PDA

View Full Version : Performance----Kenndy

JD Diesel
08-20-2005, 14:26
So tell me what is in your opt the best performance enhanser for the lly. Or should I wait tell some one has a better handle on the lly. Before I buy one. I did like what banks was offering but here are not to many people that like them. If there not that good tell me what is. :D thanks JD :D

Kennedy
08-21-2005, 04:55
Edge EZ or Juice is my favorite module, while the Diablo Predator has been my favorite tuner. Depends a lot on your needs.

bobo
08-21-2005, 19:35
My favorite right now is the Juice w/ Attitude. Adjustable on the fly and the readouts are awesome. I don't know how I drove my truck without it.

JD Diesel
08-22-2005, 16:28
Hay Bob O Please explane some of your mods. Like Cat Delete and egr plate. Thanks JD :D

mjammer
08-24-2005, 04:47
Originally posted by kennedy:
Edge EZ or Juice is my favorite module, while the Diablo Predator has been my favorite tuner. Depends a lot on your needs. What are the pro's/con's of a module over a tuner, particularly between the EZ vs Predator?

Kennedy
08-24-2005, 08:34
Modules are simply plugged inand removed, plus have switch on the fly capabilities along with the ability to withdraw their added fuel if the trans slips.

Tuners can provide tire size and speed limiter correction along with code reading and erasing. The Predator goes one step further by streaming real time data from the ECM.

tennykimble
08-24-2005, 14:54
hey bob o LOVE the burn out pics!!! awsome!!! :D

bobo
08-26-2005, 04:41
Originally posted by JD Diesel:
Hay Bob O Please explane some of your mods. Like Cat Delete and egr plate. Thanks JD :D A cat delete pipe runs from the turbo down pipe back to the flange where the cat back exhaust used to bolt to the cat pipe. It is a direct replacement for the cat pipe. 4" w/ no bends. It helps lower egt's and is for off road use only (illegal to run on the street since the truck came from the factory w/ a cat). The EGR blocker plate is used to keep the EGR from recycling the exhaust gas. I used it to keep soot out of my intake. It helps turbo spool up a bit sooner too.

REDTRUCK05
08-29-2005, 13:23
With the Diablo Predator, Does the correction as far as tire size actually change the computer and make the dic and speedo more acurate? I think the way I would like to go is with the Predator and the bullydog outlook to watch boost and temps. Does this sound like a good combo?

Kennedy
08-30-2005, 05:30
The Predator will throw the DIC calculations off and cannot be corrected. The Edge is more demand based and I have seen pretty accurate DIC readings (actually dead on) when running the truck empty in decent conditions.

As far as I am concerned, Diablo and Edge are the best choices for the Dmax LLY.

REDTRUCK05
08-30-2005, 15:30
The Predator will throw the DIC calculations off and cannot be corrected. The Edge is more demand based and I have seen pretty accurate DIC readings (actually dead on) when running the truck empty in decent conditions.

As far as I am concerned, Diablo and Edge are the best choices for the Dmax LLY. What does the Tire correction function with the predtor do then? Also have you see the bully dog outlook monitoring system? it is a monitor only and does exaust, coolant, boost and a bunch of other feature all in one little panel like the attitude for the edge, but it can be used alone or with any other system. I attaches neatly right under your rear view mirror to the mirror mount.

Kennedy
08-31-2005, 04:42
Tire correction does speed function, but what throws the calculation off because it is adding fuel that the computer does not see.

xwing
08-31-2005, 08:59
Mr. Kennedy:
Does the Diablo Predator remove the speed limiter on 2001 Duramax/Allisons?
And, will it work well along with an Edge Hot Juice (say using Edge for most of the HP but the Predator for limiter removal)?

Kennedy
08-31-2005, 10:56
If memory serves, the LB7 Pred can increase the top speed above the factory limit, but not as high as the 2002+ trucks

DmaxMaverick
08-31-2005, 13:39
The LB7 Predator offers speed increase in 3 increments. 95, 100, 110. On 110, it doesn't stop at 110. It will go all the way to governor, which is well past 110 with 33" tires.

.........Uhhhh....so I've heard...

