PDA

View Full Version : Got my Diesel just in time

DieselDixon
07-01-2003, 19:20
Well the nice thing about having a diesel in CA. is you don't have to smog it, luckily because as of today CA. just started a new smog program where they test the vehicle while it is on a dyno and they are saying it will cost between $80 and $150 to get a smog now. Phwee

OC_DMAX
07-01-2003, 19:39
Is this a "diesel" smog test you are refering to or is it for gas engines? (Hope not for diesel!)

Gas engines have been run on a dyno for more than five years now. Usually they don't require the test on new vehicles for the first 4 years.

DieselDixon
07-01-2003, 19:58
No, only on the gas motors. Yeah, they said that they have been doing this test for 5 years in So. CA. but they just started it 7/1/03 in No. CA.

OC_DMAX
07-01-2003, 20:15
Sorry to hear about the No. Cal thing.

Where it really gets bad is if you fail the first test. Then you have to have the vehicle retested at a "State" run facility instead of a private business. Best thing is to just get a new car every 5 years, that way you bypass it all together.

4x4man
07-02-2003, 06:38
Wow $80-150??!! :eek:
Here in Aurora, CO, it is only $24.95 for the dyno emission test.

Nothing like scalping people... sheeszzz :rolleyes:

Bob

SparkyTX
07-02-2003, 14:15
I had to "get a new address" in another county here in Texas recently when my Jimmy was due for inspection. Even if I wanted it to go through the new smog/dyno test, I couldn't find anywhere that woudl test a rig with 42" tires!

Colorado Kid
07-02-2003, 16:46
My buddy had his jeep here at work the other day because he needed to get it E-tested on the way home. They won't run bigger than 31" tires on the Dyno and his jeep sure did look strange with 11" of lift, 29" tires and a 37" spare! :D

A significant advantage of living in the sticks is that I don't have to have my vehicles smog checked, although I believe they would all pass.