PDA

View Full Version : I'm afraid to ask, but.....(best box question)

Diesel Freak
12-11-2002, 00:24
After seeing what happened in the other thread about the powerloader, I'm afraid to ask this question. Has anybody stacked a Juice on top of a Powerloader? I am wanting to get a handheld Powerloader in the ~50hp variant. Am I correct in assuming that this would give me in the neighborhood of 130rwhp when added to a 90hp Juice? Isn't that about the limit on power upgrades without putting the tranny into limp mode?

I know I can simply reflash my Juice to a Hot Juice and have the same power for less money, frankly I could give a rat's *ss less about the cost, I spent 50g's on the truck, who cares about a couple more? The reason I would like to add the Power loader is simple: NO TOP SPEED LIMITER!!!!! 96 mph is PATHETIC!!!! Not too mention more rpms.

SoCalNewbie: I understand that the Powerloader will compensate for tire changes, is that a one shot deal at time of purchase, or can I adjust for a different tire size when I buy new ones next year? You mentioned that the dealer can't see the reflash. I'm confused. Do you mean they can't see it if you use the handheld to remove it, or they can't see it even with the extra hp? If the latter is the case, wouldn't they notice the extra power on a test drive and think something is fishy? Do you have the handheld reprogrammer, or did you install a different PCM?

Thanks,
Jerry

NWDmax
12-11-2002, 00:45
Dieselfreak,I thought the new Hot Juice did away with the top speed limiter.
Am I misinformed? Blake

JustWondering
12-11-2002, 01:01
Diesel Freak,

Now you've done it, wait till mackin reads this... he's gonna fry you to a crisp :eek: !

Try this: http//forum.62-65-dieselpage.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic&f=3&t=004695&p=2

NWDmax
12-11-2002, 01:18
I looked on their site and the top speed limiter is still enabled.
Oh well hopefully they have a reflash at some point so that "feature" is removed.
Blake

SoCalDieselNewbie
12-11-2002, 02:07
DIESEL FREAK WROTE - "Has anybody stacked a Juice on top of a Powerloader?"

Yes

DIESEL FREAK WROTE - "I am wanting to get a handheld Powerloader in the ~50hp variant. Am I correct in assuming that this would give me in the neighborhood of 130rwhp when added to a 90hp Juice?"

I haven't seen or heard of that combo being dyno'd. I doubt the stack would only result in a 10hp loss from the stack.

DIESEL FREAK WROTE - "Isn't that about the limit on power upgrades without putting the tranny into limp mode?"

Maybe

DIESEL FREAK WROTE - "I understand that the Powerloader will compensate for tire changes, is that a one shot deal at time of purchase, or can I adjust for a different tire size when I buy new ones next year?"

Not quite sure...

DIESEL FREAK WROTE - "You mentioned that the dealer can't see the reflash."

Correct

DIESEL FREAK WROTE - "Do you mean they can't see it if you use the handheld to remove it, or they can't see it even with the extra hp?"

Can't see it with the Modified Programs. Secruity is different.

DIESEL FREAK WROTE - "If the latter is the case, wouldn't they notice the extra power on a test drive and think something is fishy?"

I have the 3 position switch for my PCM. Set it to Econo and pull the switches if you are worried.

DIESEL FREAK WROTE - "Do you have the handheld reprogrammer, or did you install a different PCM?"

Actually installed it via Cole's laptop but I have Handheld.

mackin
12-11-2002, 05:38
Diesel Freak

I think the same result will be as stacking two Juice boxes, nothing to gain.....

With the TTS and Duramaximizer, the polished one from earlier forgotten or unknown issues by some, raise fuel pressure apparently a task the Powerloader may or may not be able to do but not stay undetectable by the general.....

I await the Diablo in hopes of the capabilities to Re-store PCM settings.....

JW

I only fry if given the fundamentals......Greasy story, and someone raises the heat!!!!! I'll make no bones about it I like Edge products.....Been familiar with Dodge application prior to the Duramax application.....When and if something comes along that is fool proof and or better, I'll band wagon jump just like the next guy !!!!!!!

MAC smile.gif

[ 12-11-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

mackin
12-11-2002, 06:32
I must add in a non bias way without in sighting a riot .....

The Powerloader may be the best, my concerns lie with in not being able to ZERO out and or remove......I have not used one and the Power delivery more then definitely may be delivered as if it was GM introduced and better.....

But,

People will spout off their product is the best do to they are the manufacture or just laid out some serious cash, me, I look at the big picture, the what if,if you will.....Nothing personal about it.....

So,
Being on the EAST coast I would have to remove my PCM, ship and wait for it's return,Or by one out right Huge bucks, or swap out for a different serial numbered PCM which doesn't match.... Important yes, very......

I could opt for any one of three hand held power levels offered.....

If your under warranty and do not want to be your own warranty station,exspecialy in the 3 year 36 time frame, one has to go with the 3 level one......Just imagine a trip to dealer with a 100 extra HP and a GM shop Forman in the drivers seat......

Here is the part that gives me concern.....I bring my truck in with 20,000 miles with locker noise issue.....Good Diesel Tech takes it for a ride, tell me he won't notice the perkiness in my truck with the additional 30 Hp, which doesn't seem like much, go from a 90 HP box to a 125 Hp box and I'll tell you there is a noticeable difference.....Even if you were to just add 30HP to a stock Diesel it very noticable compared to gasser whole different world.....As some of you know with a un-named box in lower settings.....

