PDA

View Full Version : GM service bulletin on dyed fuel?

hump
12-07-2003, 17:47
A guy who works at the local dealership told me that GM will not warranty fuel pumps run on dyed fuel. They say dye particles clog up orifices so no deal. I bought my truck from a guy I think ran dyed fuel almost exclusively (bad man!!). Any truth to their claim or just a way to void warranty.

a5150nut
12-07-2003, 21:27
I guess Caterpilar, Cummins, and Detroit build better motors. They don't have a problem with red fuel. I know several people who run red in Fords and Dodges and they don't have any trouble. Least not until they get caught for tax evation.... :rolleyes:

catmandoo
12-08-2003, 05:30
about 15 yrs ago i had a gallon of fuel dye actually it was for gas and it said if i remember correctly to use at a rate of 2 or 3 oz per 5000 gallons.at a rate like that i wouldn't think the particles would be big enough to get caught in anything.how would they tell other than pulling off a fuel filter.if your not currently using it and need service on the ip i don't see anyway to tell.

markelectric
12-08-2003, 14:23
That diesel fuel dye will permantly stain ANYTHING it comes in contact with. I used to work for a string of fuel stations and have personal experience with the s@#t. It would take only one mistake and a person would respect it for life.

catmandoo
12-08-2003, 15:44
wonder if it's the same stuff banks use in those dye packs for bank robbers.

jlog
12-08-2003, 18:38
There are hundreds of thousands of diesel pick-ups of all brands sold to farmers and off road industry that use nothing but dyed fuel. I don't think there has ever been any issue with fuel system problems related to the dyed fuel nor and warranty claims denied
John

Kidd
12-08-2003, 19:15
No, GM doesn't care if you run dyed fuel, my neighbour had his fuel pump and injector pump replaced under warranty. Not a peep about dyed fuel. I think if the particles were big enough to bother anything the fuel filters should deal with them.

K.D.

moondoggie
12-09-2003, 03:07
Good Day!

Interesting topic! I ran ≈ 250 gallons (completely legally) through my pickup two years ago, & figured I might do it again next spring. I had no problems whatsoever, but...

I'll be watching this topic.

Blessings!

Brian Johnson, #5044