PDA

View Full Version : Well, I got the infamous "tick" figured out.....

Duramaxerado
03-17-2003, 21:02
As someo f you may know, I am a colission tech. @ a chevrolet dealer here in town. My new Duramax ticks like a !@%*! and it has been driving me NUTS!!! I also have 2 good buddies I know who work at DMAX LTD and htey have been helping me with TONS of info from the ticking noise to private info on new designes comming from dmax in the future. I gave one of my buds my engine number and he pulled all of the hot test data for my engine and mailed it to me today. I will post part of his email to me below. My diesel mechanic gave me a printed copy of the service info GM offers their techs.. Here is what it says..

Some of the above vehicles may exhibit a randon ticking noise that is most audible on an engine with a coolant temp of 70 deg C (158F) or higher and from idle to approximately 1500 RPM. The noise is usually most noticeable at the rear of the drivers side front wheel well. Customers may also comment about hearing a tick noise inside the vehicle at idle such as when sitting at a drive through window. All 6600 Duramax engines have this condition; however, some are more audible than others. Engine build variation from engine to engine contributes to differences in percieved volume. All duramax engines are manufactured to very close tolerences to meet the durability and reliability standards.

This noise is caused by the relationship of the engine cylinder block, crankshaft journals, bearing inserts, and the oil film. This relationship may allow a vibration that resonates through the cylinder block and is heard as a metallic ticking noise. The noise could be described as an irregular ticking or clacking sound, like random typing on a mechanical typewriter.

This condition has been present in diesel engines produced for the last 20 or more years. The overall noise reduction in engines produced today makes this noise seem new when, in fact, it was masked by other noises in the past. Many manufacturers such as Isuzu, Hino, Mitsubisi, and Nissan report a similar condition in their diesel engines. Testing and engine teardowns with this condition reveal no condition that would affect reliability or durability of this engine.

Dealers should not attempt to compare vehicles exhibiting this noise with other similar vehicles as the noise is different from vehicle to vehicle and this may lead to the incorrect comclusion that the vehicle has a condition. The noise is a normal operating characteristic of the engine. This nooise has no short or long term effects on the engine. Do not attempt repairs for this noise.

Now here is some info my buddy pulled up on MY specific engine. . These are a couple of his exact emails to me with his personal info left out. i simply can not disclose who my contacts are as it may jeopardize their position with dmax for giving me private info.

Engine Number 262264

Chris, Your engine was built on 2/11/03,

GMCTRUCK
03-17-2003, 21:23
Great info! I'll relay this to my buddy and tell him to relax. His 03 does it and mine doesn't. Bothers the heck out of him. :D

Duramaxerado
03-17-2003, 21:25
Bothers the HECK out of me too!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

mackin
03-17-2003, 21:32
Duramaxerado

If you do a search there is extensive discussion of this subject..The actual GM TSB is also posted here....

I can post it again but it's been done a couple times all ready .....

The tick is a NON issue ...Mine as a few others do it only at an oil change for the first hundred miles or so...Once you get some miles on the MAX it will quiet down....Or you will be so exuberant about driving this leader in performance you'll forget all about it....

MAC :D :D :D

Duramaxerado
03-17-2003, 21:37
Mack, please post it again if you can..

I know I am being a bit anal but sh!t, I have only had the truck 8 days and 500 miles now and its driving me NUTS!!! I am just a young buck and it took a good bit out of me to be able to purchase this truck. The noise is just eating away at me. Who knows, maybe the newness of the truck will wear off and the noise will wear in..

Kinda sucks though when we ordered 2 x 03 2500 HD crew cab duramax trucks the same night and mine ticks, dads doesn't... :mad: My buddy Mel just bought on on sat as well and his doesn't tick either.. Maybe I would feel better about it if theirs started to tick.. :eek: :D

thanks..

AKDmax
03-17-2003, 22:55
Good information!!! those are some of the longest sentences I've ever seen. Still good info though.