He starts poking around.....That switch better be in the ashtray under lock and key or removed.....

Remember that ticket you signed,go ahead drive my truck make necessary repairs,call me when it's done???

So he reflashes the PCM, and thus becomes a matter of record on your VIN number in their's and GM'S maintenance records on your truck.....With any and all current perhaps some new upgrades.....So I re-flash my PCM with my handheld which is no longer unique do to the dealer upgrading my software, does it work????Perhaps,but restores IT'S software version......So yes I believe one would HAVE to send it back to upgrade if NEW GM upgrades were introduced.....OR,read on.....

Now I'll be a SOB two weeks later, I got a loopy idle......I bring it in tech goes for a ride.....WHAT??? You know he's going straight to the chief,or swaps out you PCM,because it's not holding taking the program (remember the serial number thing).....Just imagine if you had to go in a third time for a oil leak......Kiss your 100,000 away.......Some of you may have the cash to support these desisions....I could do it but, I'm not putting myself there this early on in warranty time....I may want things warranted that are not related but GM will read me the riot act,I'll quote the Moss act, and so my truck will grow Moss while I await the decision......No reason to do this from where I stand.....We all have been witness to the erratic behavior of independent dealer attitude....Some are ridiculously by the book....

With all do respect, I truly am Just wondering can this play out?????I tried to find this out many moons ago too,mostly recently with loads of redirection to a personal objective and trashing products thread....

With other boxes Duramaximizer and or any others can simply be removed with avoiding these issues....I would buy a TTS handheld in a heart beat as I await the Diablo which seems to address what keeps me holding on to my CASH !!!!!
Flamers need not respond,just straight answers,and or info,thanks for your time ......

MAC

:D

[ 12-11-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

Diesel Freak
12-11-2002, 08:17
So the Powerloader handheld does not download the factory info and save it when it uploads it's own? I do see Mackin's point from a warranty standpoint (especially if they flash the pcm). What about if the dealer uses it's tech 2 to say... change the settings on the high idle circuit or something equally simple yet necessary? My local dealer is great about the add on's, but I travel extensively and might run into trouble that way. On the other hand, in the unlikely event of a major breakdown that stops me cold out of state, I can have a buddy jump in my other pickup, grab the gooseneck and come haul the D'max back to my local dealer.

Socal: Do you have a contact number for Steve Cole so he could answer my question about the tire size and what happens if the pcm is changed via tech 2?

Has anybody with just the Hot Juice put the tranny into limp mode? Or have we figured out yet what the rwhp is that the stock Ally can hold?

Thanks,
Jerry

GMC D-Max
12-11-2002, 08:25
I'm not SoCal, but here ya go!

http://www.ttspowersystems.com/contact.htm

mackin
12-11-2002, 08:34
Diesel Freak

You will need all current TCM PCM upgrades to get High Idle and OD lock out,so get it done prior to any mod of this type mentioned...Dealer can not pick and chose.....So as I was informed ......I guess they most load a complete program,which includes what you require,or perhaps won't, unless your real friendly???? JK will know more about this.....

I do know you need all current upgrades tho as I'm working on these two items and dragging my feet do to that reason.....

MAC

Kennedy
12-11-2002, 09:43
Stacking is a VERY inexact science in that you never know how any combo will work. You can often gain a few ponies, but LOSE in the longevity dept. A good example of this is with the Juice and the VA Smart Box. When you add the Smart Box it does pick up some more, but sounds like crap.

At BD I ran the TTS 80HP program (120 was not yet released) combined with a 120HP (claimed) program on the Van Aaken Smart Box box and hit 376RW

At K&S this fall, I ran the Hot Juice along with a special program VA Smart box box (soon to be available) and hit 432RW. I then tried adding the TTS 120HP program, and could only muster 420RW with everything that I had. This is a good example of a conflict. Since tis was a dyno shootout, I did not have an opportunity to evaluate what was happening.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, take NOTHING for granted when stacking, AND proceed with caution! Stacking will NOT do well with the Allison in 5th gear so at least upgrade the converter and flow valve as this DOES add holding power to 5th gear...

amccom
12-11-2002, 10:30
diesel freak,
if you wanted a vehicle that easily travels
over 95 miles per hour why the H### did you
but a diesel? It is a low end torque engine?
Is this the first diesel you have ever owned?
Should have talked with experience diesel
owners before buying a diesel..
vr
amccom

RVGuy
12-11-2002, 11:32
Oh, boy, here we go again. Guys, if you don't have something constructive to input into a topic why are you posting?

This has been a touchy topic these past few days but its one that many folks (myself included) are learning a great deal about.

But flippant remarks add nothing and before you know it, there goes the thread into another battle. Let's be respectfull of others on the board.

Diesel Freak
12-12-2002, 00:23
AMCCOM, I view that as a pretty blatant attack, from somebody who needs to pull his head...... nevermind, I'm not going to sink to your pathetic level.

To answer your question, NO this is not my first diesel, far from it. I am VERY knowledgable about diesels in general, I'll be the first to admit I don't know alot about the Duramax yet as this is my first one. However I have quite abit of experience with the Cummins and know how to build more power with it than the Duramax is currently capable of. My '94 Dodge would run about 128mph on the top end, and my '01 would run about 118. I'm quite certain I'm not the only one with a Duramax that wishes it would run faster than 96mph, if you are content with yours, more power to ya. I'm sure we'll all smile and wave as we blow past you in the triple digits! :D

More Power
12-12-2002, 13:29
If some of you find that you can't login. You'll know why.

MP