REDTRUCK05
08-31-2005, 21:38
If I was to install Diablo Predator at level 3 (100hp I think) WITH GAUGES would it be ok to pull? It says not to pull with that setting, but if you could watch your temps would it be ok?

DmaxMaverick
09-01-2005, 02:13
Originally posted by REDTRUCK05:
If I was to install Diablo Predator at level 3 (100hp I think) WITH GAUGES would it be ok to pull? It says not to pull with that setting, but if you could watch your temps would it be ok? Uhhh...No...

Unless you like your tranny well done...Then redone. At your expense.

Stay within the recommendations with any mod, until you get the rest of the powertrain up to the same standard.

Kennedy
09-01-2005, 06:28
As you approach 85-90 additional HP you nearthe limitations of the stock Allison. I'll also point out that while some mfrs claim tow safe in all levels, this may well be true, but they are not making much power in the upper levels. One of these "tow safe" units only ran in the neighborhood of the level 1 Edge...

mjammer
09-01-2005, 08:40
Decisions, decisions. Of course, which is easier to get past the wife without her knowledge ;)

DmaxMaverick
09-01-2005, 09:05
Originally posted by mjammer:
Decisions, decisions. Of course, which is easier to get past the wife without her knowledge ;) That's an easy one. As long as she feels she needs it, you'll get it. Don't hide anything. Make it so obvious she won't have any questions to ask. Works for me.

Examples:

She wanted a new RV. We go shopping and I give her limits (weight, length, etc.) I set to fit the truck, maintenance, mileage, convenience, etc. The 5'er she finds, and becomes dead-set on breaks all the rules. "Well, dear, that puts the truck right up to the limit. Gotta make some modifications to ensure safety and durability...." No problem. She got her RV, truck got the mod's. Fair trade, in my book.

Right now, mileage is a real big lever. You can't overlook the price of fuel, and most mod's you do will have the potential to increase your mileage. The downside, I've found, is just about anything you do to make your truck more enjoyable to drive, will generally reduce your mileage. I tend to drive more, and more robust. When the newness wears off, you should be up in mileage. Another drawback, is she wants to drive it more, too.

YMMV. Honesty is usually the best policy. If you're a cat, and get caught with a canary, there's only one good answer. "I'm a cat. That's what cat's do. You new I was a cat when you picked me."

Blatant honesty works much better than dishonesty, and you don't have to remember what you said.

mjammer
09-01-2005, 19:23
Dmax - I too have been married long enough to know better than to try and pull a fast one by. If I could justify it on mileage with a reasonable assurance I'd keep my foot out of it, I am sure she would OK it there alone.

REDTRUCK05
09-06-2005, 12:14
I programmed a Diablo Predator into my truck on the Friday before Labor day and Pulled my 7500# Travel trailer roughly 175 miles. There is 45, 65, 85 an extreme tune which I think is 110 extra hp. I tuned to the 65 setting ( good to 8000# ) Was fairly satisfied except for the extreme black smoke. I have traveled this road twice with this truck before (55mph and hills) Lots of power! Lots of smoke! Got to the campground and later wanted to play unloaded with the extreme setting. I noticed NOTHING DIFFERENT! Except even more smoke. Returning it for the Edge. Noticed very little improvement in "spool up time" on either setting. Will I with the edge?

Thanks for the input...

Paul

DmaxMaverick
09-06-2005, 12:35
Originally posted by REDTRUCK05:
I programmed a Diablo Predator into my truck on the Friday before Labor day and Pulled my 7500# Travel trailer roughly 175 miles. There is 45, 65, 85 an extreme tune which I think is 110 extra hp. I tuned to the 65 setting ( good to 8000# ) Was fairly satisfied except for the extreme black smoke. I have traveled this road twice with this truck before (55mph and hills) Lots of power! Lots of smoke! Got to the campground and later wanted to play unloaded with the extreme setting. I noticed NOTHING DIFFERENT! Except even more smoke. Returning it for the Edge. Noticed very little improvement in "spool up time" on either setting. Will I with the edge?

Thanks for the input...

Paul Stock tranny?

