PDA

View Full Version : Long Distance Towing with the Duramax

White Knight
07-04-2003, 05:43
We just got back from a six week trip from the Midwest to the West coast. We pulled a 27 ft. Airstream and went out on I-64, I-44, I-40, I-25, I-10 and I-8. We returned on I-15, I-70 and I-64. Most of the time we kept the cruse locked in on 60 MPH. Since we are retired, we were more interested in seeing the country than in making a little better time. The rig did an admirable job, especially on the high, mountain passes, including the Eisenhower Tunnel.

Fuel prices ranged from $1.249 in MO and AZ to $1.899 in San Diego, CA. I later found fuel at another San Diego station for $1.659. While on the road, we got most of our fuel at Flying J. They seemed to be spaced to match my factory fuel capacity. The Flying J stations were usually crowded and had a waiting line to get to a fuel pump. While in San Diego, I changed my oil, oil filter and fuel filter.

Going west, we drove 2189 miles and averaged 14.164 MPG and 52.62 MPH. On the return trip, we drove 2180 miles and averaged 14.075 MPG and 51.905 MPH. All the averages were for towing.

I was very pleased with the performance of the D-Max.

pinehill
07-04-2003, 17:15
That Air Stream of yours is probably worth about 2+ mpg compared to the mileage you'd get with other TT makes. Sounds like you had a great trip!

AbqGeorge
07-05-2003, 10:49
I-40 to I-25 (through Albuquerque) and you didn't even toot the horn or wave at me?

Sounds like you had a great trip. I seem to average around 10.5 to 11 while towing a higher profile (probably) fifth wheel. I tend to run pretty close to the speed limits around here also.

Decided to avoid the Fourth of July bedlam and stay home this weekend. Just trying to stay cool!

George, but-it's-a-dry-heat Albuquerque :cool:

Norm B
07-08-2003, 17:30
Hmmm. Better mileage going west than going east? Usually the winds kill my mileage going west. Worst tank towing 8.8mpg towing against winds in Nevada all day while my average is usually around 11.8MPG. It was a day that I would liked to have had the OD lockout on my 20002.

Glad you had an enjoyable trip.

conradv
07-08-2003, 18:40
I just got back from a 5,300 mile round trip with my Crew Cab LB D/A

It had 17,000 miles before the trip.

Towed a 6'x12' Uhaul (double axle) jam packed full of furniture, and had the bed of the pickup stacked up to the cab.

Drove from northern Idaho to Fort Polk Louisiana to move my step-daughter-in-law.

Going down, got 14-1/2 miles per gallon, and driving back without Uhaul & 1/2 full bed got 18-1/2.

Most speeds were over 70 mph, and usually 75.

There is a DEFINITE difference when that tach climbs over 2000 rpm! On stretches where I drove 60mph, the mpg was a lot better.

I took about every tool I had, changed all the filters before the trip, brought extra fuel filters, etc..., and never had a problem.

Man, that XM radio was nice.

AlaskaDmax
07-09-2003, 16:38
Greetings all,
I ran from Anchorage Alaska to Brunswick Georgia last fall pulling a 25' Jayco Quest. I got between 11-15 mpg the whole way...lots of mountains and VAST temperature changes. I took a 2000 mile trip this 4th-o-July weekend pulling the same camper from Colorado through Nebraska to Missouri and back to Colorado. The mileage was terrible...had to run the air conditioner the whole time as the temps were between 100 and 107...got about 10mpg at best. As I was going west on 70, the winds were hitting 65-75 mph with tornado warnings...that didn't help the fuel efficiency one bit. It is true, however, that if you maintain 2000 or less rpm you will see better fuel mileage. Anything over 2000 rpm and you will see the cash disappear out of your wallet quicker.