I am not physically able to do the work myself so I suppose they will beat the hell out of me,But, I know they will do it right.

JohnC
03-18-2004, 10:26
I submit that a quart in 1000 miles is not unreasonable or unusual. I've had 3 Diesels over the years. The first was a Ford 7.3 NA. My father-in-law, a heavy Deisel engine operator, broke it in. It used a quart in about 1000 miles. The second was a '93 6.5 TD. I broke it in. It used a quart in about 1000 miles. The third is my '95 6.5 TD. I have no idea who broke it in. It spent its first 27K miles as a lease vehicle to a lanscaping firm. I suspect they had a dump kit on it and used it to haul gravel. Anyone care to venture a guess as to how much oil it uses?

(About a quart in 1000 miles...)

JoeyD
03-18-2004, 11:08
I am at 90,000 and it uses no oil, some do some don't