PDA

View Full Version : change oil?

TN farmer
12-08-2002, 20:49
I have changed the oil twice and I currently have 8,500 mi on my truck. I was going to wait and see when the light on the dash told me to change my oil but it never has come on. Do you have to activate this or did I affect something by installing my juice at 6,500 miles. Can I depend on the computer or do I need to record it the old way?

Idle_Chatter
12-08-2002, 21:04
The Juice setting procedure is the same procedure that "resets" your change oil light (key on, three strokes on the go pedal) - so you have essentially zeroed your oil change indicator the last time you programmed your juice. If you don't do the three-step, the change oil light will start to come on (at startup) somewhere between 7,500 and 8,000 miles between resets. Some people claim that it's a hard 7,500, while others say that the PCM calculates the interval on time/speed/temps and whatnot. Mine seemed to like 7,800 for some reason, so I think it can vary by driving style. I just change at every 7,500 miles by the odo now and don't worry about the light.

TN farmer
12-08-2002, 21:44
I changed my cummins at every 5,000 mi, is this overkill for the Dmax? Over 7,000 mi sounds good to me if that is what everyone recomends, and would this still be often enough for dusty conditions?

Thanks

RichBailey
12-08-2002, 21:59
I would never depend on any manufacturer's system for oil interval changes.

I change engine oil at 1k, 3k, 5k, and every 5k thereafter. Also do engine oil analysis at every change until the engine wear metals are stabilized, usually about 15-20k.

Oil and filters are cheap, engines are expensive. Changing oil & filter every 5k is easy to remember.

mackin
12-09-2002, 07:02
TN farmer

My opinion,I would stick to what the manufacture recommends,for oil change intervals......Don't wait for reminder lights......

MAC

[ 12-09-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

Idle_Chatter
12-09-2002, 20:24
TN Farmer, the manufacturer's recommended interval is 7,500. I did early changes during breakin to get assembly and wear junk out, but have been on a steady 7,500 interval with excellent oil analyses. Works for me.

Kennedy
12-09-2002, 22:59
If you run a box, I'd suggest dropping the intervals back just to be safe. Soot can accumulate in large globules that conventional analysis looks right through.

TN farmer
12-09-2002, 23:17
Thanks JK,

I will more than likely stay with the 5,000 mi interval. It is very easy to remember and also works good with rotating the tires.

ChevysRus
12-10-2002, 18:07
I might be wrong (I have bene wrong before on occassion), but I understood the computerized oil wear system (light telling you to change the oil) is based on engine revolutions and not mileage!

I know this is the case in my Buick LeSabre with the computer showing percentages of oil life left. While the Dmax does not have this computer, I thought all of the new systems were based on engine revolutions rather than mileage. There is a correlation between mileage and revolutions, but in cases where guys leave the truck running to keep it warm or remote start it so it can warm up, it would seem that engine revolutions would be a more realistic method of calculating engine oil life.

Anyone know for sure if this applies to the DMAX as it does to other GM cars and trucks (gassers)?

Kennedy
12-10-2002, 18:47
I changed oil for a buddy on his 8.1 and set the life remaining to 75% to make sure it came on plenty early...