PDA

View Full Version : Buying an '06 Duramax, need some advice...

kazuaki
08-22-2005, 09:15
I am in the market for an '06 Chevy 2500HD CC LWB 4x4. I understand the '06 is out now with the LLY and 6 spd Allison. I also understand that the LBZ will be out in a few months. I am not all that concerned about giving up the 50HP that the LBZ offers, as I will definitely be running some sort of programmer on the truck to get added performance.

Here's my issue...the '06 LLY is a combo that will only be produced for 2-3 months. I'm sure it's computer is different from the '05, since the tranny has changed. So, will any aftermarket companies (like Edge) be willing to offer products for it? If I buy a truck now, will I be stuck leaving it stock? It is a major concern to me.

I know one possible answer is to wait for the LBZ as it will surely get aftermarket support. However , I doubt the smoking deals Chevy is offering now will carry over to the LBZ-equipped trucks. Plus, there is always the worries of having a first-year motor combo.

I am new to the diesel truck world and would greatly appreciate any advice you guys can send my way. Thanks!

More Power
08-22-2005, 12:35
Personally, I'd wait unless the price differential was too great. As far as I know, the employee pricing only works for existing 05 inventory.

It's possible the LLY (all model years) will be left further and further behind by the aftermarket.

Jim

kazuaki
08-22-2005, 13:36
I'm not yet sure how much the price difference will be. I was quoted $2500 under invoice ($500 under - $2000 incentive) if I special order an '06 now. I'm not worried about having tons of aftermarket stuff, just an exhaust and programmer (preferrably Edge with Attitude). I'm trying to find out what type of deal I can get if I wait for the LBZ, but it will be tough to get anyone to commit I know.

kazuaki
08-22-2005, 17:20
Any other advice or opinions?

Skynut
08-26-2005, 10:04
I am having the same dilema, I can get an 06 LLY in about a week or order an 06 LBZ and wait 2 or 3 months.
I also do not know what to do.
I am more worried about the fuel economy of the new motor vs. the old one.
No one knows how the new motor will preform or how long it will be in the trucks.
I guess I have a week to figure it out.

More Power
08-26-2005, 10:24
It remains to be seen how the new six-speed Allison will affect fuel economy - with its double OD. I suspect it'll be better due to the lower torque peak of the engine and lower highway engine rpms. Assuming people can drive it "for fuel economy". :D

Jim

kazuaki
08-26-2005, 11:55
I've made the decision to wait for the LBZ. If I don't, I know I will regret it. Then I will have the latest and greatest and there will most likely be programmers available in the near future.

mark45678
08-28-2005, 03:14
we are both in the same boat... I have a 04.5 lly truck with 60K on it now, I am not really happy with the truck (wished I still had my 01 lb7). I think with all the small problems I have I will wait for the lbz to come out and see what changes have been made.the 6 speed should prove to add a few MPG , the truck with 3:73 rear empty just turns to many RPM's on the high way at 75 mph.

Diesel Dan
08-28-2005, 04:09
Seem my first '06 on the lot yesterday. Had 310HP/605TQ and 6 sp Allison. Are those the #s for the LLY?

madmatt
08-28-2005, 16:48
yep!