PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here their turbo after shutdown

permx11
07-03-2003, 13:50
Wondering if anyone else hears the turbo after you shutdown. I hear it right in the front middle of the dash and it doesnt sound all that smooth.

DmaxMaverick
07-03-2003, 14:04
You shouldn't hear the turbo after shutdown.

Not sure about the 03's, but the 01's and 02's have a cooling fan for the radio head that will spin while the ignition is on, and after the ignition is turned off, until the door is opened (courtesy acc. power). Essentially anytime the radio will operate. I'm not sure if it is thermostatically controlled or not, but mine seems to be.

If the 03's have this, that would be my bet.

Try this. The next time you hear the noise with the ignition off, open the door. It should stop.

mackin
07-03-2003, 14:27
Originally posted by permx11:
Wondering if anyone else hears the turbo after you shutdown. I hear it right in the front middle of the dash and it doesnt sound all that smooth. I hear it in my sleep ..Don't feel bad .....

Mac
:D :D :D

DmaxMaverick
07-03-2003, 14:31
funny :D

But I don't think that was the shutdown he was talking about.

permx11
07-03-2003, 14:42
Its definetly the turbo, cause I would turn it off pull out the key and open the door and hear it spinning to a halt.

I wonder if this could be the cause of some of the problems I seem to be having.

Power seems low, low mileage, if you try and step on it and pass some on it doesnt go anywhere for seconds.

DmaxMaverick
07-03-2003, 17:19
I still don't think it's the turbo.

You should not hear it unless you shutdown from well off idle. If it does make noise, and it is more than just a slight whisper, it's not long for this world.

I still think you are hearing the radio fan, or something similar. Could be something in the electronics, or the A/C expansion valve bleeding off.

GMCTRUCK
07-03-2003, 20:44
If you've got real good ears and you're in the garage you can hear the turbo wind down for a second after shutting off. It's normal and all turbos do it. The Duramax is actually very quiet and brief about it compared to others. Shut off a 7.3PSD or a Cummins and it's noticeably louder. If anyone doesn't think their truck does it have someone else shut your truck off while your ear is close to the tailpipe.

deerhunter7
07-03-2003, 20:56
Originally posted by GMCTRUCK:
it . If anyone doesn't think their truck does it have someone else shut your truck off while your ear is close to the tailpipe. After you have your ear by the tailpipe you won't hear anything but the ringing in your head! :D :D

imported_
07-03-2003, 22:37
if you have the stock radio in your truck what you are hearing is the cooling fan still running on the radio..... i know cause it drove me nuts until i took the dash apart to find out what the heck that whining noise was!

WhiteDuramax
07-03-2003, 22:40
Heard my turbo the other day when someone shut my truck off, I was close to the tailpipe though. Didnt spin very long.

HD-Nate
07-03-2003, 22:52
Originally posted by WhiteDuramax:
Heard my turbo the other day when someone shut my truck off, I was close to the tailpipe though. Didnt spin very long. SAME HERE, but only after putting the 4" exhaust on it

SoMnDMAX
07-04-2003, 00:37
Originally posted by GMCTRUCK:
If you've got real good ears and you're in the garage you can hear the turbo wind down for a second after shutting off. I hear the turbo wind down ONLY when I park it in the garage. Not a big noise, but you can tell something is moving air.. Definitely NOT the radio fan in my case, since I'm running an Alpine unit, and the noise is still there.... :D