PDA

View Full Version : Rough/Surging/Lopey? Idle

chuntag95
03-17-2003, 10:09
Okay boys and girls, I need your help. My truck is not sounding good at idle, especially when it's cold. The idle kind of surges and isn't even. It does get a little better after it warms up. Since I added the 4", it is really noticable.
I occationally hear more "clatter" than I used to or am getting more tuned into it. It's like the pilot injection is off. It's not all the time and sometimes it's happens when it's cold and sometimes it's hot.
Finally, I was pulling out of a parking space and it surged on me yesterday. Almost took out another truck's bumper. My buddy was "surprised" that I turned so fast. I had to admit my foot was on the brake and she took off on her own. :eek: Very uncool to have to admit that to a dodge fan.
I think the three of these might be related, but can't say for sure. Has anyone else seen these issues and if so, how did you fix them? I'm thinking it might be lopey idle but can't say for sure. I know some people had the lope even hot. I took it in and had them update the ECM when it started doing the surge thing once before. Now it's back and I need to know what to tell them to look for when I take it in.
Thanks in advance for the bounty of info I am about to recieve. Amen :D
Chris

hoot
03-17-2003, 13:30
I get some of the same. A little "romp" in idle, usually when cold but sometimes when hot. Once in a while, maybe once in 6 months, a little surge.

Had all the updates.

I blame it on the injection pump. I'll probabbly take mine in soon now that I have some time coming up for the new pump.

chuntag95
03-17-2003, 13:48
Hoot,
Injection pump is what I am afraid of as well. Maybe the regulator? I just can't ignore it much longer after yesterday. Let me know if you get yours done.
Later,
Chris

hoot
03-17-2003, 14:22
I think it's great to get a brand new pump at 50,000 miles.

DieselBunny
03-17-2003, 18:44
Had the same problems as you mentioned .... the fix was just the regulator ... just a few hours in the shop to fix and all was well.

---->>Kevin :D

dmaxalliTech
03-17-2003, 20:23
You will have a hard time getting a pump now for just a regulator issue. Gm is putting the whoa on pump replacements when regulators will fix idle surge. Best way to detect faulty regulator is with tech-2. set it to plot actual and desired fuel pressure. lines should run almost on top of each other, bad regulator with cause actual pressure line to 'shark tooth'

chuntag95
03-18-2003, 09:18
Thanks for the info guys. dmaxalliTech, I'll pass along you info. Still the best 15 bucks I ever spent on this truck. :D

chuntag95
03-19-2003, 12:48
Update:
Took the truck in yesterday after lunch. Gave them Dmaxalli Techs info. They checked the regulator and it was okay. They are now looking at the injectors and on the phone with the tech line. Not surprising really, since when I asked the tech about adding an additonal fuel filter, he said it would be no problem, but it didn't need it and he wouldn't do it. I think I will especially if they replace the injectors. Fresh start. The service writer also asked if I was inquiring about Bullydog when I asked to talk to the tech. I will quiz him on why today.

chuntag95
03-19-2003, 23:00
Well, they said it was an injector issue. I didn't get all of the details on which one, how many etc. They said it would be ready tomorrow afternoon. I'll let you know what shows.

chuntag95
03-23-2003, 10:22
Just to finish this thread, they ended up replacing 2 injectors for being out of balance, flowing low. Truck is much smoother running and quieter now. Only time will tell on the surge. More details on my other thread "How long to change an injector?" Later,