PDA

View Full Version : stainless steel 304 or 409?

AndyG
08-26-2005, 21:40
I've read posts and advertizers opinions and now I want yours... which is better, 304 stailess or 409 stainless (or for that matter what about the less expensive aluminized steel)???? Is the 304 really worth the extra money? Thanks. :confused:

Turbo Al
08-27-2005, 07:32
How long do you want it to last?? I have the aluminized steel (exhaust pipes) on my 1993 about 150,000 miles and 10 years later it has a little rust around the welds but the rest looks like new. I would think they would have used a better welding rod (stainless) but hey It is the only thing someone else has done on my truck -- enough said.
Al

dmaxalliTech
08-27-2005, 18:50
Up here in the snow belt, I think that an aluminized system or a 304 system would be good. The 409 systems are a stainless, but really loose the nice look that they have out of the box. They look pretty bad after a short time and while still solid, they seem to get nasty. I have a Kennedy aluminized 4-5" system on my truck and it still looks very good on the system. If your dont mind how it looks and need to have SS, then go for the lower priced 409. If you want a nice looking product for the long haul, go with the higher priced 304.

If you dont care about SS, then save your hard earned money and get the aluminized version

AndyG
08-28-2005, 01:11
Check this out a completely 304 stainless system for only $575. Seems like a bargain. Anyone purchased one of these??

diesel pro stainless exhaust (http://www.dieselpro.net/duramax_stainless_exhaust.php)

smile.gif

Mark Craig
08-29-2005, 10:05
AndyG,

Deepends on where you live and how particular you are, the 409 is a magnetic stainless and will turn brown/gray and over time get some spots on it, it's also what came stock on your truck. The 304 is a non magnetic stainless and contains a lot of nickel and chromium, hence the extra cost. The MBRP we sell includes the 5 inch tip(s) in all 304 systems too so compare that when you look at costs. Call us if you have any questions etc.

Mark @ DPPI