If so, any setting over 65 with the Predator (or any programmer that doesn't disable defueling) won't make a difference, except with the fuel gage. The engine will defuel to protect the tranny. That, and the stock torque converter will soak up the rest. You shouldn't have very little smoke, if any, on the 65 setting. Also, it takes time for the adaptive learn cycle of the TCM to get used to the power. Dropping the trailer after a long haul will take some time, as well.

Kennedy
09-06-2005, 12:39
What does your selling dealer has to say about the products?

Glad I could help...

REDTRUCK05
09-06-2005, 14:03
Yes I have a stock tranny. I did notice that the tranny seemed confused and there was alot of slippage at the shift points when accelerating hard. Does the Edge Juice for the 05 LLY "defuel" at shiftpoints?

More Power
09-06-2005, 14:18
True story... I took a call this morning from a nice lady who told me that she and her husband recently bought a used 2003 3500 Duramax. The dealership :eek: had installed a high level performance program for them, and said it was fine to tow with.

Long story short, the tranny limped several times on a recent trip with an 8K trailer, and now won't hold the power. Unhappy truck owners.... Dealership told them "Allison transmissions had clutch problems". Shifting blame... redface.gif

I told her that when running with stock power, the Allison is nearly bullet-proof, but it has a limit to what it can handle above stock. I continued that most power product manufacturers recommend towing with the lower levels, and reserve the higher levels for when running solo.

I hope she gets her truck fixed.....

Jim

Kennedy
09-06-2005, 14:55
I coulda swore i made a recommendation on the phone the other day...

REDTRUCK05
09-06-2005, 16:03
I coulda swore i made a recommendation on the phone the other day... Too who and about What?

bobo
09-06-2005, 16:39
Originally posted by JD Diesel:
Hay Bob O Please explane some of your mods. Like Cat Delete and egr plate. Thanks JD :D Cat delete pipe is 4" 409 ss straight through design made by MBRP and bolts to the factory turbo pipe and the factory flange by the factory muffler. It is an easy install and works great on my truck. It lowers egt's a little and helps the turbo spool faster. The egr plate blocks off the egr on my truck. This keeps the intake from filling up w/ soot when running high hp programs. It is also supposed to help the turbo spool a bit sooner. Some CA trucks throw codes w/ the cat delete pipe. My truck don't. My truck throws a code for the egr plate. The code don't hurt anything and I can clear it w/ my Predator. The new Predator v 2.02LLY is supposed to have a egr option to keep the engine codes from getting set w/ egr plate installed. I am having my Predator updated as we speak. Hope this helps.

REDTRUCK05
09-06-2005, 20:08
Originally posted by Bob O:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by JD Diesel:
Hay Bob O Please explane some of your mods. Like Cat Delete and egr plate. Thanks JD :D Cat delete pipe is 4" 409 ss straight through design made by MBRP and bolts to the factory turbo pipe and the factory flange by the factory muffler. It is an easy install and works great on my truck. It lowers egt's a little and helps the turbo spool faster. The egr plate blocks off the egr on my truck. This keeps the intake from filling up w/ soot when running high hp programs. It is also supposed to help the turbo spool a bit sooner. Some CA trucks throw codes w/ the cat delete pipe. My truck don't. My truck throws a code for the egr plate. The code don't hurt anything and I can clear it w/ my Predator. The new Predator v 2.02LLY is supposed to have a egr option to keep the engine codes from getting set w/ egr plate installed. I am having my Predator updated as we speak. Hope this helps. </font>[/QUOTE]Great info! Thanks. Why did you go with the Predator over other options? Did you have the same soot out the exaust as I did?

DmaxMaverick
09-07-2005, 06:51
REDTRUCK05

If you are having issues with your aftermarket equipment, I suggest you contact your retailer. Your use of the programmer doesn't seem to be what you expected, and you should excercise your warranty if you aren't happy with its performance.

Kennedy
09-07-2005, 06:59
2.02 is a beta firmware update that is not necessarily a final edition. Every phone conversation that I have regarding LLY performance and the Predator I mention that the current edition is schedules for refinement...

