PDA

View Full Version : Donaldson muffler

volcano4x4
03-16-2003, 17:23
Have been checking 4' exhaust systems...does anyone had knowledge about Donaldson mufflers ???? Would appreciated any info. Thanks !

B. Roe

YZF1R
03-16-2003, 17:58
Donaldson are popular OE mufflers on class 8 trucks. They are light in weight compared to others, cheaper to buy, but don't last as long. I used Stemco straight through mufflers on my Pete. Cost about 30% more, but heavy and never had to replace one. A couple of my O/O friends used to punch out the diverter (disk) that was half way down the Donaldson to make it straight through. To me it did not sound good at all. The Jake brake was very raspy and annoyingly loud. The Stemco had a very throaty sound to it, along with low back pressure.

In 1996 Stemco sold there exhaust division to Walker. I couldn't tell you if they are still made the same, or have the same muffler available. When I bought mine, I picked them out of a very thick Stemco muffler book I have. There were a multitude of shapes and designs to choose from. Inlet, outlet diameters, position of such, length, muffler diameter and or shape, etc.

Now, having said all that, Donaldson may very well make a premium muffler I was not aware of. Look through the muffler catalogs down at your local class 8 truck dealer and see if you find anything that you might like to try.

Steve