PDA

View Full Version : Are High-pops worth the extra $$$?

Cowracer
03-15-2004, 06:03
The next step in the master plan on my truck is new injectors. Still on the factory injectors at 180K and as you can guess, they are probably junk.

I am thinking about getting high-pop/high-flow/high-performance (use your own term here) but I am wondering if they are really worth the cost.

If you have installed them lately and lived with them for a while, I'd like to hear your opinions. I searched the forums. It seems like most people have good results and claim more power, but, I think that even new stock injectors would give me a noticable increase in power.

Thanks for the feedback!

Tim

patrick m.
03-15-2004, 15:45
i put the high pops in my truck, starts better, sounds better, more power......maybe a little.
i too have 180k miles, hated to put stock injectors in, i was going to have to buy some anyway. ;)

KingNuzz
03-15-2004, 15:47
How have the high pops affected fuel mileage?

Dvldog 8793
03-15-2004, 19:07
I have the high-pops from JK. They seemed to make a differance. But like was said, maybe new stock injectors would have been as good??? :confused:
I know my tuck starts better, seems to have more of a CRACK :D when you tap the go pedal, I haven't noticed a change in mileage. I got about 500miles to a tank before and I get about the same now. It does seem to have a little more snort when pulling a load.
I have heard that the HP injectors will make an old pump bad and a new pump get old :mad:
Oh Well.
L8r
Conley

TurboDiverArt
03-16-2004, 06:06
Don't know for sure about the hi-pop injectors vs. stock replacements when your old ones are worn. I believe I had read on here a bunch of times that when you get that high on the mileage that changing the timing chain restore lost power. I think you can compensate for it a little by bumping the fuel timing but there is no substitute for a new timing chain. Something to think about if you still has the stock one. Seems mixed reviews on a gear set. Most say that going with a gear drive vs. timing chain will give you more crispness and allow for different fuel timing which I assume adds some level of power and response. I read at least one article listing crank durability issues when installing a gear set but I don

patrick m.
03-16-2004, 15:29
i replaced my t-chain at 180k miles or so.
my fuel milage hasnt changed, i allways get between 13 and 18mpg
(i cant keep my foot out of it ;) )

TurboDiverArt
03-16-2004, 18:10
Originally posted by Patrick m.:
i replaced my t-chain at 180k miles or so.
my fuel milage hasnt changed, i allways get between 13 and 18mpg
(i cant keep my foot out of it ;) ) Well, kind of tough to tell if your mileage changed when you keep blowing people away! I think around town it's tough to get consistent mileage. Seems that as the weather gets warmer you want to nail it more. I drive 35 miles each way to work with cruise control so my mileage is very consistent. I'm now trying to see what the difference is between 70 MPH and 65 MPH (don