PDA

View Full Version : Cat. Filter Final Episode

ccds
07-02-2003, 21:40
the following link is where this all started from when I installed the Cat Filter:

http://forum.thedieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=005155

The installation was completed Feb. 21/03.

I have driven the truck for a total of 360hrs.
which totaled 11770k.

Today I changed the filter. The pictures in my photo album under 3rd Cat pretty well tells the story.

I don't think I would run the filter much more than the 360hrs by the looks of the filter which I cut apart for inspection.

You can make up your own mind from the pictures.

This project was fun, I have had absolutley no leaks, air or any other problems since intallation.

This filter was installed pre OEM.

Have a great day

smile.gif

Tsckey
07-02-2003, 22:55
ccds,
Very timely report. This afternoon I went to our local Cat dealer and purchased all the parts necessary for installation. I'm going to put it in the TraceF pre-OEM position so I'll have clearance for a bigger tank down the road. Your experience supplies a lot of reassurance that this is a good setup.

TC

DA_MAXX
07-02-2003, 23:46
Sounds really promising. I'm looking for additional filter without inducing "prime/air" problems. I also would like to keep it under warranty coverage. So PRE OEM seem like a fit. I can hide the filter assy back by the fuel tank (maybe wrong here).

Pictures look like a simple/clean install. Could I get a list of parts used for the final product? How much was the grand total ?

I didn't see pictures of the Post OEM install. Did I miss something ? Were there priming/stalling issues ?

mike.morris
07-03-2003, 00:21
Looks like you are getting a good life expectancy out of that filter. I am getting ready to tackle an add on filter, but with all of the options and issues, I am a bit overwhelmed. Your results are going to make my life a little easier as I was considering a lift pump with 2 filters pre-OEM (15 mic, then 2mic). Did you perform any additional fuel analysis tests after your initial ones you have posted? Just curious.

Congrats on a job well done!!

mackin
07-03-2003, 03:36
Did you change, are you going to change, the OEM filter ??
Would be an excellent testimonial to secondary filter pre OEM .... Myself I would prefer aft but lets see it mon .....
Cut it open and post PICS please ......

Mac :D :D :D

[ 07-03-2003, 04:04 AM: Message edited by: mackin ]

ccds
07-03-2003, 06:16
DA-MAXX:

here is the list of parts that was supplied by
Duramax3 (it was in the link I supplied above)
but here it is again. Durmax3 did the exact installation I did:

Here is the part numbers you will need to install the Cat filter. The only thing you will have to do is go to the local parts store and buy the hose, fittings, and clamps. What i am listing is the things you need to order from cat.

FILTER BASE.......1N-3789
FUEL FILTER.......1R-0750 SHORT OR 1R-0749 TALL
GASKET.....1P-0436 (GOES BETWEEN COVER PLATE WHEN REMOVING PRIME PUMP)
COVER...6N-4414 (REPLACES PRIME PUMP)
PLUG...9S-4182...(FILLS EXTRA HOLE IN FILTER PLATE)
SEAL O RING...3J-7354...(GOES ON PLUG,EXTRA HOLE)
BOLT...8T-0640...(COVER)
BOLT...6V-5218...(COVER)
WASHER...5P-0537...(PUT ON BOLT LISTED ABOVE)
WASHER...9M-1974...(PUT ON BOLT LISTED ABOVE)

Order all these parts and you will have everything you need from Caterpillar...I should note that the cover has two diffrent size holes in it to keep you from installing it backwards, hence the two different size bolts and washers. The gasket also has one hole bigger than the other so look closely before installing. The total price of the parts i got was 110.50 including tax... the total height of the system with the short filter is 9 7/8 inchs tall... If there is any other questions, i'll try to answer tomorrow... Robert...

Thanks to Duramax3

go to my photo album and click on Cat Install album it gives you a complete album of pics of the install.

As I said in the orginal link and above I did not encounter any stalling, air or any other issues to date. This install has worked absolutely perfect.

Mike.Morris:

I have not completed anymore fuel analysis since the ones posted in my album and then those ones were not mine but were supplied by George Morrison.

Macken:

I did not change the OEM filter this time because I think it is useless except for the water sensor. I am filtering down to 2 microns at 98% efficient. The OEM filter has no work to do as it only filters to 10 microns although some have posted that it does filter to 2 microns. I will change both filters next time but I feel it should be clean as a whistle after the CAT filter has taken all the junk out the fuel.

(a foot note)- if you go to my album you can first click on the pic it will expand the pic to regular size. If you want to be able to read the fine print on any of the pic's go to FULL SIZE and click on it. FULL SIZE islocated top right corner just above the SEND GREETING.

hope this helps

smile.gif

letsgo
07-03-2003, 06:56
ccds first I am unable to access your pictures. I noticed in your parts list there isnt a fuel heater, and I assume (no picture) there isnt any water drain cock on the filter, not having these 2 components, wouldnt it cause some problems in the extream cold???

Bigwheel
07-03-2003, 06:57
After reading what you all have done with this secondary filter set-up, I'm considering on installing this set-up, any warranty issues I need to know about, and how much does cat filter cost, easily found, and how difficult to install. Great job on everyone's working together to come up with solution!! Thaks for your input.
:cool: :D

[ 07-03-2003, 08:23 AM: Message edited by: Bigwheel ]

HD-Nate
07-03-2003, 08:44
Originally posted by letsgo:
ccds first I am unable to access your pictures. SAME....unable to access :(

Jim Cobler
07-03-2003, 09:18
I did not notice a water drain on the filter. How does Cat deal with water?

