PDA

View Full Version : Block heater wire IS long enough, barely...

Smoke chopper
12-09-2002, 01:37
Ok, so I routed the block heater wire as direct as possible to the outside and it is long enough by MAYBE 1/2 inch to squeeze out under the hood right beside the headlight. Hmmm, what would another 2 inches of wire cost? But hey, coming from a 2000 Dodge diesel, who am I to complain??? I wuv my '03 Chevy, even if all my friends say the 6.0 PSD renders my engine the "Dura-dead". :cool: Some have even threatened the white coats for abandoning the Cummins. They say I've lost my mind. I say I gained ride, power, drivability, GVWR, 1 whole gear with the allison, common rail injection, and the list goes on. Oh yeah, I did lose one thing......... about 40 decibels.

REC06
12-09-2002, 01:59
somoke chopper,

slit the wire loom, pull the heater cord down towards the frame and run out to the tow hook, some zips ties and your done.

I got this from an earlier post, very easy and now very easy to plug in.

welcom to the "other side" I sold my dodge (only bought it due to finances at the tim) and am very happy with my d-max

All-tuned-up
12-09-2002, 13:18
Anybody tell me where the hell the cord is located, picked up mine about a month ago (used) but like new, can't see the cord for the heater, I would imagine it came with one.

Please help, thank you. :D

rtquig
12-09-2002, 14:00
All tuned up
Look on the passenger side almost on the frame. It is well hidden and held with a wire tie. You will have to pull the wire past the tie down to get it out the front bumper. I just bought an outside 15 amp timer from Ace Hardware for about $17.99, and a 50' 15 amp cord to plug it in with. I set it for 4:00 A:M, and by 8:00 it starts up as soon as I turn the key, really works great.

XTOCAK
12-09-2002, 16:25
Mine was hidden behind the left battery (as your looking under the hood). I too split the wire loom and brought it out by the two hook....perfect.

As for the move from the Dodge, I too am a convert from an '02 Ram to my '02 Duramax - wouldn't, couldn't, won't ever go back as I like my hearing too much. Was losing it in the Dodge - and that's verified as my employer requires annual hearing checks. Saw the loss during the year I bought my Cummins....good riddance.

Penngrovian
12-09-2002, 18:18
Don't laugh but is there a difference between the engine block heater and the coolant heater which is mentioned in the owner's manual?

mackin
12-09-2002, 18:41
Penngrovian

If your talking about what CAME stock in the truck ,they are one and the same.....End result is a faster warm up on nippy mournings......

MAC

hdmax(mike)
12-09-2002, 18:49
Take the passenger head light out, and pull the plug out the lower edge then replace the head light. There is atleast 4" extra that way. ;)

FisHn2DMax
12-10-2002, 03:40
I too have just discovered my Block heater cord was very short. I have a few questions on the use of the Block heater:

How much power does the heater require in wattage?

At what temps is it suggested that you "plug in'?

How long do you need to run the heater to make a difference in starting?

Is there any other benefits to using the block heater other than helping it start faster?

Just asking because It's getting cold ( Low teen s) here in Utah mountains, and I'm new to the DuraMax.

Thanks

smile.gif

polaris800
12-10-2002, 09:32
This another example of GM being CHEAP and not making the heater cord that you plug in long enough. I made a 2 foot extention to plug it in putting it trough the top of the bumper. It does work great when you use it! On the 2003 GM decided to be cheap again and not supply a under the hood light either. This is a $30.00 dollar part that had always been put on in the past. So now you have to buy one install it run the wires. Just enough to **** you off. What's GM thinking!! It just chaps my a--

DonG
12-10-2002, 16:00
FisHn2DMax,

1. I believe the heater is around 1400 watts, but I am not absolutely positive of that.

2. I suggest plugging in the heater if the temperature gets below 32 degrees.

3. If I run the heater about 1-2 hours prior to starting it makes quite a difference. Even one hour helps a lot. The colder it gets, then longer is better.

4. Actually the DMAX will start fine down to 0 degrees or so. But, the heater allows it to start gently, without so much shaking and shuddering, the engine oil is warmer and circulates better, faster, and YOU receive warmth in the cabin a whole lot faster.

5. You did not ask, but with temperatures in the teens, you should have installed the winter fronts that came with your DMAX.

P.S. The heater does not directly heat the engine oil, but the oil receives a heat benefit from the warmer coolant, warmer engine block, after you start the engine.

Good Luck, Don

conradv
12-10-2002, 17:22
I too made a short extension out of a heavy duty cord. I definately didn't want a plug sticking out right next to my headlight... :(

Mine lays real nice right in the opening above my license plate and makes it very easy to plug in. Plus, I have a little bit of "give" room in my engine compartment where I wrap it around this, then around that, then next to the radiator, etc...

GM Smitty
12-10-2002, 18:14
I thought my plug wire was short also, but you can pull it back through the slit in the wire loom quite a bit. I have plenty of length to reach practically anywhere on the front of the truck. There is the gray plastic clip that wraps around the loom and connects it to the fender liner. If you take off that plastic clip, you can pull the wire out quite a bit more. Then simply reinstall the clip in its original spot. Wire ties finish the job.

Josh

conradv
12-10-2002, 18:57
Yeah, I didn't even realize you could do that until I had already built my extension. And I figured that I had put so much time into carefully wire-tieing it all together that by-God I was going to use it! LOL...

FisHn2DMax
12-11-2002, 01:21
Don G,

Thanks for answering my questions on the block heater.

Yes, I just put on my front covers on for the first time, and it wasn't easy! I had to put the truck into the garage, use a blow dryer and crank up the garage heat to get those covers to fit. God help the poor guy trying to put these on in Sub Freezing temps for the first time.

1400 watts is a lot of power, so I'll put a timer on her and warm it up a couple hours before leaving in Morning. I'm usually in such a hurry in the morning I hope I don't forget to un-plug the darn thing. I can just imagine looking in my rear view and wondering why is that big extention cord following me around ? LoL

Thanks again,

Gordon tongue.gif

GreyPower3500
12-12-2002, 02:20
I don't think this block heater would be pulling all of 1400 watts. I'd be surprise if it's using 800, but I'm not certain. 1400 would be ample pre-heat for a 10-litre diesel I'd imagine...

I made an OK start (minimal clatter) after being plugged in for about two hours at -30C one morning last week with 10W30. That big exhaust clould nearly killed me and anyone following behind...

Took a week to find that pesky cord when I bought the truck. It was nicely tie-wrapped near the passenger side battery/airbox area. Of course the cord comes up half-a-foot short...

Another four months of temperatures cold enough to kill a freakin' penquin... Oh, boy...

Regards.

TSimpler
12-12-2002, 07:40
You guys are doing it ALL WRONG!!!

After you buy the $40K rig to putter around in, you can justify building a nice garage to put it in. :D Build mine and put r-19/r-40 in it and have a solor heater on it and never have any trouble... Must suck to have to worry about plugs tongue.gif ROFLMAO -30f, NOT IN MY GARAGE!!! HEHEHEHE