PDA

View Full Version : Finally busted 20 mpg.

esmo77
03-15-2003, 16:48
I installed a K&N air filter 3 tanks ago; first tank full I experienced a 2 mpg drop, 18.8 to 16.8. I thought this to be a little strange. The next fill up was at a station that advertises premium diesel and I gained to 19.2. Just for the heck of it I filled up at the cheaper station last fill up and yielded 20.7 mpg. For what ever the reason I am glad to reach the 20 mpg mark. I am thinking about starting to use an additive may be Power Service, I am at 10,000 miles as of today. Any comments on the additive will be appreciated. Thanks Wayne

SPICER
03-15-2003, 22:44
esmo77,

I did a little research and followed a few threads on the topic. I like Primrose from avlube.com. They have 405 and 409(winter). These seemed to be the best around. These both use emulsifiers for water contamination. There is a lot of debate(emulsifier vs. de-emulsifier) but I trust the experts who say emulsifier.

I also bought a Sta-Bil fuel stabilizer. DONT USE STABIL, throw it out, but keep the handy dispenser for the primrose or FPPF. The Primrose 405 treats 187 gallons with only 12 ounces. The Sta-bil dispenser makes measuring at fill-up a lot easier. SPICER

Tsckey
03-15-2003, 23:03
I've been using Redline Oil's 85 Plus diesel fuel additive for several thousand miles. It also has an emulsifier. Truck runs great. Seems to run a tad smoother than when I started using the stuff, but that could be the placebo effect, I suppose. I've only broken 20 mpg once, though yesterday I refueled after going to San Francisco and back and averaged 19.9. I suspect it was really closer to 21. I spent many, many miles in stop and go traffic, which doesn't do good things for fuel economy. On this trip I deliberately set the cruise at 2,000 rpm, just a bit above 65, most of the way, trying to extend the mileage. On other days doing the same trip with the same traffic, but going 75-80 I've gotten low 18s. Not bad.

TC

Piney
03-16-2003, 00:28
esmo77,

I can't tell you that you'll get better mileage with it, but I use Stanadyne Performance Formula from Diesel Injection Service, when I use an additive. Seems like I can tell a difference every time I put it in the tank.