PDA

View Full Version : Momentary loss of power when cold?

mguebert
07-01-2003, 09:17
The last couple of days when the truck has been started and driven for the first time, while it is still cold it hesitates as though the engine has died, no peddle response. This seems to occur until the motor has reached operating temp and then is fine for the rest of the day, the fuel filter was replaced 800 miles ago otherwise I might suspect a clogged filter. That also does not explain why the problem goes away for the rest of the day.

It figures I leave on a business trip and it does it to my wife on her way to work. Only this time it actually quit running. She was able to restart and finish her trip to work without any further problems.

The truck has 46K and regular filter changes. Any ideas?

akrockhound
07-01-2003, 14:05
I had a similar experience when my truck when I only had a few hundred miles on the original filter. It also was most noticable at start up and went away (almos) when the truck engine was warm.

A fuel filter change immediately fixed the problem.

The dealer wanted to flash the computer but I figured I'd drive it awhile and see if it got better or worse. It slowly got worse before I changed the fuel filter.

afp
07-01-2003, 16:05
I hear a bad batch of fuel can clog a fuel filter very quickly.

Blaine

CanadaKev
07-01-2003, 16:45
you might want to check the o-ring on the fuel filter just in case you didn't get a good seal.
could be sucking a little air.
Kev

mguebert
07-05-2003, 15:14
I changed the fuel filter again, second time in the last 1000 miles. It did seem to slightly help the problem, now instead of a near total loss of power it feels like a constant surge or bucking while cruising and acceleration. The truck also seems down on power. Arggggghhh!

hoot
07-07-2003, 08:18
Any news yet Mark?
Since the filter seems to have done something I'm wondering if the High Pressure pump is having problems.

mguebert
07-07-2003, 14:59
Yeah I took care of the problem, I got rid of the truck. I for one am not comforted by GM's track record when it comes to diesels. They have a way of denying a problem exists until it is so big they must do something.

It seems to me that there is an issue with the quality of the fuel filtration, that coupled with some problems being reported with 01 injectors leads me to wish GM would do something more to help out those people who are having problems.

I do not want to wait for my warranty to completely expire and then have an injector problem which would cost near $1000 to fix when the injectors should have been all replaced initially. I guess my argument is they should replace all of the injectors now but I know they ,won't, I was told as much by the SA at the dealership. They beleive the problem is one or more injectors allowing too much fuel to return to the tank.

Well anyway I now own a Dodge with the HO 5.9 and 48RE Tranny.

hoot
07-07-2003, 17:17
Congrats on the new truck Mark.
I hope GM gets the message and doesn't do a 6.5TD repeat cause if I continue to see people paying for injectors and head gaskets out of pocket, I'll be right behind you.

See you on TDR!