ChevysRus
03-17-2003, 23:06
Just think of it as that old Timex watch commercial "Takes a lickin and keeps on ticking" LOL smile.gif

Maybe you are too young to remember that commercial, never mind, the tick may or may not go away. Mine still "ticks" at 25K. I think of it as the engine telling me it's still tight!

It comes and goes, I hear it when I am thinking about it and other times I don't notice it.

For you the tick came on quick and it is upsetting, we all want a perfect truck and not hear "flack" from our buddies.

My advise is just say to your buds "my truck is tighter than your truck and I can prove it, my "tick" is louder than your tick LOL
:D :D :D

mtomac
03-17-2003, 23:20
Until this post I almost forgot about the tick. I don't remember it ticking after the oil change @40000 miles and it didn't tick after the oil change @45000 miles either. (48XXX miles on truck now)

mackin
03-18-2003, 05:15
Here ya go .......

=>Diesel Engine - Random Ticking Noise Information

File In Section: 06 - Engine/Propulsion System

Bulletin No.: 02-06-01-022A

Date: November, 2002

INFORMATION
Subject:
Information on Engine Ticking

Models:
2001-2003 Chevrolet Silverado
2003 Chevrolet Kodiak C4500/C5500 Series
2001-2003 GMC Sierra
2003 GMC Topkick C4500/C5500 Series
with 6.6L Duramax(TM) Diesel Engine (VIN 1 - RPO LB7)

This bulletin is being revised to update the models information. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 02-06-01-022 (Section 06 - Engine/propulsion System).

Some of the above vehicles may exhibit a random ticking noise that is most audible on an engine with a coolant temperature of 70

hoot
03-18-2003, 08:01
FAAGETABOUTIT

Kent Tuttle
03-18-2003, 12:10
Hoots right, it seems to disappear around 15K anyway. Thats about when mine stopped. Put a nice exhaust on it and ride around with the rear windows down :D

MaxDiesel
04-03-2003, 14:06
Hey Duramaxerado

Is there a way I could find out the Hot test data for my engine?

Thanks

Jim
jim@hanleyco.com

sdaver
04-03-2003, 15:42
with tire squeal noise.........turbo whistle......the banks rumble.........telephones ringing.......xm spitting out the war........and an open ear for the valentine one, Whos got time or resources to listen for a tick?.........never heard it :D :D :D dave

CALIMAX
04-03-2003, 19:58
I think it's the air popping in the fuel filter. LOL :D

Silver Bullet
04-03-2003, 22:46
Sdaver - Now that is what I am talkin' 'bout!!!

I had the dreaded tick consistantly while running Rotella...I hear for very short periods once every blue moon. This change happened when I went to Delo400. Hhhhhmmmmmm.......

Heartbeat Hauler
04-04-2003, 13:07
20,000 miles and I'm tick free.
JP

Raptorrider2001
04-05-2003, 17:08
I think the tick is actually the muffler bearings! See photo at link below:
http://www.mufflerbearings.com/
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Cardiac
04-06-2003, 00:42
8/8/00, some time in the afternoon, I started ticking, and if i can't hear the tich any more it will be all over. Yep....Ticken is a good sound for me. So now I run Hot Rod valves on the top end of my hart and my duelly Dmax on the street.

Just keep on Ticking!

britannic
04-06-2003, 08:59
I'm so glad I found this thread, because I thought I had a severe case of Deathwatch Beetle in my engine and have been trying to figure out which component was made of oak... :D redface.gif smile.gif ;) tongue.gif :D :D

Mike Fultz
04-08-2003, 08:39
I started to hear the tick at just after the first oil change with Rotella. Sounded more like expansion of heat shields at first. Then a 2002 3500 D/A pulled alongside of me and his tick was louder than I had ever heard. Since then I just ignore it. In my 03 I can't hear it from inside the truck. Next oil change might be DELO if I can find it locally in Northern Virginia.

Mike

BTW now I have two vehicles that tick. My Harley Davidson has a similiar tick known as the "Twin Cam Tick".