A few posts back I mentioned power limitations on the stock trans...

jjackson
09-07-2005, 07:02
I've towed my 13K 5th wheel over 6,000 miles in the past 4 months using the Quadzilla tuner and have realized very good results. I've ran it on level 2 (50hp) and level 3 (70hp) and immediately went from an average of 9.5 mpg (stock) to between 11.5 and 12. On the 70hp setting I ran about 100 - 150 higher egt's. No smoke, highest tranny temps was around 190 in northern Georgia/southern Tenn. in the mountains on I-75 with outside temps in the high 90's.

John

blue
09-07-2005, 14:37
I have an Edge Juice from Kennedy Diesel, which he later upgraded to Hot Juice; I leave on level 4 all the time. This, along with only other mod a dropin K&N filter, got my 2001 Sierra 2500HD D/A ExCab Longbed to quartermile 14.1@ 92.5mph.

I just got (Sept. 2005) a brand new Diablo Predator from Kennedy, to remove the speed limit on my 2001 truck, which ONLY the Predator does for 2001's (from what I can see).

Edge on level 4 seems to max EGT out at like 1150, might have gotten to 1200 if left it go to like 97mph, but was clearly stabilizing at 1150-1175 or so. I removed the Edge box and installed the Predator:

Diablo Predator on max level 4 "120hp tune" shot EGT like a rocket up and up, went over 1400 with little sign of slowing really so I let off. They say it is NOT to be used for daily driving etc.
Weird though, the Predator didn't really feel stronger than the Edge, matter of fact it may have felt faintly slower overall, but no back-to-back quartermile mph's to prove it, and trans slip issues may muddy things; still, the EGT difference was at least 250F and climbing.

I then removed Edge, installed Predator on minimum 40hp tune with speedlimiter maxxed to 110mph, and reinstalled the Hot Juice level 4 after Predator was all programmed; it now maxxes EGT at about 1200 (50F higher than Hot Juice alone) and seems ok so far.

In this comparison, I have an aftermarket 4" exhaust, along with my K&N dropin filter (haven't been to track with the aftermarket exhaust, it doesn't feel faster to me with exhaust...probably a combination of trans protection kicking in, and maybe 1-2mph difference in quartermile, and my not trusting butt dyno much).

Reading all the code stuff and engine data on Predator is neat/potentially useful, and the speed limit removal is great; but for max performance in my case I prefer the Hot Juice's tune. I am hoping the Predator on minimum 40hp tune + speedlimit=110, plus Hot Juice Level 4, will give me the best of both worlds; otherwise will try backing Edge down to level 3
Your Results May Vary smile.gif these were mine, and note they are initial impressions but on back to back installations.

[ 09-08-2005, 04:30 PM: Message edited by: blue ]

bobo
09-08-2005, 15:39
Predator is a great bang for the buck. Don't get confused when LB7 people talk about their programms compared to the LLY programs. They are two different animals. Edge don't and might never make a hot juice for the LLY. The Predator on 100hp was putting down somewhere above 400 rwhp on many trucks. That is about 150hp over stock. I think the Predator is the best downloader program for the LLY. It clears DTC's,has a real time data readout, speedo calibration for tires and gears, awesome no gauges needed 40hp tow tune, and a lot of power on the higher tunes. You can also unprogram it from the truck and use it on other 04.5-05 LLY trucks. The LB7 version had to be sent in to do this. The LLY Predator can clear DTC's and do readouts on other 01-05 Duramax trucks even while it is programmed into your truck. It is an awesome deal and you will use it no matter what you do to your truck in the future. Some people think it runs too hot, but I don't see a problem with it. The new versions are supposed to correct the hot issues. The only thing I don't like is pulling 3 fuses to change tunes. Kennedy sells them on his website :cool: .

david
09-08-2005, 21:24
That's funny,
I don't pull the fuses to change the tune !!
Only when you FIRST install it do you pull the fuses. :eek:
David

bobo
09-11-2005, 15:00
Originally posted by david:
That's funny,
I don't pull the fuses to change the tune !!
Only when you FIRST install it do you pull the fuses. :eek:
David Are you buying an ECM for all who fry theirs doing this your way? Predator directions state to pull the fuses(if you read them). Good luck with your shortcut. I'll pull the fuse every time to be safe (like the directions say)!! It's better to be safe than sorry.