PDA

View Full Version : Problems with '04 Duramax

Beth
08-28-2005, 04:14
Sorry if this has been covered, I tried to do some searching but I have dial-up and it is a nightmare because it is so slow.

Husband has a '04 Silverado Duramax, pretty sure it's the LB7. Has about 18,000 miles. We did have it to a dealer a few weeks back because we thought it had a new, extra noise (knock/tick, etc.) at about 1800-2000 RPM's, especially while towing our 27' camper. Dealer gave us the TSB and said it was normal. To be honest, I don't even think they looked at anything, just took it for a drive.

So yesterday, we are on the interstate, travelling at a steady speed of ~65 MPH, not towing anything, and the engine makes a sound like it is missing, or a few seconds of a louder knock, and then a huge cloud of white smoke behind us. We thought it was all over and we would be stuck on the side of the road. But it cleared up and it ran fine, we made it the few miles home. No loss of power. Although I do think it may have still been smoking a very tiny bit, it was hard to tell. Nothing really obvious.

I will be calling (a different) dealer tomorrow morning, but I like to be prepared. Does it sound like the injectors? If so, will they replace all of them, or do I have to fight to have that done? If I do need to push for it, what is the best way to go about it? Call GM, etc? How long does injector replacement take?

Thank you for any help you can give me. I appreciate it.

Beth

Edited to add: Is there a way they can actually test the injectors to see if they are bad?

[ 08-28-2005, 05:30 AM: Message edited by: Beth ]

Tough Guy
08-28-2005, 07:51
Welcome to the Diesel Page!

I'm sure others will chime in with more info....

Has the check engine light ever come on?

Did the dealer/tech pull any codes?

Did they or you replace the fuel filter?

Are there any engine/performance related aftermarket products in/on your truck?

Are you running #2 Diesel or Bio-D/WVO?

Cheers

Beth
08-29-2005, 02:40
Hi, Thanks! Here ya go:

Has the check engine light ever come on? NO

Did the dealer/tech pull any codes? NO (again, not sure if they even hooked it up to the computer, even though they were supposed to)

Did they or you replace the fuel filter? YES - we replaced the fuel filter that day after we got it back from the dealer

Are there any engine/performance related aftermarket products in/on your truck? NO - nothing aftermarket at all, all stock

Are you running #2 Diesel or Bio-D/WVO? #2 Diesel

- We are also wondering if we just got some bad diesel. After thinking about it a bit, we had just put fuel in about 15 miles back at a place we had never stopped at before. Would that have caused this problem in the truck? If so, will a fuel additive take care of the water? Does any kind of additive like this mess with the warranty?

Thanks!
Beth

Kennedy
08-29-2005, 11:07
There is a bulletin from GM: Document ID# 1696688

While it primarily addresses idle smoke, it would be my suggestion that you look into it and see if it applies. It is basically an ECM recalibration.

Beth
08-30-2005, 02:41
Thank you, I will look at that.

Beth