PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Filter questions

Doc Robbs
03-16-2003, 13:06
I've got two questions really and was hoping you guys could help me out.

1) For those who have added fuel tanks plumbed in
(ccds I think did this) does the return go back to the original tank? Or better yet how can or did you get it to go to the extra tank?

I've also got a problem that I would like to fix. I use my farm tank for filling the tractor and gator and would like to use it to fill my trucks (New truck soon, Yukon XL-when the DMax is out). The problem is that this is not always been the cleanest fuel. I've been replacing filters of the end units frequently but would like to get one on the pump. I can't find a good solution. The pump is an old surplus gas station pump so I thought it would be easy to put one in at the hose that comes off. Best filter I could find was only 15 microns rated.

Anybody got any good solutions?

Thanks
Doc Robbs

[ 03-16-2003: Message edited by: Doc Robbs ]</p>

george morrison
03-16-2003, 14:31
That is a problem in that there are no commercially available 1 or 2 micron absolute (Beta 200 or better) filters on the market for use on fuel dispensers on above ground storage tanks. The Cimteks, etc. are only a nominal 10 micron, at best. My ISO actually went UP one number when I installed a "10 micron nominal" Cimtek on my 1,000 gallon tank!
I have been working with a filter manufacturer for the past 6 months and *many* iterations to come up with a fully synthetic microglass filer capable of handling the flow rates for fuel dispensers. We currently have operational prototypes that are achieving 14/12/8 level cleanliness from 19/17/15 raw fuel. We should have commercial versions available in the next weeks. I will keep this site posted; they will be available on our website www.avlube.com the minute they are ready for end users. The filters are along the same philosophy as Mr. Kennedy's in that the filter will be "a man to do a boy's job". The filter medium is a depth type 100% synthetic/micro-glass construction and will last 4 to 5 times longer than a comparative 10 micron nominal cellulose filter. Plus, the filter will not be affected by sub-freezing temps as cellulose filters are. The filter base will have a pressure gauge to reflect approaching fill, etc. No word yet on costs, but again, will post here. The goal is to have a reasonably priced 14/12/10 level cleanliness for use on fuel dispensers with up to 60 gpm flow rates.
And yes, I have been putting 14/12/8 26 ppm water into my Duramax for the past 5 months now... What a wonderful feeling it is to *know* absolutely that you have super clean, dry fuel going IN my Duramax Tank...
George Morrison, STLE CLS

[ 03-16-2003: Message edited by: george morrison ]</p>

pinehill
03-16-2003, 14:47
Hi Doc, and welcome to the Diesel Page!

I don't think that you would want the fuel return to go to the auxiliary tank if the feed to the engine comes from the OE tank (stock condition). At high RPM, low load conditions the return will flow a significant amount of fuel, and, unless the aux. is set up to automatically pump to the OE tank when the aux. hits a certain level, you could overfill the aux.

The Transfer Flow brand tank that I have is set up so that the %fill of both tanks is automatically maintained at about the same level, and the return remains to the OE tank. Works great. Check out: http://www.transferflow.com

I'm not knowledgeable about bulk tank filtering, but I would think that fine filters on these tanks would need to be physically VERY large.

LanduytG
03-16-2003, 15:00
The aux tanks that I have seen instaled have a 3 way valve. Which ever tank is online the fuel is returned to that tank. You would not want it any other way.

Greg

Idle_Chatter
03-17-2003, 09:25
My American Tank aux tank has a frame-mounted valve that switches supply and recirc to the selected tank as well as sending the level signal from the selected tank to the factory fuel gauge.

Doc Robbs
03-17-2003, 10:49
Thanks for the input.

George, I'll be watching for info pretty closely. Until then I'l probably install a filter the local hardware has even though it's only rated to 15 microns.

I didn't think it was very good as the whole thing is about $25.

Doc Robbs