PDA

View Full Version : Ticking noise is KILLING me... HELP before I go Postal!!!!!!!!!

Duramaxerado
03-15-2003, 17:20
I am ever so annoyed by this darn tick tick tick my NEW 03 cc sb 4x4 LT duramax is making. The truck now has 430 miles on it. The first time i started hearing the noise is a few hours after picking it up (under 100 miles).

I cant help but think about anything except for the ticking noise when driving it. I can hear it sometimes with my windows up.

What do I do short of making them take it back nad get me another truck or going postal? It is really driving me NUTS!!!

We picked up my dads new 03 CC LB 4x4 LT duramax today and his does not make the noise at all.

Mine steadely ticks and ticks.. wtf ?

I searched for info on this but never found where someone verified the exact source of the problem. Is my oil pressure low? Pressure at idle is 20 psi. On the road about 50 psi.

Other than the damn tick I am completely satisfied with the truck. Its one bad a$$ machine!!

PLEASE HELP before I stuff this max up my dealers bung. :mad:

Cant possibly see paying 40 grand for a truck that ticks.. :mad: :mad: :mad:

dmaxalliTech
03-15-2003, 17:31
Duramaxerado,, when is you tick noticed? is in louder in the left wheel well? noticable at idle? If it is, your gonna live with it, GM is aware of it and recomends no repair attempts. Noise usually goes away with mileage or at least gets quieter, mine does it. Sorry

TraceF
03-15-2003, 17:34
Try some vodka.

No, not in the engine. To calm your nerves.

:D

Duramaxerado
03-15-2003, 19:01
ok.. I took yer advice trace.. :D

Now that im drunk, i need to go run the **** out of my new max.. I either gotta make or break that dang noise. :D

hey dmaxallytech, yea the noise is definitely louder in the left wheel well and it sounds as if it is coming from the lower crank case on that side. The noise is somewhat spuratic and is consistant with engine rpm. PLEASE MAKE IT GO AWAY!!! :(

PLEASE GOD PLEASE!!!!

Have any of you noticed any changes while using different engine oil in the max?

FstTrack
03-15-2003, 19:17
My 02 just turned 30,000 and the tick is still there it may be a bit less or I just dont pay as much attention to it but just drive harder youll forget its even there

motovet
03-15-2003, 21:03
Mine only ticked when it was new,it was loud and annoying. At about 4,000 mi. I switched to synthetic 15w-40 and haven't heard it since.

DmaxMaverick
03-15-2003, 21:27
Duramaxerado

NOT the tick. You got something else going on.

The "tick" is a slight clicking sound that is similar to a manual typewriter. Not consistent with anything, comes and goes, and has no rythm. If your noise is consistent with engine RPM, it is not the infamous tick. If you can hear it from inside the truck off idle with the windows rolled up, it is not the tick. If you can hear it under load or acceleration, it is not the tick.

I wouldn't suggest the dealer/bung approach, but a visit is good idea. Don't suggest the tick to them. You will likely get kissed off.

Your problem sounds more like an injector knock or accessory noise. Could very likely be the PS pump, which is a more common issue.

Nixter
03-15-2003, 22:59
Mine has 1500 miles on it now and it ticks off and on. It was loudest at about 400 miles, but I could never hear it in the cab with the windows rolled up. It is random, and I have never tried to see if the frequency would increase with RPMs. I have changed the oil (Delo 15-40) with no change to that behaivior. The thing that struck me about Duramaxado's post was that he states his oil pressure at 20 idle to 50. The least I have ever seen mine idle is about 45. I have seen mine hit 80 for idle after starting in slightly below zero temps. I baby it until it starts to warm up, but I think I would peg the guage if just took off. Anyway it just seemed to me that 20-50 was low even for a warm engine.--Nick

redneckcowdoctor
03-16-2003, 06:04
DmaxMaverick is right. If the speed of your tick is rpm related and loud enough that you can hear it in the cab while driving it is not THE tick. You've got something else going on.

I've got 91,000 miles on mine and she still ticks. It's especially noticable after an oil change. It's not audible at anything much above idle rpm and certainly not from inside the cab. The manual typewriter is a great description.

Sounds like your going through a new version of the Chinese water . Hope you get relief. Jeff

ram/tx
03-16-2003, 09:21
Well now you guys have got me worried. I always thought it was the TICK, I get a loud knocking or diesel sound, as I call it, when ever I am in a hard pull, like pulling my boat, or even when I give the go pedel alot of push when I am not towing. It sort of sounds like the pliot injectors has kicked off but I am well below the rpm where it is suppose to kick off. Could this be an injector problem? The trucks runs and idles good and pulls good. Just has the loud knocking noise up accelaration. It only has 22,000 on it. Any idea, do I need to see the Stealer? :confused:

NWDmax
03-16-2003, 09:41
Dmaxerado:I'm with Nixter on the oil pressure concern.Even though the factory gauges may not be really accurate I do think they tell you if you are on the low or high side.Yours sounds to low imho.
The ticking is something I don't hear and feel as long as it doesn't hurt anything who cares?
My solution is get a 4" exhaust,put some miles on her and be happy! tongue.gif

FirstDiesel
03-16-2003, 09:57
I seem to remember that most people with 03's report their OPG reads quite a bit lower than the people with 01's and 02's.