PDA

View Full Version : EGT installed

XLR8 2 DMAX
03-17-2003, 23:36
I finally installed my EGT gauge. My install was a little different, I installed it in the center console next to the cup holders. It was very simple. The cup holder assemble pops right out. Pull the removeable rubber mat out and drill whole and install gauge. I can put rubber mat back in to completely conceal gauge for those of you who are worried about trips to the dealer. I was surprised to see how fast temperatures go up. I did a 0-80 run in level 4 with "hot juice" and hit 1300. Does this seem normal? It seems to me if the gauge was inaccurate it would read cooler not hotter.

a64pilot
03-18-2003, 08:10
XL,
1300 with the kind of power you are making is probably about right. More fuel without more air has to come at higher EGT's.
Factor in summer weather, a trailer and a hill and you can see how easy it would be to cook your pistons if you are not monitoring your EGT.
1300 is what most people say is the max safe limit.
IMHO any type of "fueling box", or software reprogramming requires monitoring EGT's.
Congragulate yourself you are one of the smart ones.

XLR8 2 DMAX
03-18-2003, 08:32
A64pilot,
Thanks for the response. I was really surprised to see how fast the temperature reached max. I guess I need to start looking into a new exhaust system, or at least free flow muffler.

BKColeman
03-18-2003, 08:51
Got pics?

I don't recall ever seeing one installed there? Is it hard to see while driving?

hoot
03-18-2003, 09:29
Check out my signature for some install pics.

XLR8 2 DMAX
03-18-2003, 19:07
BK,
I have pic's, but have no idea how to post them here. If you want I can email them to you. As far as seeing gauge while driving, a quick glance down is all it takes.