Thanks,

ndamico
07-03-2003, 10:26
I Wish i could see the pictures.

ccds
07-03-2003, 10:57
I think yahoo photo is down because I can't get in there either. Give it sometime today and it will probably be back on line.

letsgo:

I ran my filter through a month of very cold weather here in Calgary Ab. Canada. -30 to -35'C
I did one long haul about 1000k with no problems.
The rest of the month was around town.
Like I said it wasn't an issue at all.

As for the water I still have the OEM filter in line so if water does show up it will notify me on the dash indicator.

Bigwheel :

A CAT filter here in Canada costs $18.22 cdn.
I have no warranty issues my dealer fully agrees with the set up but that may very from dealer to dealer.

Again sorry about the pictures but I am sure yahoo will be back up in a short time.

I will take another look tonight when I get home and see if something I have done has caused the problem. I did access the pic's early this morning but can't get them now either.

smile.gif

ccds
07-03-2003, 13:22
for those that couldn't get into the pictures
I just tried now and it was able to get into the pic's so yahoo must be back up.

Plse. post if you still can't get in.

thanks

smile.gif

DURA-MAX3
07-03-2003, 14:17
Looks like the Cat set-up is doing the job. I have always said they were good filters, ran them over half million miles on my big rigs. Looks like pretty good life also..

ccds
07-03-2003, 19:39
Pic's are back up now must have been a problem with yahoo.

smile.gif

DalDMax
07-03-2003, 19:51
CCDS,
Just wanted to say thanks for the pics smile.gif VERY Nice!
I have been waiting and watching the filter threads for quite a while trying to decide between pre and post. I think I have just decided!
BTW, you kinda have an unfair advantage when working under the truck over those of us who have to lay flat on our backs :D

luvthesmellofdiesel
07-07-2003, 12:24
If I did my conversion right, you got about 730 miles on one filter? This is the "short" filter? I was thinking of installing this setup on my truck since I want to stay away from the post-OEM warranty & air issues and be able to remove it easily (if needed) prior to any fuel system related stealer visits.

What kind of mileage should one expect from the longer filter? 730 miles is pretty short. I just drove 1200 miles in the last 3 days alone, I wouldn't want to have to tell the wife & kids that I need to stop and change out the fuel filter on a road trip if you know what I mean...

It sure goes to show the quality of our fuel if it clogs one of these babies at such low mileage. Certainly more reason than ever to install something on my truck besides the OEM filter. I am at the 22,000 mile mark already.

I have been reading the forums for months about all the fuel (and air) issues and was about to install a setup a few months back until the air scare started. Then I mentioned something to the stealer about installing one, and it became quickly obvious that that will cause me trouble down the road dealing with them if I were to have injector/pump problems, so I have chosen to wait until the pre-OEM CAT results were in to see about going this route or not.

What about the possibility of putting two of these setups in parallel with tee's to get twice the mileage? Anyone done this? It would obviously cost twice as much since there would be two filter head setups instead of one. Theoretically you could get twice the mileage out of a filter(s) this way.

Thanks,
Tim

Lone Eagle
07-07-2003, 13:02
Tim, Without everything being exactly the same on both filters/piping more fuel will go through the filter with the least resistance. Later! Lone Eagle

imported_
07-07-2003, 13:03
luvthesmellofdiesel,

You need to add another zero to your number ;)

DURA-MAX3
07-07-2003, 18:17
I am working on 5000 plus miles on my short 2 mic cat filter and just today bought a new one. Have not installed it but think i will the week before my Sturgis, S.D. trip. I am going to cut it open like ccds did to see what it looks like. Will report back when i do...

ccds
07-08-2003, 05:52
luvthesmellofdiesel :

You didn't do your calculation from kilometers to miles right.

11770 Kilometers = 7314 Miles

Time used:

Filter installed Feb. 21/03
Filter changed Jul. 02/03
5 months of driving with the orginal CAT filter

There is no need to add anymore filters or other items to try to extend the life. I think 5 months is a reasonable time frame.

Dur-max3 and myself have identical installs and neither of us have experienced any problems that others have encountered.

I have just had trouble free driving with as clean of fuel as I can possibly provide.

Hope this helps....

smile.gif

luvthesmellofdiesel
07-08-2003, 09:32
Thanks for pointing out my error... Ok, 7000+ miles per filter, now that sounds pretty good to me. That's about the same interval I have been changing the OEM filter, no problem. I think I might go this route, seems like the most promising yet.

Thanks,
Tim

ccds
07-08-2003, 20:42
luvthesmellofdiesel :

did you click on my photo album and actually look at the used filter I cut open?

There was still some filtering left at the stage I took it out, but I think that around the 300hr.
mark I will be changing it, just to be safe.

smile.gif

Jelisfc
07-08-2003, 22:19
ccds, were you fuel samples taken after just the Cat filter or after both Cat and stock?

Thanx.

ccds
07-09-2003, 05:49
Jelisfc:

The 2 fuel samples that are on my photo page were supplied for information only by a DP Member who does fuel testing at AV Lubricants to show what the CAT filter will do. They were not taken from my truck but taken from another unit using a CAT filter. My understanding is the fuel samples were taken from a diesel unit identified only as AMOCO #2. in the documents. The fuel samples were taken before the CAT fuel filter and after the CAT fuel filter only.

luvthesmellofdiesel
07-09-2003, 07:24
ccds,

Yes, I did. Thanks for posting these. It indicates more than ever the need for better fuel filtration than the stock OEM setup provides. It leaves no doubt in my mind.

Thanks,
Tim