PDA

View Full Version : You gotta read this-Fuel filter wouldn't prime

MountainMax
07-04-2003, 17:47
I changed my fuel filter again. Done it before twice no problems. This time I pumped the primer literally thousands of times. I had a blue bruise on my palm yet no fuel. The air bleed screw (new stainless) was open as well as the gas cap off. I took the filter off. All seals good. I pumped the primer with the filter off. No fuel. Towing to a dealer was not going to be an option. I was in my driveway. Maybe I should of turned the truck around. The nose would have been more downhill.
Anyways I got to thinking. The fuel pump is upline from the filter and pulls a vacuum. The hand primer must pull a vacuum too. What if I could pressurize the gas tank a little and push the fuel to the filter?
I looked at the filler opening and tried to figure out how I could make a seal and put compressed air in. I ran into the house and started digging through the dog's toy basket. What are you doing my wife asked. Ah ha. a tennis ball. I ran back outside, cut it in half and turned one half in side out. I punched a small hole though it. I mounted the ball inflating needle on the end of the compressor hose and pushed it through the hole. I then pushed the rubber side of the ball into the filler neck. I pushed it tight with my finger tips and squeezed the lever gently. The tank filled with air and belched. I continued this for a minute or two. When I went around to the filter assembly, It was covered and dripping sweet, beautiful diesel. I closed the bleeder screw and it started right up. Ya hoo.

letsgo
07-04-2003, 18:11
I had to smile when I read your method of pressurizing the fuel tank, I envisioned the plastic fuel tank blowing up like a big balloon poof!!! good idea !!! I usually wrap a rag around the air nozzel.

good luck

afp
07-04-2003, 18:21
Good tip!!!

britannic
07-04-2003, 23:21
Necessity is the mother of invention! Good job!! :D So now you've just got to figure out what's up with the priming pump - next time you may not have access to an air compressor. :confused:

Lone Eagle
07-05-2003, 11:23
Sounds like a new project to me. An onboard compressor to back up the Racor. Later! Lone Eagle :D

dmaxalliTech
07-06-2003, 17:25
I use a similer method when priming after MEGA installs, Thats alot of fuel to push, only takes a minute or two doing it that way

Jelisfc
07-07-2003, 07:48
To heck with a lift pump. Just run a slight positive pressure on the tank.

BigO
07-07-2003, 08:32
Why was the fuel cap off? Isn't that the problem? I changed mine and only opened the bleeder screw. Maybe I am missing that you are ragging on somebody. IF so then igonore this post.

MountainMax
07-07-2003, 10:36
The purpose of having the filler cap off is so a vacuum won't form in the tank as you are trying to pull fuel to the filter during priming. If it was hot when you park and it cools down over night then there can be a small neg. pressure in the tank as the vapors condense. Opening the filler cap eliminates any pressure problems. Besides, its recommended in the diesel page article :D

Lone Eagle
07-07-2003, 12:18
My cap has a small diaphram check valve that lets air in. This is a different than the cap on my my 99 gaser that had the pump in the tank. Later! Lone Eagle

PS: Our pumps do not suck fuel. Atmospheric pressure pushes the fuel to low pressure inlet side of the pump. :D

Silver Bullet
01-11-2004, 16:33
MountainMax,
Great tip on pressurizing the tank. I had a 5 hr. fuel filter change today. And I was finally able to get 'er started after several tries using your descibed method.

sdaver
01-11-2004, 18:05
turn on ignition to on position ..unscrew bleeder.........let air bleed tighten bleeder.........crank truck.....2 minutes tops.......by the way I have a fm 100 lift pump :D :D

Silver Bullet
01-11-2004, 18:52
Very nice Daver! :D A lift pump may be in my future!!!

a bear
01-13-2004, 21:59
turn on ignition to on position ..unscrew bleeder.........let air bleed tighten bleeder.........crank truck.....2 minutes tops.......by the way I have a fm 100 lift pump
Same thing as Daver but with the AC Delco pump. :D :D